How can people enjoy angering others?

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 1:26 am

I see it happen here on WP, from time to time. It could be anybody. I ignore it the best I can, and go along my merry way.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 3:04 am

Diamond_Jackson wrote:
Oh, I LOVE angering others on the Internet! It gives me a thrill that I just cannot experience in real life. It makes me ROFL when I cause someone to throw curses at me or argue with me because of what I say to them! I also like to be a total a-hole on Xbox Live by playing cheaply in games and yelling taunts at others, like in Forza 3, I like to crash other people off of the road just to see them angry! Hahaha!

Show me the wrath! Bwahahahaha! :twisted:

Going on Yahoo Answers to troll is a good way to deal with the anger you have inside you and let it all out. Plus it's fun to see what reactions I get. But I haven't done any trolling since January.

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 3:24 am

I'm going to try to answer this question seriously.

It's pretty easy to see why it can be fun to make someone angry if the person you are trying to make angry is an ex who dumped you in a cruel fashion or someone who has wronged you in the past.

Over the internet it is a little bit harder to fathom. I have a fairly misanthropic worldview yet I still don't get what is pleasurable about angering someone over the internet. One guess is that it is an easy way to get attention. Another guess is that they have preconceptions formed about someone posting online and with the protection of anonymity find the person annoying so they attack without fear. Sometimes it can be fun to shock people in real life for the look on their face, although this is not the same as angering someone.

Using the principle of Occam's razor the answer would simply be that many people are just dickwad as*holes.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 5:13 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Why can't people just hug each other, instead?

:idea: what a concept- warm fuzzies instead of cold pricklies! enough people have to want it, though- you and me and that man behind the tree don't make a quorum for proposing to the masses a sea-change of this order. unfortunately. but one can dream. just think of how nice things would be if people loved one another just as they loved themselves. just think of how good it would be if all the unloved were loved and they knew it and were glad of it. it would be heavenly.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 6:49 am

auntblabby wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
Why can't people just hug each other, instead?

:idea: what a concept- warm fuzzies instead of cold pricklies! enough people have to want it, though- you and me and that man behind the tree don't make a quorum for proposing to the masses a sea-change of this order. unfortunately. but one can dream. just think of how nice things would be if people loved one another just as they loved themselves. just think of how good it would be if all the unloved were loved and they knew it and were glad of it. it would be heavenly.

That's a very nice thought to have. I doubt that it will ever happen, though. I can always dream.

111chuckybabu
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Mar 2010, 7:52 am

Diamond_Jackson wrote:
Oh, I LOVE angering others on the Internet! It gives me a thrill that I just cannot experience in real life. It makes me ROFL when I cause someone to throw curses at me or argue with me because of what I say to them! I also like to be a total a-hole on Xbox Live by playing cheaply in games and yelling taunts at others, like in Forza 3, I like to crash other people off of the road just to see them angry! Hahaha!

Show me the wrath! Bwahahahaha! :twisted:

Okay, but do you know why you do it?

Postures
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 7:46 am

If people are c***s to me, then I'm a c**t back.

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 8:40 am

I can flame like anything...but I don't. I have had some heated arguments in the past, but they never went as far as nasty, uncalled-for personal attacks. IMO, I have only flamed someone once. He had made a disgusting xenophobic and heavily racist post. I was horrified by it, and let loose on him because I wanted him to feel bad about what he said.

I have a hell of a temper; when he tried to start a flame war with me by posting a new thread that existed to flame me, it took a lot of resolve to ignore it. I didn't bother to reply. However, a number of people chose not to ignore it and defended me!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 2:29 am

Rose_in_Winter wrote:
...I let loose on him because I wanted him to feel bad about what he said.
I have a hell of a temper; when he tried to start a flame war with me by posting a new thread that existed to flame me, it took a lot of resolve to ignore it. I didn't bother to reply.

which is a worse fate for somebody who acts like a troll - to be flamed or ignored? rather than a hot [tempered] punishment, sometimes "revenge is a dish best served cold." or for another analogy, would you become angry at the neighbor's dogs for barking everytime you walked by, or would you say, "they're just stupid dogs who don't know any better"? so whenever somebody on these forums starts "barking" just "walk on by" with a smile, as they are the ones stuck behind the fence of their mental limitations, not you. just a thought.