Page 7 of 104 [ 1649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 104  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2023, 4:19 pm

Gonna quickly get ready & rip up to Squampton (Squamish) to go on a shopping spree for some kiteboarding gear.. will probably go to the brew pub for a beer for dinner. 8)

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2023, 4:32 pm

^ Some interesting cultural differences here. As a UK citizen, I'm not familiar with the idea of a 'government store' (presumably as an outlet for selling alcoholic drinks?) or a 'brew pub'.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2023, 4:50 pm

DeepHour wrote:
^ Some interesting cultural differences here. As a UK citizen, I'm not familiar with the idea of a 'government store' (presumably as an outlet for selling alcoholic drinks?) or a 'brew pub'.

Every Province & Territory in Canada has it's own Liquor Control Board. In BC, we have BC Liquor Stores which are the government owned & operated stores that have been around for decades At Least - not sure how long. We used to have private "Cold Beer & Wine," stores that could sell those things and stay open until 11pm etc etc usually the licences are held by pub owners. A couple decades ago they opened things up to private liquor stores, so now private stores can sell all spirits as well and they often have better selections of craft beer/wine/spirits from smaller brewers/wineries/distilleries that come through distributors that specialize in low volume specialty stuff from producers that can't possibly pump out the volume required to supply all 100 something BC Liquor Stores. So everything mainstream is available from gov't stores, but particular specialty imports can only be found at select random private stores.. yet 100% of all alcohol sold in BC whether store or pub etc passes through the government's hands as they are the sole supplier by law.. even though the logistics operations that move, store, and transport it are private businesses - I guess just contracted by the gov't or they just tally every ounce and submit taxes or whatever I dunno. The largest facility I'm aware of is called Container World and with their expansion is somewhere around 1 Million square feet of alcohol distribution. Provincial liquor boards are also responsible for legal cannabis distribution - but it's not sold at liquor stores.

Not sure if other provinces have government operated stores or all private and the gov't just supplies them ?? No idea. But taxes are different province by province and even legal drinking age. Alcohol is way cheaper in Alberta and people are allowed to buy vodka at Costco!! ! Way more expensive in BC and it's only in the last few years some supermarkets can sell local BC wines and ciders but nothing else. It's all overly complicated for no particularly good reason besides generating revenue for the government.

Brew pubs are exactly as they sound like.. pubs that brew their own beer. Some have larger breweries than major popular European breweries! Mainstream beer brands are brewed in GIANT warehouses. Brew pubs also often can/bottle their beer and sell it on site to go, or distribute to liquor stores as well.

Here's the one I'll go to for dinner after my shopping spree:

https://www.howesound.com/

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2023, 10:02 am

Just lining my stomach for tonight.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2023, 2:16 pm

Planned to have a day off it but events caught up with me and I ended up having 4 large cans of Guinness from the local shop.

Geting 72 cans of Magners delivered just now from Asda.

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2023, 2:44 pm

I'm drinking a bottle of Adnam's Broadside (6.3%) right now. Got it from ASDA this afternoon, in a 4 for 3 deal. I've gained the impression lately that ASDA are making a bit more effort with their selection of beers, have noticed quite a few new offerings.

Can't say the same for Aldi unfortunately, their range is as restricted and uninspiring as ever in my view.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2023, 5:02 pm

Rossall wrote:
Planned to have a day off it but events caught up with me and I ended up having 4 large cans of Guinness from the local shop.

Geting 72 cans of Magners delivered just now from Asda.

f*****g hell Rossall you know how to throw a party.

I'm actually quite drunk right now.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2023, 8:05 pm

We also have an Aldi. The selection is dismal.I just got back from shopping at MalWart and got a case of White Claw hard seltzer.5% assorted flavors.Will be good iced in this heat.
The old biddie at register carded me.I thought maybe she needed to scan my DL to ring it up but no, she stares at the card and me like I was up to no good.
It was 101 and when I got outside the truck was having a flat.Thank goodness for fix a flat.Then I went to the dispensary and bought six different kinds of weed.
Made it home and now that it is 85 and cooler I’m going to sit on the porch and get lit.
Party on!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2023, 8:06 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Then I went to the dispensary and bought six different kinds of weed.
Made it home and now that it is 85 and cooler I’m going to sit on the porch and get lit.
Party on!

:heart:

Happy long weekend!

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2023, 9:01 pm

Had a Molson Canadian at my aunt’s this afternoon. Thinking about gearing up and riding my motorcycle to the beach to have some craft beer or another on the sand before sunset. I bought 3 tall cans for $19 - all singles like 5-6.xx per can just to try some different flavours. One is pineapple coconut, another is watermelon, and the 3rd is a dry hopped cider.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2023, 9:11 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Then I went to the dispensary and bought six different kinds of weed.
Party on!

:heart:

Thank you!
Happy long weekend!

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2023, 3:39 am

Hope you had a lovely evening Misslizard. Wish I could have been there with you.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2023, 7:11 am

/\That would have been fun!It was a great night, owls hooting and so many fireflies!!Its been dry ,so no mosquitoes or gnats, a perfect night to chill.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2023, 11:26 am

babybird wrote:
f*****g hell Rossall you know how to throw a party.

I'm actually quite drunk right now.

LOL 72 cans @ £40 should keep me going a few weeks and nice 'n' cheap from Asda. :P

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

Last edited by Rossall on 01 Jul 2023, 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2023, 11:28 am

Yeah don't go drinking it all in one go

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2023, 1:05 pm

Misslizard wrote:
/\That would have been fun!It was a great night, owls hooting and so many fireflies!!Its been dry ,so no mosquitoes or gnats, a perfect night to chill.

I can't recall ever being anywhere and seeing fireflies in my entire life. We don't have them here - so have only seen photos, the odd movie scene, or cartoon depictions.

From what some East infections have said, they're a thing out in Onterrible.

Only drank black coffee so far today. It's "Canada Day," (aka no pride in genocide day) here so the beach is going to be Busy. I might get a couple little things done and off my do-do list and then take 2-3 brews to the beach on my bike and spend the rest of the day there. Maybe take a few little fireworks that have been hanging around in my car for a couple years lol. Def not getting drunk though - gotta ride home And be hyper aware of any drunks on the road after they do their stupid drinking and driving thing.