Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2009, 6:14 pm

anyone else seem to find that their tastes are found odd by NTs?
(also, any strange-sounding but delicious food combo suggestions you wish to share?)

like one time i was making a peanut butter milkshake, and then thought i would taste awesome if i were to add jelly. & i did, and it turned out ok. but the rest of my family was like, "noooope, i don't want to try that, sounds weird." just made sense to me though since peanut butter and jelly are famously good together.

or another time i put barbecue sauce on my baked potato. not bad. I figured if barbecue flavoring was good on potato chips, why not on baked potatoes?

or the fact that i'll eat leftovers cold and not really care. and people will be like, "ughh, you're not going to heat that up??" some things i just like better cold. and some things i just don't care 'cause it's not like the flavor really changes whether it's hot or cold anyhow. However there are some things that are just bad cold, or even disgusting.

or another time i put a little salt & pepper into my pepsi when i was little. it actually wasn't that bad. gave it an interesting taste. not bad, not good.

also other stuff.
anyone else have anything similar to relate?

Last edited by Seanmw on 21 Nov 2009, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Klint
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2009, 6:44 pm

I can't think of a food example right now, but I do like to mix sodas whenever I'm in a place that lets you fill your own cup. :)

Sometimes it tastes fine, other times it tastes great, and occasionally it just tastes gross. :wink:

beejay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Nov 2009, 7:43 pm

When I eat breakfast and I'm eating pancakes with either bacon or sausage, I'll dunk the meat in the syrup...maybe that's not too strange. When I was younger, I would dip the bacon/sausage in the milk for my cereal. I also dip entire hamburgers in ketchup, not just french fries.

I'm sure there are other weird things I eat/do with food.

My fellow Americans. As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball; but tonight I say, we must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2009, 10:44 pm

Klint wrote:
I can't think of a food example right now, but I do like to mix sodas whenever I'm in a place that lets you fill your own cup. :)

Sometimes it tastes fine, other times it tastes great, and occasionally it just tastes gross. :wink:
lol, yeah, i used to do that all the time.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2009, 10:46 pm

beejay wrote:
When I eat breakfast and I'm eating pancakes with either bacon or sausage, I'll dunk the meat in the syrup...maybe that's not too strange. When I was younger, I would dip the bacon/sausage in the milk for my cereal. I also dip entire hamburgers in ketchup, not just french fries.

I'm sure there are other weird things I eat/do with food.
dunking the meat in syrup isn't so strange. Idk if all that many people do it though.
bacon+maple syrup=delicious :)

iquanyin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Nov 2009, 11:53 pm

i've made those things you mention, except the shake. but i made peanut butter and jelly pancakes and they're fine. also fine in hot cereal.

and salt--perks up everything. why not soda? tibetans make their tea with salt and yak butter.

i eat what appeals to me. and yes, sometimes people laugh. but if they try it, not so much ;)

read this somewhere: it's easier to get a man to change his religion than his diet.

willa
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2009, 12:21 am

I dont get accused of having weird taste, i get accused of having boring taste.
I like things plain, not mixed with too many things. Like if i go out and get a chicken sandwich, it'll always come with lettuce, tomato, pickle sometimes. I'll take that off, each just the chicken on the bun, maybe some mayo, and i'll eat the lettuce and tomato on the side (as if it's like a cheap salad =P), and then the pickle.

People always look at me weird if i'm out and they are not familiar with my peculier eating habits. They always say "why dont you just keep it on the sandwich and eat it all at once?" I just like them separated, together it's just too much, you lose the flavor of the individual components.

I also enjoy milk with odd things. I love to have milk with pizza and that for some reason grosses people out. Also if i'm eating ice cream. I dont think it's weird and i crave it, but people think it is very weird.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2009, 9:44 am

I recently had spilt my pepsi in my chips, I weirdly loved it and my mates were like ewwww, you must be crazy to do that? :lol:

You know those weetabix bars, I used to eat that alot without the milk and sugar on top, i used to love eating it like that and yes that is strange, :lol: but you'll find its taste better without milk, until I realsed it wasn't good for my teeth. :(

I have even dipped crisps in yogurt, and it tasted weirdly good :lol:

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2009, 1:39 pm

iquanyin wrote:
i've made those things you mention, except the shake. but i made peanut butter and jelly pancakes and they're fine. also fine in hot cereal.

and salt--perks up everything. why not soda? tibetans make their tea with salt and yak butter.

