State your TRIVIA that anyone barely know.

Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2015, 6:21 pm

auntblabby wrote:
the heads clogged and the belts wore out on my various DAT machines long ago, and I didn't really have the duckie$ to fix them. so I just invested in a zoom H2 digital recorder and put 'em in a drawer someplace.
"

Not familiar with the zoom H2.

A DJ who had the time slot before me at the radio station years ago used a handy little thing that he would plug into the head phone jack of a cassette deck installed in the radio studio (and would put the cassette in record mode to 'hear' his show) and would record his show onto the little digital thing through the cassette deck. It was... I dunno-kinda the size of a TV remote- with a chord coming out of one end.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2015, 6:31 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Not familiar with the zoom H2. A DJ who had the time slot before me at the radio station years ago used a handy little thing that he would plug into the head phone jack of a cassette deck installed in the radio studio (and would put the cassette in record mode to 'hear' his show) and would record his show onto the little digital thing through the cassette deck. It was... I dunno-kinda the size of a TV remote- with a chord coming out of one end.

does your fellow DJ's gizmo look like this?-
THAT is a zoom H2. a digital chip recorder. no moving parts. superior performance to my DAT.

carbink
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 May 2015, 2:32 pm

steven stone has steel-blue eyes in the anime, but yellow in the manga, as well as blue-green elsewhere.

avalugg has the highest base defense stat.

ruby and sapphire are technically the same, as they have the same chemical makeup, except there is more iron in rubies, causing them to have a red coloring.

in french, steven is called pierre, but this is also brock's name, so he is referred to as p. rochard or just rochard

although it is called the "ocean gem" or "water gem", lapis lazuli will dissolve if placed in water

cats can form "wings" from rubbing objects too vigorously which is actually just folds of tissue and serve no actual purpose; flying cats would be weird

if a polydactyl cat's extra toes can move, they might be able to open doors with elongated handles

turkish vans are adept at climbing as well as swimming; it is believed that they began to swim after they saw fish swimming in the lake

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2015, 2:36 pm

cats purr with a similar type of mechanism that lions use to roar- an extendable segment of tubular muscle between their vocal chords and trachea.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2015, 3:56 pm

auntblabby wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Not familiar with the zoom H2. A DJ who had the time slot before me at the radio station years ago used a handy little thing that he would plug into the head phone jack of a cassette deck installed in the radio studio (and would put the cassette in record mode to 'hear' his show) and would record his show onto the little digital thing through the cassette deck. It was... I dunno-kinda the size of a TV remote- with a chord coming out of one end.

does your fellow DJ's gizmo look like this?-
THAT is a zoom H2. a digital chip recorder. no moving parts. superior performance to my DAT.

He left the station years ago. But that could be the thing he used.
Can a person still obtain them?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2015, 4:43 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
He left the station years ago. But that could be the thing he used.
Can a person still obtain them?

yup. though nowadays there are things that do what it does at less cost, like about $100. mine cost $180 in 2010.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 11:56 pm

b9 wrote:
i am always interested in the scale of things, but rarely do i ever see information that conveys scale very well.
for example, i always wondered how big mt everest really looked in scale to a familiar frame of reference. then i realized that all photos of mt everest taken from the foot of it are actually showing a 10,000 -12,000 ft mountain due to the fact that the plateau it sits upon averages 15000 ft or so above sea level.

anyway, here is an idea of how big australia would look on the surface of mars.

here is how big europe would look on the surface of the moon.

i like to see the scale also of the pockmarks on the surfaces of planets that most people would not even consider.

here is a shot of the area of mars (to show overall scale) that i superimposed a picture of the new york region onto for the purpose. the area expanded is shown as a yellow rectangle.

and here is what new york area would look like within that small region above. it is translucent to show the crater sizes (insignificantly small compared to the large ones on mars) under the overlay.

