Only thing about my parents that drives me nuts

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Maddino87
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Dec 2009, 1:33 am

I love my family (bless them). But there's only one thing I cannot stand about my parents; making my face red over old obsessions.
When I was 4-5 in the early 90's, I had an obsession over the Disney movie Beauty and the Beast. I would repeatedly watch the movie over and over again.
Years pass and obsessions change, but my parents to this day refuse to stop bothering me about how obsessed I was. Now don't get me wrong: I still think it's a great film, I just can't raise it up in the house anymore without a red face and giggling folks.
Am I overreacting about being embarrassed? I'm sure plenty face similar situations.

16 Dec 2009, 3:05 am

It must be annoying for you to having to keep hearing from your parents about how obsessed you were.
Any reason why you are embarrassed by it?

My mom doesn't tell me stories about myself very often to me. If she does, she is using anecdotes to get her point across or it depends on what topic we are on. I don't ask her about my past like if I ever did this or that.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2009, 6:17 am

My parents are pretty embarrassed about the obsessions that I've had over my lifetime, as well. My mum went over the obsessions that I've had, one day last summer. I told her that I was amazed that she didn't put me up for adoption.

The last time that she showed disaproval for my obsessions, was that hellish week that I've stayed at my parents trailer in the country. She told me that I wasn't going to become obsessed, anymore. She also saw me sitting on the couch with my laptop, with my Kinks T-shirt on, and she came up to me and said, "This is the worse I've ever seen you!" I've told her 5 hours later that no one was going to change who I am. A half an hour later, I mumbled that Mick Avory is my favourite Kink and that he's quite the little rebel. That eased things up for both of us. I wasn't so tense, anymore and my mum got off my case.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2009, 7:16 am

Maddino87 wrote:
... my parents to this day refuse to stop bothering me about how obsessed I was.

I would suspect they have yet to understand, and their desire to do so is what keeps that particular memory alive. Maybe you can find a way to help them develop a "memory of a memory" (some overall perspective) satisfactory to/for all of you.