Who here likes me and still wants to be friends?

Page 18 of 30 [ 471 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 30  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 1:45 am

Teach51 wrote:
I hope everyone is satisfied with themselves
for lynching Sly without a trial, shaming him, ganging up on him and going for the jugular, deliberately baiting him, pushing him into a corner and exploiting the opportunity for revenge while taking his analogies and twisting them to paint him as a racist. Sly is not a racist and what happened on that thread was pure cruelty.

I saw it was only Alex that did it. Also he finds the use of the word lynch offensive.

And I didn't see the post Sly made so I made no judgment about it. I only asked about it.

My advice would be just don't write it out or even say the word. Refer it as "the N word."

So sorry if you feel I piled up on him. That was not my intention.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 1:54 am

Wait...am I reading this correct? who used the n-word...teach?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 1:55 am

Teach51 wrote:
for lynching Sly without a trial, shaming him, ganging up on him and going for the jugular, deliberately baiting him, pushing him into a corner and exploiting the opportunity for revenge while taking his analogies and twisting them to paint him as a racist. Sly is not a racist and what happened on that thread was pure cruelty.

No, that outcome wasn't ideal or intended. Now you know why I started offering him 'outs' earlier, and then explictily referred to them as such in case the hint was missed.

I don't believe he would view himself as such, but we know he's open about sympathizing with groups that are. That doesn't mean he doesn't deserve to participate here but that also doesn't mean that I'm a bully for calling his support for those groups what it is. He isn't a horrible person, he sometimes supports stuff that's morally questionable. The two aren't the same. The problem is that horrible causes succeed sometimes when they win over normal people, those relatively normal people don't turn into cartoon villains, they're still relatively normal people. Treating them as though they're irredeemable makes it harder to get them to abandon those causes, but that doesn't mean we can just pretend they're not supporting those causes either.

Pepe and Sly made poor choices of metaphors that given the context were bound to look way worse than they realized. Haven't they both apologized, we're all prone to saying the wrong thing so I'd advocate allowing great tolerance for that.

Alex's comments regarding lynch were perfectly reasonable given the context of the discussion. Alex seemed overall quite reasonable in terms of 'calling it like it is'. We can't pretend this stuff isn't a concern or isn't worth considering.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 1:58 am

Everyone who brought in his old threads and poured gasoline on the fire knew fully well that they were putting him in a position of attack. It was deliberate and unfair. He compared how hurtful being compared to a white supremacist is to being as heinous as the n word. That was clear, as Pepe pointed out. Just a comparison of severity of meaning. Someone wanted Sly lynched and riled up the crowd and all his nemeses joined in. How could that happen?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 1:59 am

AuroraBorealisGazer wrote:
^ I think that thread got way out of hand. I think a lot of it came down to incompatible communication styles, and that Alex doesn't know you and Pepe very well. I hope you are doing okay.

Only time before me and Pepe then Brit and others are banned or leave. I’m not ok. My week was already going bad.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 2:01 am

Teach51 wrote:
Everyone who brought in his old threads and poured gasoline on the fire knew fully well that they were putting him in a position of attack. It was deliberate and unfair. He compared how hurtful being compared to a white supremacist is to being as heinous as the n word. That was clear, as Pepe pointed out. Just a comparison of severity of meaning. Someone wanted Sly lynched and riled up the crowd and all his nemeses joined in. How could that happen?

How many people are you talking about Teach? from what I can see in this thread everyone is supportive of Sly, I don't quite understand your accusations of "Everyone pouring gasoline"?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 2:02 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Teach51 wrote:

No, that outcome wasn't ideal or intended. Now you know why I started offering him 'outs' earlier, and then explictily referred to them as such in case the hint was missed.

I don't believe he would view himself as such, but we know he's open about sympathizing with groups that are. That doesn't mean he doesn't deserve to participate here but that also doesn't mean that I'm a bully for calling his support for those groups what it is. He isn't a horrible person, he sometimes supports stuff that's morally questionable. The two aren't the same. The problem is that horrible causes succeed sometimes when they win over normal people, those relatively normal people don't turn into cartoon villains, they're still relatively normal people. Treating them as though they're irredeemable makes it harder to get them to abandon those causes, but that doesn't mean we can just pretend they're not supporting those causes either.

