Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

matsuiny2004
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 3:54 am

Where do introverts belong in neurodiversity?

I am not sure where to put this, feel free to move if needed

surveys are scientific, they have numbers in them- me (satire)

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 4:11 am

Neurotypical people can also be introverts. I think the reason why such a high percentage of Aspies appear to be introverts is because social situations can be so stressful sometimes that even people "born to be extroverts" can become more withdrawn. I am naturally an extrovert, but this year has been so stressful for me (anxiety, meltdowns, etc., etc.) that I have not minded at all if no-one visits me for months -- which is VERY unusual for me.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 5:06 am

Introverted individuals are within the normal continuum. Those with an ASD are statistical outliers.

matsuiny2004
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 5:11 am

Danielismyname wrote:
Introverted individuals are within the normal continuum. Those with an ASD are statistical outliers.

I did not ask about normal I asked about neurodiversity.

surveys are scientific, they have numbers in them- me (satire)

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 6:03 am

You wrote: "I did not ask about normal I asked about neurodiversity."

I think you have based your question on an erroneous assumption, but we may also have understood you. "Normal" (as a synonym for "neurotypical") is after all part of neurodiversity -- or did you mean or understand something different?

I don't think there is any evidence to suggest that introverts in general have significant genetic differences from other people to the degree which, say, people with autism or cretinism differ from the general population in terms of their chromosomes.

Some introverts have an uncommon neurological state such as Asperger Syndrome; some do not. And in some cases, the neurological abnormalities also account for extreme introversion.

Perhaps you could rephrase your question so that we can understand it better, if the answers which we are suggesting seem to you to be inappropriate responses.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

02 Jul 2009, 9:24 pm

Alphabetania wrote:
I think the reason why such a high percentage of Aspies appear to be introverts is because social situations can be so stressful sometimes that even people "born to be extroverts" can become more withdrawn.

This is me. Before my first day at school I was a complete extrovert. I think that the social pressures got to me so much that I just spent most of my primary school years not talking to anyone because it was easier.
As far as where to introverts belong? Anywhere where they are comfortable. Find something that you like doing and do it.