i eat what appeals to me. and yes, sometimes people laugh. but if they try it, not so much ;)

read this somewhere: it's easier to get a man to change his religion than his diet.
any odd but delicious food combos to suggest :) ?
i'm sure everyone has at least a few haha

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2009, 1:43 pm

superboyian wrote:
I recently had spilt my pepsi in my chips, I weirdly loved it and my mates were like ewwww, you must be crazy to do that? :lol:

You know those weetabix bars, I used to eat that alot without the milk and sugar on top, i used to love eating it like that and yes that is strange, :lol: but you'll find its taste better without milk, until I realsed it wasn't good for my teeth. :(

pepsi and french fries actually aren't bad together, i can understand why that'd be good :)

i'm not even sure what weetabix is. i've never heard of them.

potato chips in yogurt doesn't sound half bad. interesting. another good thing in yogurt is crushed graham crackers :). it's better in berry-flavored yogurts though.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Nov 2009, 3:30 pm

iquanyin wrote:
I read this somewhere: it's easier to get a man to change his religion than his diet.

I can totally confirm that, as someone who has increasingly followed a gluten-free ( and low-sugar ) diet over the last 15 odd years ( because of the effect that gluten has on my mental health, mainly ).

Not only did it take me a very long time to adjust/transition, but, because it has so successfully cured my previously chronic/persistent depression, anxiety, mood disorder, brain-fog etc, I also keep telling people about it, and it never ceases to amaze me that people are so attached to their diet that they would rather suffer permanent anxiety and depression, and the increasing cognitive impairment often associated with gluten intolerance, for example, than change their diet.

Odd food mixtures:

In France, where I live, ( although I'm english ), just putting plain yoghurt on a savoury ( and spicy ) dish is considered most weird; to them yoghurt is a dessert, or breakfast food. But I learned to do it from Indian restaurants. Raita! :D

Avocado and tinned tuna mashed up together, with garlic; is that odd? I like it.

Making a curry out of tinned pilchards in tomato sauce; I used to love that.

I can remember when eating breakfast cereals dry out of the packet, like chips/crisps, was radical/daring! I don't eat most cereals anymore tho.

Another mixture I love is yeast extract ( think a sweetish/creamier kind of Marmite ), with cream cheese or peanut butter, on rice cakes. And dipping big crunchy juicy lettuce leaves in yeast extract. Mmmm!

iquanyin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Nov 2009, 9:45 pm

my mind kinda blanks out on lists (i hate that!)

but here's one i've liked: adding yogurt to peanut butter. it lightens and sweetens the peanut butter, and there's a ton of flavors to choose from. greek gods yogurt or yoplait are the best, because they're rich and desserty.

also, taking my cue from india, fruit (or jam) is great on curry. that's perfectly standard in indian culture, but weird over here.

taking my cue from italy, i dunk all kinds of things in olive oil, like how people dunk cookies in milk. (i think italians just dunk bread).

i'm likely to remain alone on this one, but sometimes i add coffee or carmel or vanilla yogurt to coffee.

i like yogurt, but the reason it features so much in my combos is the live cultures. they provide enzymes your body needs (but has only a set amount of, at birth) to digest food. i was amazed to learn awhile back that when you use these up, you die. so any living food with those enzymes extends your life. unless you get hit by a bus or something.

also: butter a slice of bread, top with cheddar cheese, top that with brown sugar, and pop it in the microwave...

(i wonder if anyone will try these...)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2009, 11:20 pm

I've found that since I've been eating meat and produce for supper, that my mental health has improved a lot. I've started that in late August, early September. I've also lost 16 lbs since than.

iquanyin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Nov 2009, 11:32 pm

i ate pretty much meat and produce, period, for about 3 years. i felt great too, and lost some weight (wasn't trying to, but didn't mind it either).

it's my diet of choice, when i can afford it.

HaliaTotheres
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Nov 2009, 8:23 am

I enjoy regular potatoe chips on french vanilla ice cream. My dad eats bologne wrapped around little cinnamon and pecan pinwheels, i think it's gross :P

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2009, 8:34 am

Seanmw wrote:
superboyian wrote:

pepsi and french fries actually aren't bad together, i can understand why that'd be good :)

i'm not even sure what weetabix is. i've never heard of them.

potato chips in yogurt doesn't sound half bad. interesting. another good thing in yogurt is crushed graham crackers :). it's better in berry-flavored yogurts though.

They have them in the UK but i don't think they sell them in america, they're quite tasty i must say :D as i used to have it without milk with sugar on top. I would of ended up so hyper in the morning :D