Pepe and Sly made poor choices of metaphors that given the context were bound to look way worse than they realized. Haven't they both apologized, we're all prone to saying the wrong thing so I'd advocate allowing great tolerance for that.

Alex's comments regarding lynch were perfectly reasonable given the context of the discussion. Alex seemed overall quite reasonable in terms of 'calling it like it is'. We can't pretend this stuff isn't a concern or isn't worth considering.

f**k off. You hate me cause I don’t support blm and I don’t automatically side with black people in any situation. I don’t supoort any white supremist or racial groups. If you’d said that to me in person I’d sue you.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 2:03 am

Teach51 wrote:

That sort of behaviour, coupled with what appears to be an indifference by the owner to the concerns brough forward by many members demonstrated what the site has become, and it appears it is now beyond redemption...Having a moderator aware for mutiple weeks of attacks on Sly that were allowed to remain up, when the moderator had acknowledged they should have been removed (with user probably banned) certainly makes it look like it wasn't just members who were working up to this sort of situation.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 2:04 am

So who is attacking Sly,,,,why is everyone talking in riddles?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 2:10 am

sly279 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Teach51 wrote:

f**k off. You hate me cause I don’t support blm and I don’t automatically side with black people in any situation. I don’t supoort any white supremist or racial groups. If you’d said that to me in person I’d sue you.

I don't hate you, I think you support racist groups. The two aren't mutually exclusive, otherwise I couldn't enjoy Burzum. I'm more complex than the caricature you've tried to create.

I believe you're entitled to participate here because you're also someone with an ASD who needs support. That's why we're here. You have friends here who will miss you. I've tried to be friendly to you even in spite of our disagreements because I don't believe driving you out of here will benefit anyone, not me, not you, not any political cause, not the board, etc. I wasn't posting Stupid Fox to torment you, I was doing it because I hoped it would show that there's things we both enjoy.

Ragequitting because people don't hate me and even agree with me won't make anyone feel better. My feelings aren't relevant, but yours are. People like you even in spite of things they might dislike, just like the rest of us.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 2:10 am

Cyber, read the thread, Making WP a Better Place, it has been locked now.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 2:12 am

Teach51 wrote:

Ok sorry...

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 2:12 am

sly279 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Teach51 wrote:

Unfortunately, there are ignorant people who associate anyone who doesn't support THEIR side as being bigots and racists...They simply demonstrate their own bigotry, racism, and hatred in doing so, and it's best not to lower yourself to their level in responding to them (as tempting as it can be).

Don't hate him and his ilk, pity them for their lack of understanding\ignorance of these simple concepts.

If you want, Send me (or any of your other friends who have moved\are moving there) a message at AF...Looks like we'll be spending more time there from now on.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 2:14 am

I'm sorry if I failed you Sly. I did everything I could to show the moderators what was happening for you, me, Magna, and others who were pulled into this nightmare by association. I know you better than anyone on this site, past or present. I have spoken to you daily for two years, during all of our ups and our downs. I have never once in the history of our friendship heard you utter a word of racism, intolerance, or hatred toward any group of people. You won't even kill a fly. The fact that you were branded a WS was beyond comprehension for me, because you supported BLM but wanted peaceful protests for change, without injury to any person. You did not support any marches, any intolerance, or any aggression.

For that, you were physically threatened, mocked with derogatory metaphors, and shamed for seeking help. You don't deserve what happened. I will stand by you, just as I would stand by any of my friends on Wrong Planet.

And to WP: Thanks for the memories. I did my best.

Last edited by IsabellaLinton on 23 Aug 2020, 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 2:16 am

Teach51 wrote:

Wow! that thread drifted way off it's original intended purpose....

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 2:17 am

Brictoria wrote:
..Looks like we'll be spending more time there from now on.

Saying goodbye as well Bric?