WELL DONE!!

would you be willing to do more, please :?:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2015, 12:16 am

at the dawn of sound motion pictures, it was determined that 24 frames per second [upgrade from the previous 16 frame per second system] was the minimum film speed that could accommodate an intelligible sound-on-film sound track. it was also easier to edit than 16, each second with 24 frames per second could be divided frame-wise in an intuitive way, such as 1/2 second = 12 frames, 1/4 second = 6 frames, 1/8 second = 3 frames, etc. there is no technical reason that digital projection systems [the present state of the art] need to remain at the relatively coarse 24 frame per second rate, and in fact, directors peter Jackson and james Cameron have determined to shoot @ 48 frames per second for all their future movie projects. 48 frames per second greatly reduces motion judder and image stability/clarity of filmed motion scenes.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2015, 12:41 am

slave wrote:
b9 wrote:
..............etc

WELL DONE!!

well what would you like to see?

here are some of the tallest buildings side by side.

here is the burj dubai next to the sears tower.

i can do almost any building next to any other building for comparison. i have made many pictures of familiar sydney
buildings beside the world famous tallest buildings to guage what the tallest buildings would like like in scale the sydney skyline i have personally seen 1000's of times.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2015, 3:54 pm

b9 wrote:
slave wrote:
b9 wrote:
..............etc

WELL DONE!!

well what would you like to see?

here are some of the tallest buildings side by side.

here is the burj dubai next to the sears tower.

i can do almost any building next to any other building for comparison. i have made many pictures of familiar sydney
buildings beside the world famous tallest buildings to guage what the tallest buildings would like like in scale the sydney skyline i have personally seen 1000's of times.

Any chance for comparisons between the size of Africa vs Canada and Africa vs Asian continent and Russia vs. Canada and Vancouver Island vs UK

Thanks!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2015, 5:11 pm

a Frenchman in 1869, by the name of Édouard-Léon Scott de Martinville, with his invention he called the Phonautograph, was the first person on earth to record sound, predating Edison's wax cylinder phonograph by 8 years.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2015, 7:07 pm

slave wrote:
b9 wrote:
i am always interested in the scale of things, but rarely do i ever see information that conveys scale very well.
for example, i always wondered how big mt everest really looked in scale to a familiar frame of reference. then i realized that all photos of mt everest taken from the foot of it are actually showing a 10,000 -12,000 ft mountain due to the fact that the plateau it sits upon averages 15000 ft or so above sea level.

anyway, here is an idea of how big australia would look on the surface of mars.

here is how big europe would look on the surface of the moon.

i like to see the scale also of the pockmarks on the surfaces of planets that most people would not even consider.

here is a shot of the area of mars (to show overall scale) that i superimposed a picture of the new york region onto for the purpose. the area expanded is shown as a yellow rectangle.

and here is what new york area would look like within that small region above. it is translucent to show the crater sizes (insignificantly small compared to the large ones on mars) under the overlay.

WELL DONE!!

Didnt realize that you programmed it yourself.

My request: put the USA on to the Moon if you please! :D

The Moon is about 2000 miles wide. The USA is about 3000 miles long, and a 1000 miles wide. Not sure how the US would look wrapped around the Moon's surface though.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 4:28 am

slave wrote:
Any chance for comparisons between the size of Africa vs Canada and Africa vs Asian continent and Russia vs. Canada and Vancouver Island vs UK
Thanks!

naturalplastic wrote:
Didnt realize that you programmed it yourself.

My request: put the USA on to the Moon if you please! :D

The Moon is about 2000 miles wide. The USA is about 3000 miles long, and a 1000 miles wide. Not sure how the US would look wrapped around the Moon's surface though.

here is a video of progressive transparencies because static images can be harder to see.

if anyone remembers the Jupiter 2 from lost in space and wonders how big it is with reference to familiar objects, here it is next to a 737

here is the millenium falcon from star wars next to the jupiter 2 and a 767 jet.

here is how big the enterprise starship is in a general earthbound environment.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 10:13 am

That is so awesome :D