Ads on physical media (Blu-Rays, DVDs, etc.)

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

mharrington85
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Sep 2023, 9:43 pm

I hear you will need to sit through ads on a streaming service if you pay a low-price tier. But doesn't a Blu-Ray or DVD have ads, too?

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2023, 3:46 pm

DVD's don't have ads in my experience. And I have a lot of them (originals even, not copies).

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2023, 3:57 pm

mharrington85 wrote:
I hear you will need to sit through ads on a streaming service if you pay a low-price tier. But doesn't a Blu-Ray or DVD have ads, too?

No. The only ads might have been print ads that came with the packaging trying to sell another DVD or something Maybe. But there are no commercials on DVD's/blu-rays etc.

Also, nearly completely moot as almost no one will ever know or see again.. very few people have optical drives of any kind anymore unless they've been sitting there a long time. Computers don't come with them, people don't buy dvds or blu-rays anymore - can't remember the last time I saw any for sale except for along with a bunch of other useless junk at street markets.

People can just click a remote, or use a voice command via the remote's microphone, and watch almost anything anytime 24/7 streamed from wherever so there's no need for libraries of physical discs and their cases nor the devices to play them on. Pretty much gone the way of the dodo along with vhs tapes these days.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2023, 4:32 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
mharrington85 wrote:

No. The only ads might have been print ads that came with the packaging trying to sell another DVD or something Maybe. But there are no commercials on DVD's/blu-rays etc.

Also, nearly completely moot as almost no one will ever know or see again.. very few people have optical drives of any kind anymore unless they've been sitting there a long time. Computers don't come with them, people don't buy dvds or blu-rays anymore - can't remember the last time I saw any for sale except for along with a bunch of other useless junk at street markets.

People can just click a remote, or use a voice command via the remote's microphone, and watch almost anything anytime 24/7 streamed from wherever so there's no need for libraries of physical discs and their cases nor the devices to play them on. Pretty much gone the way of the dodo along with vhs tapes these days.

I don't agree with that necessarily. Sure, buying DVD's new is a thing of the past for the most part, apart from in bargain buckets, but the second hand DVD market is strong.

There are a lot of things that come & go on streaming services that people want to keep a hold of.

That is the case in the UK at least. I cannot speak for Canada.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2023, 5:58 pm

I can't speak for the whole country, but it seems from my observations that physical movie media is only really possessed and valued by people living below the poverty line who May have access to a TV and dvd player so will collect and watch dvds.

Other than that, the only time I've heard people asking for them are for donations to a hospital so seniors on their death beds have some entertainment as they can rent a tv and player but not discs.

There is definitely not a strong secondary market for any physical movies here. Even at flea markets and street markets they might sell for a couple dollars each kind of thing - if anyone buys them at all. Collections have mostly long since been given away or disposed of.

My sister and brother in law have a lot of them, but they are a rarity. They were once very common in living rooms, but not anymore. I live on the West Coast and the country is more than 5,000 kms wide. There may be a different market for dvds elsewhere in Canada but pretty well no one wants them here.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2023, 6:11 pm

I thought the following article was a good article to explain the reasons why I personally think that DVD's still have a place for people who watch movies or television shows.

The points in the article in brief:

"1. Streaming's limited selection (you can buy anything on DVD pretty much, including the latest television shows which still release on DVD, whilst streaming has a finite amount of shows).

2. Superior audiovisual quality and experience of DVD's (not necessarily resolution but the video & audio data is uncompressed, resulting in less quality loss)

3. Special features and bonus content

4. Complete control over your collection (streaming options often disappear overnight, I'm looking at you, Pulp Fiction, on UK Netflix).

5. 5. Consistent availability, regardless of internet connectivity"

https://www.zdnet.com/article/5-reasons-why-dvds-still-have-their-place-especially-for-serious-movie-buffs/

They are definitely a lot less popular than they once were. I do acknowledge that much.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2023, 7:02 pm

I'm a little confused by people saying DVDs don't have ads because I used to watch DVDs as a kid on holiday and they absolutely had trailers for other films. The vast majority you could skip. However, there was the odd film trailer you had to watch and if you tried to skip it then it would say 'this button is temporarily disabled' or something along those lines. Maybe to stop people from spamming the button, I don't know.

