What's the meaning of life? What keeps you going?

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2016, 5:47 pm

Inability to stop it all.

Poor motivation

Malaise
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Apr 2016, 8:12 pm

When I was depressed, I didn't know why I got up in the mornings and did so mostly because it would be worse if I didn't.

Post-depression where I don't know what to feel or do anymore, it's the same. I don't know what matters now that surviving and keeping my head down around violent people isn't my #1. Nothing motivates me, not money, not love, not even stuff like video games or food or movies. I just know that eventually, I'll be in physical pain if I stay in bed and people will come looking for me.

I assume sooner or later I'll figure something out, or not. All the same destination.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 6:56 am

There is no meaning to life, as I am an existentialist, so I belive to add my own meaning.

And if your own individual mean is 'nothing', than your meaning to life is nothing.

We choose our own meaning to life, in my view.

And my goal is to reach my physical, mental and genetic peak as a person, to always live life to the fullest espeically while young, but to also value the extra years I will have on this world in middle age and elderly-hood.

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2016, 9:51 pm

I suffered really badly woth depression at a point in my life and found one strange thing kept me going.

I kept thinking what if I walk around the corner tommorow and my life changes. What if I suddenly come into money or meet the man of my dreams. If I killed myself I would be denying myself a chance to improve my life.

Also I fought that maybe I could help someone in some small way who had also suffered

Set yourself a goal, if you have nothing to life for then make something. Write a book, aim to get a job or to save up and travel. Most importantly don't give up on that goal.

ZD
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 2:37 am

I love programming so I do that for a job, I have my kids so I entertain them. Other than my life is pretty empty. Having someone in my life again would be nice but I am realising I don't require it. (some people do)

Alliekit wrote:
I suffered really badly woth depression at a point in my life and found one strange thing kept me going.

I kept thinking what if I walk around the corner tommorow and my life changes. What if I suddenly come into money or meet the man of my dreams. If I killed myself I would be denying myself a chance to improve my life.

Also I fought that maybe I could help someone in some small way who had also suffered

Set yourself a goal, if you have nothing to life for then make something. Write a book, aim to get a job or to save up and travel. Most importantly don't give up on that goal.

+1

Sorry you have suffered with depression it's an on and off battle for me and your outlook is exactly as it should be. :mrgreen: It's all about finding a purpose for yourself.

(You do the same misspelling as me for Tomorrow (Tommorow) I always getting it wrong if I text it :S)

aspieinaz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Apr 2016, 3:23 am

I know it's really hard when you feel depressed, but if you can do a little bit of exercise each day, maybe ten minutes, it should help brighten your mood. Just take one day at a time and tell yourself that you will do just one thing for exercise, walk, run, jump rope, whatever you can do, just do one thing a day.

I try to help people in small ways too. You never know when helping someone in a small way can make a big difference in their life.

I agree with a previous poster, that you never know what might be just around the corner in your life. I went through a huge depression in my 20's now that I am in my 60's I am so glad that I stuck around. Awesome days don't happen often, but I have had many in my life that were worth waiting for. So many unexpected things have happened that I never would have dreamed of. I think that despite my age, there will still be some more awesome days. Meanwhile, I will just go through the hum drum of my daily life and see what tomorrow brings.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 3:31 am

i was born to create. to draft, to build, to make.

i am surrounded by my creations, and that which inspires said creations.

i'm at my happiest when i devise that which has not been done before.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 5:43 am

ZD wrote:
I love programming so I do that for a job, I have my kids so I entertain them. Other than my life is pretty empty. Having someone in my life again would be nice but I am realising I don't require it. (some people do)

Alliekit wrote:

+1

Sorry you have suffered with depression it's an on and off battle for me and your outlook is exactly as it should be. :mrgreen: It's all about finding a purpose for yourself.

(You do the same misspelling as me for Tomorrow (Tommorow) I always getting it wrong if I text it :S)

Thank you I appreciate that. I still suffer but I know when I'm getting in a bad spot earlier now and can dealt with it

I'm on a phone hehehehe so my brain often moves faster then my fingers

ZD
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 8:35 am

Alliekit wrote:
ZD wrote:

Alliekit wrote:

+1

Thank you I appreciate that. I still suffer but I know when I'm getting in a bad spot earlier now and can dealt with it

I'm on a phone hehehehe so my brain often moves faster then my fingers

Yeah it's learning those warning signs, took me a long time.

Haha it's always my phone I send random words out on for the same reason, finger trying to keep up :) (I actually added Tommorow by accident into my dictionary for awhile :S)

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 9:01 am

1. Do no harm.
2. Make the world better in whatever way you can, even if it's only in a small way or for a single person. There's always someone who needs the kind of help that you can give. (Focusing only on your own needs is the fast track to depression & misery.)
3. Tell the truth as much and as often as you can without getting yourself killed for it. Unless it's for a really good cause.
4. Find your talent / passion; give them a reason to say "wow."
5. Try not to be a burden, and/or balance it out with something good.
6. Appreciate when others do any of the above, and tell them.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2016, 1:13 am

Outrider wrote:
There is no meaning to life, as I am an existentialist, so I belive to add my own meaning.

And if your own individual mean is 'nothing', than your meaning to life is nothing.

We choose our own meaning to life, in my view.

i agree.

and i chose TO CREATE, because, i have to.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

aspieinaz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Apr 2016, 1:44 am

Thanks Tahitiii, I liked your six points. Still trying to find my talent though, and at age 63 it's looking like I may not find it.