Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

grinningcat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jul 2009, 9:05 pm

Somehow - and I don't know how this happened - but I am the go to girl when it comes to questions about the local bus schedule. Its surprising how many people don't know how to use a bus schedule. I know a few local routes because I am an occasional bus rider, but outside of that, I would have to consult the schedule too, I certainly haven't memorized the times etc. To me it isn't that hard to read, but other people look at it like they might look at a wall of hieroglyphs without benefit of the Rosetta stone. I do know one woman at work has an ulterior motive when she refers people to me, in that she thinks riding the bus is less important than having one's own car and she likes to make sure that I see the "class distinction", but others legitimately come to me for help. I give help where I can, but I think they are a little disappointed when I say "ask the bus driver, he probably will let you know your next move". :lol:

Anyone, not "outed", find this happening to them too? Probably yes, but I am interested all the same :D

willa
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2009, 9:14 pm

hehe, similar, a buncha people, my workers, all know I have the road map of pretty much all of the chicago area memorized and always ask me the quickest routes and for short cuts =P. And I find it odd cause it's so simple to me, it's all pretty much a grid, just a matter of knowing which roads are east/west of each other and which ones run north/south.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 9:10 am

Does anyone admire Sherlock Holmes?

"Come, Watson. If we catch the 2.15 from Waterloo we can change to the Southern line in Buckingham and be in Little Whatnot by 4.30"

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 9:16 am

I find I can sometimes figure out how to get somewhere intellectually, but I can't go there out of anxiety. And I'll feel disoriented in familiar places.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 6:35 pm

I remember an old Monty Python Mystery sketch involving catching the killer through train schedules...;)

Esoteric knowledge just piles up. I used to get the same thing at work...

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 11:37 pm

pakled wrote:
I remember an old Monty Python Mystery sketch involving catching the killer through train schedules...;)

Esoteric knowledge just piles up. I used to get the same thing at work...

I thought it was finding old Nazis through roadmaps ???