Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2023, 2:36 pm

Someone once confessed that they didnt know what "drawing and quartering" was (the punishment meted out by kings of old). "Do they draw your picture and throw quarters at you?"

I had to explain the gruesome truth to them.

Had to explain that "if the king had a special dislike for you he would invite the city to gather in the square to watch as...they tied one horseman to each of your limbs. And then each of the horsemen would giddyup in a different direction.

And then I added that "the horseman with the biggest piece of you...would have his wish come true" :lol: .

Then I admitted that I had made up that last part. But the person still didnt like my gallows humor.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2023, 2:40 pm

Who wastes time with a Christmas cracker when they can go spray their AR-15 until the cows come home?

Update: The cows were struck by stray rounds and will not being coming home due to a mild case of being dead.

Comet Zed
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2023, 4:33 pm

Crackers are a thing in Australia and New Zealand. Bad jokes, toys, hats and all.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2023, 5:27 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
In our house we pull crackers just before we eat Christmas lunch and you have to keep your paper hat on the entire meal.

It's the law.

Same!

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2023, 5:27 pm

KitLily wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without Christmas crackers.

Exactly. Seeing who can pull hardest on the cracker, laughing at very silly jokes, wearing silly hats and playing the silly games you get in a cracker.

It just adds to the merriment!

Absolutely!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2023, 10:45 pm

I love Christmas crackers. They're fun.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2023, 11:06 pm

Somebody gave us a couple last year. We didn't know they were supposed to crack or pop or that you are supposed to pull on them. We just opened them and there was something very bad inside, like a very small unimpressive toy (I don't remember what). We didn't know there was also a joke or anything else and that part was probably left inside and we unknowingly threw it out. We were very perplexed as to what it all was. As far as we knew it was just a small bad toy in a fancy sort of tube-shaped container. I'm still not clear on it.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2023, 12:01 am

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2023, 10:07 am

bee33 wrote:
Somebody gave us a couple last year. We didn't know they were supposed to crack or pop or that you are supposed to pull on them. We just opened them and there was something very bad inside, like a very small unimpressive toy (I don't remember what). We didn't know there was also a joke or anything else and that part was probably left inside and we unknowingly threw it out. We were very perplexed as to what it all was. As far as we knew it was just a small bad toy in a fancy sort of tube-shaped container. I'm still not clear on it.

That is so cute. I wish I'd been there, I could have shown you! And American friend told me that a British friend showed him what to do with crackers a few years ago.

Like this is such a cute video, when they get it all wrong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOMgrkiFgK8

I genuinely thought Americans were being sarcastic and pretending they didn't know what to do with crackers!

This is what you do, but usually everyone is laughing, shouting and a bit tipsy. And arguing over who won the cracker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM_v8j9x4u8

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2023, 10:11 am

Comet Zed wrote:
Crackers are a thing in Australia and New Zealand. Bad jokes, toys, hats and all.

Oh thank goodness! I thought it was just a British thing that no one else knew about!

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2023, 3:18 am

We have crackers in Canada, too. My mom has bought them for us to open at Christmas dinner, but the prizes inside are pure junk. And the more expensive crackers aren't any better.

Personally, I'd rather have a Kinder Surprise egg or something like that. :)

ocean
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2023, 5:24 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Then I admitted that I had made up that last part.

haha :P

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2023, 4:46 pm

'News Story' discusses 'Christmas Crackers' and the day after Christmas, 'Boxing Day.'

Note from 'News Story': The British favor 'Happy Christmas' over 'Merry Christmas.'
Personally, I've always preferred the 'Happy Holidays' greeting.

News Story: 'Nine British Christmas Traditions That Probably Confuse Americans'
https://www.insider.com/uk-christmas-tr ... an-2018-12

* American Artist 'Norman Rockwell' did a painting in 1919 featuring a 'Christmas Cracker'
https://www.wikiart.org/en/norman-rockw ... avour-1919

* On 'Boxing Day' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_Day

jamie0.0
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Dec 2023, 9:20 pm

i usually put very little grip on the christmas cracker so my opponent can win

i play this with small children and my mother who has arthritis, to me seeing the smile on their face is more valuable than winning

except my older brother, i dont hold back around him :twisted:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2023, 12:07 am

I hate when the puller thing is stuck to the paper.