Ever do a project that turns out badly?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 7:27 pm

One of my things that I really like to do is to knit. I have a little 8-year-old who is always cold, and likes to bundle himself up in soft sweaters. So I made him a special sweater in a traditional Guernsey fisherman style. I was very proud of my work, because it included things like re-inforced underarms and hem, so it would be real good quality. It's got his initial knitted into it, and some neat designs on it.

The whole time I was making it, I kept thinking it looked too small, but I convinced myself that A) it's meant to be close fitting, B) the nature of the pattern causes it to look narrow while you're working on it, and C) he's small for his age anyway.

Today, I finished it, and he tried it on. It's WAY too small. I mean to the point of being unacceptable.

I was planning on making it out of a pure wool yarn, because that helps you stay warm even if you get rained on, which happens in the winter here. But at the last minute decided on a wool/acrylic blend. If I had made it out of pure wool, then I'd be able to donate it to the charity called Afghans for Afghans, but they don't accept anything made of man-made fibers.

Rats, rats, rats!! :x

beejay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Nov 2009, 5:04 am

Does college count as a project? If so, then yes.

My fellow Americans. As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball; but tonight I say, we must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 6:24 am

Yes, sometimes. However I often get that little voice at the back of my mind warning me that things aren't going right and it pays to heed the warning before going too far down the road. I'd sooner abort a project part way through or adapt it if possible rather than complete it and it be useless. Saying that though I've sometimes ignored my intuition and lived to regret it.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 9:04 am

More than once.

ruveyn

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 9:33 am

Definitely. I've had to "scrap" dozens of projects.

david_42
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Nov 2009, 10:15 am

Many times, it's all part of the learning process. The first shirt I made ended up with the pockets at different heights. When I tried to remove one and adjust its position, I tore a hole in the shirt with the seam-ripper.

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 12:35 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0m4x0y3QNw[/youtube]
I actually made and tried cochicken. Don't do it.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 12:43 pm

I still find random limbs from the "Life-sized" Flakey doll I was supposed to make as a christmas present.

Pikachu
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 1:00 pm

none of my projects ever turn out badly, one of my last major projects was getting my CB radio working using a mobile antenna from a base station, all I did was use a glass-topped metal framed table, with the top lined with foil, a tin wrapped with foil, and 4 metal bars, the tin having a mobile antenna attached on a magnetic base, completely my own idea based on 2 different groundplane types, it worked rather well but the airwaves were dead-ish so not much activity, in the end the table was scrapped and all the foil and the tin binned, all that survives of that setup is the CB radio itself and the antenna, was fun while it lasted :)

Allegedly away with the fairies for 6-7 years

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 1:34 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
I still find random limbs from the "Life-sized" Flakey doll I was supposed to make as a christmas present.

:lol: Oh my god, Poopy! That just made my day! :lol: (I mean, not that your life-sized Flakey doll didn't turn out, because that must have been disappointing, but the idea is very funny and creative.)

I figured out that my yarn gauge was off. Which pisses me off, because I checked it many times, and still got it wrong. I swear, I do the same thing with recipes and everything else. If I have to measure 2.5 cups of flour, I lose count, so I measure again to make sure. And again. And again. And then the recipe still turns out weird. ! !! !!

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 2:47 pm

This lady insisted on teaching me to knit once, and it was a nightmare. I literally had nightmares where I was trying to knit and sew at the same time.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 5:08 pm

Yeah. But usually it's because of me being lazy. Sometimes I just rush through projects.

SpongeBobRocksMao!