Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2015, 1:14 am

fascinating. I wonder when the next domestic trouble will happen.

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 12:37 am

There is a rhetorical question I have been asking myself the last few days. Would those now stating 'Je suis Charlie' have responded in the same way, if it where for example Brigitte Bardot and close friends of her who had been gunned down.

Jules_Bonnot_1912
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jan 2015, 5:08 am

Sigbold wrote:
There is a rhetorical question I have been asking myself the last few days. Would those now stating 'Je suis Charlie' have responded in the same way, if it where for example Brigitte Bardot and close friends of her who had been gunned down.

It could be ... but I find it just as assinine as calling myself Charlie. I do understand what they mean by it, but I find it ridiculous to identify myself that way.

It's a bit like that stupid protest in the 90's "Ik ben woedend" (I am furious), against the attacks on Turks in Germany. Of course it was wrong what happened, but why should the Dutch rally against the German government when we had the same crap going on in Holland as well?

What I actually want to know: what does it mean to people when they say 'je suis Charlie'? Is it just a way to express their sympathy and mourn the dead? Or do they support what Charlie Hebdo stood for (satire/Freedom of speech)? Or maybe something else?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 5:13 am

Jules_Bonnot_1912 wrote:
What I actually want to know: what does it mean to people when they say 'je suis Charlie'? Is it just a way to express their sympathy and mourn the dead? Or do they support what Charlie Hebdo stood for (satire/Freedom of speech)? Or maybe something else?

I thought it was a modern version of "I am Spartacus!"

alisoncc
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jan 2015, 6:31 am

Jules_Bonnot_1912 wrote:
What I actually want to know: what does it mean to people when they say 'je suis Charlie'?

I would suggest that they are seeking to align themselves with those who were killed in the Charlie Hebdo massacre. In effect saying to the Islamic terrorists "you will have to kill us all to silence our rights to freedom of speech and expression". A sentiment I wholeheartedly agree with. Je suis Charlie.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 7:37 am

Jules_Bonnot_1912 wrote:

That is the reason for my question. If it was not the employees and leaders of some (far)left-wing publication who had been targeted by this attack, the response would most likely been have different. There might have been some condemnation of the attacks, but (to keep to my example) no wide spread declarations of 'Je suis Bardot' in a support of her freedom of speech.

YourMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 7:57 am

I came to know about the massacre when I was on holiday and when I gathered more info on the events the remorselessness and deep, fundamental lack of basic respect for human life struck me. I'm not really the type of person to call myself Charlie however, that's just not how it works for me. All in all a sad display of humanity's darkest sides followed by a massive load of hypocrisy, twisted priorities and crocodile tears.

(not a native speaker)