... Is it different elsewhere? Do DVDs no longer have film trailers before the film menu loads? I haven't used a DVD in years.

Almost 25. Near the spectrum but not on it.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2023, 7:55 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
I'm a little confused by people saying DVDs don't have ads because I used to watch DVDs as a kid on holiday and they absolutely had trailers for other films. The vast majority you could skip. However, there was the odd film trailer you had to watch and if you tried to skip it then it would say 'this button is temporarily disabled' or something along those lines. Maybe to stop people from spamming the button, I don't know.

... Is it different elsewhere? Do DVDs no longer have film trailers before the film menu loads? I haven't used a DVD in years.

I have dozens of DVD's and none of them have trailers in them. :D

The typical DVD in my experience goes form having the lion roaring (maybe an advert for paramount), straight to the DVD menu, with sometimes a short playback of a DVD's contents in an abbreviated 'snapshot' form.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2023, 8:04 pm

I still prefer purchasing movies and other video on disk.

The streaming services are "channels", not "libraries". The available selection is not under my control. And something that was available might not still be available.

I'm not doing this due to cost. If that was the issue our disk library would not be so large.

And, yes, many (not all) movie disks include trailers for other movies. Sometimes the trailer even works and we decide to buy a copy.

mharrington85
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Sep 2023, 11:07 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
mharrington85 wrote:

Then what do you call all of these things that play before the 2000 "Alice In Wonderland" DVD? This is just a random example, mind you:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2023, 1:22 pm

mharrington85 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
mharrington85 wrote:

Then what do you call all of these things that play before the 2000 "Alice In Wonderland" DVD? This is just a random example, mind you:

Hmm. I guess they used video sell videos.

I think I've played maybe one video disk in the last decade or so. I still have a bunch of dvds, but no optical drive player of any kind anymore. Forgot they put video ads to sell more dvds - but what I was sure of was that they don't put commercials for products like you'd see on tv to sell cars or laundry soap or whatever.

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

01 Oct 2023, 1:46 pm

God, unfortunately. I borrowed the Yona of the Dawn Blu-rays from the library; nice sets that MSRP $65 a set, $130 for the whole series, and yet they have this screeching, unskippable ad for the streaming service you could also watch the show on.

Some of them aren't half-bad. This is nostalgic:

Moreso then ads, these two logos just about scared the piss out of me when I fell asleep on my remote:

Last edited by Nekomonster on 01 Oct 2023, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mharrington85
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Oct 2023, 1:48 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

I think I've played maybe one video disk in the last decade or so. I still have a bunch of dvds, but no optical drive player of any kind anymore. Forgot they put video ads to sell more dvds - but what I was sure of was that they don't put commercials for products like you'd see on tv to sell cars or laundry soap or whatever.

The point is, you don't go directly to the movie. Nor can you skip those ads, at least not without having to fast-forward them. You can't use the "chapter skip" option or the menu option, which are both disabled.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2023, 1:56 pm

mharrington85 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

The point is, you don't go directly to the movie. Nor can you skip those ads, at least not without having to fast-forward them. You can't use the "chapter skip" option or the menu option, which are both disabled.

Ok.

So what? :?

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2023, 7:09 pm

I used to watch the DVD for Miss Congeniality a lot. The disk was so scratched. Anyway, I remember the trailer for Legally Blonde was unskipable. Both good films imo albeit dated.

Almost 25. Near the spectrum but not on it.

mharrington85
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Oct 2023, 12:38 am

goldfish21 wrote:
mharrington85 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Ok.

So what? :?

You could not just see the movie, you had to sit through other things first. It's pretty much the same thing with ads interrupting your movie on streaming.