Page 95 of 103 [ 1647 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 103  Next

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 12:46 pm

Alcohol is an anxiolytic to be fair, so that isn't bad advice.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 12:49 pm

We call it social lubricant

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 12:49 pm

babybird wrote:
We call it social lubricant

That works, too. :lol:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 12:50 pm

Jamesy wrote:
During the stage of my life when.i was not drinking at all my dad said to me “Just have a few beers and your anxiety will go away.

Ok.

That's because a bit of alcohol tends to give everyone "liquid courage," to ask for a phone number or a date or make a public speech etc if they're a bit anxious.

But alcohol is not a cure for anxiety. You can't drink a few beers and rid yourself of anxiety forever for good.

Also, binge drinking may temporarily relieve anxiety while you're drunk.. but then amplifies it once you're sober because you've murdered your healthy gut bacteria with alcohol, so anxiety may be higher and social functioning lower after binge drinking - even amongst NT's. (Proven via medical studies.)

There are other healthier ways to deal with anxiety. Healthy diet/natural supplements, exercise, meditation, medication etc. It's silly to rely on binge drinking alcohol to control anxiety. All that's going to do is make you an alcoholic, which comes with its own set of problems and health issues.

Last edited by goldfish21 on 02 Apr 2024, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 12:52 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
During the stage of my life when.i was not drinking at all my dad said to me “Just have a few beers and your anxiety will go away.

Ok.

That's because a bit of alcohol tends to give everyone "liquid courage," to ask for a phone number or a date or make a public speech etc if they're a bit anxious.

But alcohol is not a cure for anxiety. You can't drink a few beers and rid yourself of anxiety forever for good.

Also, binge drinking may temporarily relieve anxiety while you're drunk.. but then amplifies it once you're sober because you've murdered your healthy gut bacteria with alcohol, so anxiety may be higher and social functioning lower after binge drinking - even amongst NT's. (Proven via medical studies.)

There are other healthier ways yo deal with anxiety. Healthy diet/natural supplements, exercise, meditation, medication etc. It's silly to rely on binge drinking alcohol to control anxiety. All that's going to do is make you an alcoholic, which comes with its own set of problems and healthy issues.

I appreciated this post. It contains some good advice.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 12:57 pm

My local pub closes at 1 in the morning Saturday night. Might try and go out at 10 from now on as opposed to 3 or 4 in afternoon and staying from that early till 1 in the morning :roll:

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 1:26 pm

Jamesy wrote:
My local pub closes at 1 in the morning Saturday night. Might try and go out at 10 from now on as opposed to 3 or 4 in afternoon and staying from that early till 1 in the morning :roll:

01:00 in the morning is quite late for a pub to close in the UK.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 1:45 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

01:00 in the morning is quite late for a pub to close in the UK.

Yeah I know tell me about it. :?

It’s a weatherspoons pub I go to by myself the way

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 2:26 pm

9-10 HOURS in a pub is a very long time. Usually people are more like maybe 2-3 hours. Some regulars might come for dinner then stay late, but they wouldn’t be there from 3/4 until 1. Maybe 6 or 7pm until 12 or 1, but mostly those people had no lives, no family around etc. Just their other alcoholic drinking buddies to kill time with.

12 or 1 is pretty standard closing time for a pub here. Usually they’re only allowed to be open X number of hours and there’s a maximum closing time and since Most bars make their money late night they all stay open as late as legally allowed and work out their opening time backwards from there.

Night clubs stay open until 1 or 2 in the suburbs (and there are fewer and fewer clubs now; they’re almost all gone) and 3am downtown Vancouver. Then there are after hours placed that don’t serve alcohol that stay open until ~9am or something like that.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 2:45 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
I think Jamesy meant "help" not "hemp".

:lol:

Freudian slip?

Maybe he is wrestling with both...alcohol, AND the smoking of "hemp". Lol!

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 3:34 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
9-10 HOURS in a pub is a very long time. Usually people are more like maybe 2-3 hours. Some regulars might come for dinner then stay late, but they wouldn’t be there from 3/4 until 1. Maybe 6 or 7pm until 12 or 1, but mostly those people had no lives, no family around etc. Just their other alcoholic drinking buddies to kill time with.

12 or 1 is pretty standard closing time for a pub here. Usually they’re only allowed to be open X number of hours and there’s a maximum closing time and since Most bars make their money late night they all stay open as late as legally allowed and work out their opening time backwards from there.

Night clubs stay open until 1 or 2 in the suburbs (and there are fewer and fewer clubs now; they’re almost all gone) and 3am downtown Vancouver. Then there are after hours placed that don’t serve alcohol that stay open until ~9am or something like that.

There is one nightclub in my town that closes at 3:30

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 3:38 pm

I can't think of a single night club in my suburb city anymore - they've all closed down. In part because of liquor laws changing w/ super strict drinking driving laws and Everyone here drives because everything is so spread out. And I think in part because the region just decided to have all the night clubs in a few areas of Vancouver so all the related problems are contained there.. pros and cons. If people like night clubs it's a bit of a b***h because they're 50km away and rides/public transit/taxis/ubers/designated drivers etc is always a bit of an ordeal. Doesn't affect my life any, but it's a b***h for some people.. especially if the clubs are open until 3 and the last train is at 1 or whatever. :roll: Then a one way ride home is like $100.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 4:12 pm

Night clubs are also becoming less popular in the UK, despite reasonable public transport links being viable for going 'out into town'.

There was an article a while back on it saying that night clubs are less popular with Gen-Z in particular who prefer staying indoors versus going out on the town or cannot afford to go out and spend money in clubs.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 4:19 pm

This older guy once said to me “Do you go out to the pub on the weekends because you are lonely?”

Problem with me is ‘fear of missing out’ which is why I am to afraid to give weekends a miss

Last edited by Jamesy on 02 Apr 2024, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 4:26 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Night clubs are also becoming less popular in the UK, despite reasonable public transport links being viable for going 'out into town'.

There was an article a while back on it saying that night clubs are less popular with Gen-Z in particular who prefer staying indoors versus going out on the town or cannot afford to go out and spend money in clubs.

Yep. VR generation + the next poverty generation thanks to e v e r y t h i n g costing more by a long shot and incomes remaining flat = can't afford to go party like previous generations.

Also, people are, in general, not drinking as much just like current generations don't smoke cigarettes as much.

Annnnd I'd WAY rather go to a party than a nightclub.. sometimes held in nightclub spaces, but usually small warehouses etc or places that are set up just to host parties/EDM/rave type events. If I'm gonna go out and cook a few brain cells and have a f****n' time then it's gonna be special & memorable, not a regular night out at some cookie cutter nightclub with cookie cutter people etc. I'd way rather party with the freaks in wicked costumes and makeup, doing all the best drugs and listening to siiiiiiick DJ's for a similar $ amount as some run of the mill night out.

Night clubs serve their purpose for people that are into them, though.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2024, 4:27 pm

Goldfish do you think I am a bit irrational being afraid to stay in some weekends because i don’t want to miss out?