At what age are females not considered "girls"?

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 2:01 pm

At what age are females called by others "women?" Like in todays society even females in university and college are called "girls"?
Alright, I maybe wrong here but in my opinion, females are considered "women" once they start to move out from their parents house and live independently, just a random guess here. Like the transition from "boy" to "guy" is much earlier.

BruceCM
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 2:03 pm

There doesn't really seem to be such a cut off for girls. My mum, who's retired, meets the other 'girls' from her workplace! :)

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 2:05 pm

jc6chan wrote:
At what age are females called by others "women?" Like in todays society even females in university and college are called "girls"?
Alright, I maybe wrong here but in my opinion, females are considered "women" once they start to move out from their parents house and live independently, just a random guess here.

I think it's usually a personal preference thing. I usually refer to myself as a girl..

jc6chan wrote:
Like the transition from "boy" to "guy" is much earlier.

But "guy" is not the same as "man." The male form of "woman" is "man." (yea, um, I know that I just stated the obvious.. but my point was that "guy" isn't so much age-specific. A lot of times you say "guys and girls." so "guy" may be closer to "boy" than to "man")

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 2:10 pm

jc6chan wrote:
Like the transition from "boy" to "guy" is much earlier.

A lot of times you say "guys and girls." so "guy" may be closer to "boy" than to "man")[/quote]

But no one says "boy and girl" escpecially when two people are dating.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 2:10 pm

BruceCM wrote:
There doesn't really seem to be such a cut off for girls. My mum, who's retired, meets the other 'girls' from her workplace! :)

I think in that case it's usually more a term of endearment/familiarity?

BruceCM
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 2:13 pm

Maybe. It's certainly more flexible, at least! :lol:

starygrrl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 2:24 pm

This is very context sensative and can be very insulting to even college women. While it is okay to call a female partner a girlfriend, it is not cool to call somebody you work with girl...especially in a business environment.

It is best to use women or lady around high school age. This can get very tricky because knowing these contexts involves a certian degree of social intuition and knowledge that many people with ASD don't necessarily have. So its best to play it safe and avoid the term...except for girlfriend, like boyfriend, its not age sensative.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 2:32 pm

starygrrl wrote:
This is very context sensative and can be very insulting to even college women. While it is okay to call a female partner a girlfriend, it is not cool to call somebody you work with girl...especially in a business environment.

Ya, its always a mystery to me why business environments are different from "normal" environments, like people have to tuck in their pants. How rare to people tuck in their pants in a "normal" context lol!

Vyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 2:57 pm

This is why I got into the military habit of male and female. It's impossible to be wrong based on age. An infant female and a 99 y/o female are both still females.

Also, females I've noticed seem to say boys alot more often than men. For example, I've heard them often refer to boys night out, or the boys are partying. Same thing with girls night out and whatnot. Luckily I avoid the social context, but it can be confusing. Before I joined, I was corrected multiple times by women refering to themselves as girls (and they were in college) saying it made them feel old. I understand the wish by women to be young, because it is generally associated with beauty and sexuality, but seriously... it's also associated with the intelligence of a youngling as well, at least to me.

So I just use female, or the name. I have a habit of not using shortened names like Jen for Jennifer or Betsy for Elizabeth.

I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity flourish.

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 2:58 pm

I'd say it's more dependent on looks/maturity than on age.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 3:00 pm

At what age do some guys stop acting like girls is what I would like too know.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 3:01 pm

jc6chan wrote:
But no one says "boy and girl" escpecially when two people are dating.

Isn't that exactly what people are doing when they talk about "the old boy-meets-girl story"?

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 4:42 pm

Friskeygirl wrote:
At what age do some guys stop acting like girls is what I would like too know.

lol

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 4:46 pm

Vyn wrote:
Also, females I've noticed seem to say boys alot more often than men

No one says "men" but I haven't noticed any female refer to adolescent males as boys either.

Typical adolescent female conversation..."OMG there was this guy..."

"Cute guy..."

lol

spooky13
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Nov 2009, 7:02 pm

I'm not sure when, maybe it's during that mysterious time when we women stop getting called "miss" in public and start getting called "ma'am." 8O

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 7:24 pm

spooky13 wrote:
I'm not sure when, maybe it's during that mysterious time when we women stop getting called "miss" in public and start getting called "ma'am." 8O

You know I've had some women give me a dirty look and even some asking me how old I thought they were for calling them them ma'am. It was just the way I was brought up, hell I even call me little niece that but I guess it means old woman to most women.