the "thread" thread- who is thankful for clothing?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

the "thread" thread- who is thankful for clothing?
i'm thankful for the invention of clothing 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
animal skin garb or plastic sheeting is fine by me 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
i have never given this any thought 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 5

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 1:41 am

how many folk take time out of their day to be thankful for the unknown entity who originally invented [before anybody claimed the invention for themselves and made million$$$ off of it] clothing threads? [this also includes twine, reeds and burlap]
just think, without this seemingly simple thing we would likely be naked or at least uncomfortably garbed in sheets of bonded-together animal skins or plastic or rubber sheeting. just a jejune thought.

have a nice day :)

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 2:48 am

Depends on who I'm looking at :P

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 3:47 am

pat2rome wrote:

please elaborate.

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 5:23 am

auntblabby wrote:
pat2rome wrote:

please elaborate.

Just making a slightly inappropriate joke; I'd be much more thankful for clothing if it was Drew Carey wearing it than if it was someone like Emma Watson.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 7:27 am

pat2rome wrote:
I'd be much more thankful for clothing if it was Drew Carey wearing it than if it was someone like Emma Watson.

that reminds me of yet another boring story- when i was in the army decades ago, i was off-duty and walking out an' about in the summer sunshine with 2 other army colleagues. we were wearing early 80s summer men's fashion, namely trim shorts [not the baggy "board shorts" kind popular nowadays] and tank tops. we soon found ourselves walking behind some young ladies attired in a similarly revealing fashion, and their salient posterior features were jiggling, which caused one of the more exciteable and "manly" members of our trio to become visibly tumescent. must've been women's intuition, but one of the ladies turned around and started staring at this guy's ahem and said to him, "i heard that!" he turned red and stammered "i didn't say anything!", and at that moment i was thinking that he probably wished he was wearing his army poncho instead of the shorts. i had never seen a guy turn red before that.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 7:35 am

I am thankful for the vintage clothes that I can still find, browsing through my local thrift store. Without them, I'd look like everybody else, who I'm not like. The Kinks are my favourite group, along side The Beatles. Their clothes are more androgynous than the more masculine clothes, that The Beatles wore. Women's clothes are too prissy for me, nowadays. Let me dress like The Kinks in peace.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 12:25 pm

We think clothes are all great because our society dictates that they are necessary. If clothing had not been invented, we would think nothing of walking around naked at all.

So, in answer to the question, I would feel very weird talking around naked, but if clothing had never been invented, I'd be fine with it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 2:19 am

Asp-Z wrote:
We think clothes are all great because our society dictates that they are necessary. If clothing had not been invented, we would think nothing of walking around naked at all.
So, in answer to the question, I would feel very weird talking around naked, but if clothing had never been invented, I'd be fine with it.

maybe in monaco it would be comfortable being naked, but surely in london you'd need some protection from the elements, wouldn't you?

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 3:49 am

depends on the person and situation

for example because of obese people i am thankful for clothing

but in the case of my girlfriend i'm not so thankful for clothing.
But only if i were in a situation where it was just me & her.

On the other hand If other males were also present, i'd be very glad for the invention of clothing because i don't want a bunch of other guys staring at my naked girlfriend.

Family is another reason i'm grateful for clothing. If there were no such thing as clothing i wouldn't be able to visit my grandparents without wanting to gouge out my eyes, not to mention my parents or any other close relations.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 4:11 am

Seanmw wrote:
depends on the person and situation
If there were no such thing as clothing i wouldn't be able to visit my grandparents without wanting to gouge out my eyes, not to mention my parents or any other close relations.

i can't help believing that if your parents & grandparents heard this, they'd be :cry: :cry: