Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2010, 2:01 pm

I for one, the only bugs I can squish are female ticks. Though I know you have to squish them really good to kill them. I can't squish male ticks or any other bugs. Though I'm not terrified of taking the ticks off the dog(he's only had them twice), I hate it when I come across a male. I usually get a jar, fill it with alcohol, and then set fire on them. And that's saying something, seeing as I'm afraid of being burned. I made my brother set fire on them. He's afraid of the ticks, so I'm like, 'dumbo, I'll take them off the dog, and when I drown them, you get the matches and burn them,'. I can't flush them down the toilet. *shudders*

I can't squash flies, either. I'm actually afraid of fly swatters. *gags*

Fortunately, my cat likes bugs, and thanks to her, we have few bugs in the house.

Anyone else afraid of squishing bugs?

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2010, 2:16 pm

I wouldn't dare hurt a bug.

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2010, 3:42 pm

I'm not afraid of killing bugs but I don't do it*. I capture them and take them outside. I usually just leave spiders to their business and hope that they will kill some of the other bugs that might find their way into my house. And my cats eat some insects too. The only bug problem I have is with centipedes. They freak me out and they are so fast it's hard to catch them. I'm happy to just pretend that they don't exist. It works fine until one runs across my floor and sends me into a panic.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms2klX-puUU[/youtube]

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2010, 3:53 pm

I hate bugs but I cannot squish them either. The feel of doing that disgust me. Once when I was attacked by an angry swarm of honey bees, there were so many of them caught in my long curly hair, I squished them with my fingers. I was getting stung so many times on my head and the buzzing absolutely drove me crazy. Squishing them between my fingers and thumb thoroughly disgusted me.

sketches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2010, 4:07 pm

I used to enjoy squishing bugs when I was really young. Now, though.... now, I'm fairly disgusted from doing it. I need a good thick, flat surface and something that I am not going to use for anything else. For example, I would not use my remote control, novels/textbooks, or video game cases to smash a bug. But I would use a notebook with a page I can rip out and throw away. I would use the bottom of stuff, like a floor lamp, or the bottom of my fan or clock.

The feel typically disgusts me. Bugs are so alien to me. Ladybugs especially smell strongly after being smushed. I never capture bugs/put them outside. Even outside, I'll aim at bugs on the ground just to step on them! :tongue:

SamwiseGamgee wrote:
I usually just leave spiders to their business and hope that they will kill some of the other bugs that might find their way into my house.
I wish I had that attitude toward spiders!

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2010, 4:45 pm

sketches wrote:
SamwiseGamgee wrote:
I usually just leave spiders to their business and hope that they will kill some of the other bugs that might find their way into my house.
I wish I had that attitude toward spiders!

I think spiders are decent folk. I sometimes name them if they stick around in the same spot for a while. Had one hanging out in my bathroom a few weeks ago named Frank. I guess he's moved on now because I haven't seen him. Not so cool about daddy long legs though, I throw them outside on the rare occasion I see one in my house.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2010, 5:27 pm

Its bad luck to squish Lady Bugs! :( You're suppose to make a wish as they fly from your hand. Daddy Long-Legs are fun to watch. Got to watch out for those Black Widow and Brown Recluse Spiders. :nerdy:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2010, 1:53 am

i am deathly afraid of stinging bees. i detest bloodsucking mosquitos and germy flies. those 3 critters i suck into my vacuum cleaner. every other bug i catch in a clear cup and take outside.

sketches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Apr 2010, 4:28 am

Taupey wrote:
Its bad luck to squish Lady Bugs! :( You're suppose to make a wish as they fly from your hand.

Luck, shmuck. :? I am creeped out deeply by ladybugs, especially when they're in flight, but it's because of a personal experience with them flocking my room.

Sorry if I am offensive; I know some people do take luck seriously. I respect that.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2010, 4:46 pm

sketches wrote:
Taupey wrote:
Its bad luck to squish Lady Bugs! :( You're suppose to make a wish as they fly from your hand.

Luck, shmuck. :? I am creeped out deeply by ladybugs, especially when they're in flight, but it's because of a personal experience with them flocking my room.

Sorry if I am offensive; I know some people do take luck seriously. I respect that.

LOL, I'm not offended. It's your bad luck not mine. ;)

The Lady Bugs flocked to or into your room? I wonder what attracted them... that's interesting...

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2010, 5:40 pm

I don't squish bugs, because they have as much right to live as anyone.

My exception is mosquitoes. I've been bitten by too many mosquitoes, and have gotten ill from it, not to mention the itch. My last vacation was completely ruined by what I believe was West Nile virus. Mosquitoes seek me out and bite me not just once, but all over, and it always swells up and gets really itchy. If I could find a way to repel them without putting poison all over my body, I would. I don't even wear scented products, but still they love me.

If I accidentally squish a bug, I say, "Oh, I'm sorry!" Then I move on.

I don't like it when people squish bugs just for fun, when the bug isn't a threat to them. That seems unnecessarily cruel.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2010, 5:53 pm

I don't like squishing bugs either, unless they're really small and insignificant. Whenever I see a cockroach in my house I try to catch it with a paper towel and flush it down the toilet. My cat sometimes takes care of cockroaches, though.

Why would anyone want to kill a ladybug? Ladybugs are so amiable! :)

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2010, 7:48 pm

I always pick them up and put them outside, I never did like killing things, especially when they've done nothing to deserve it.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2010, 7:51 pm

Descartes wrote:
I don't like squishing bugs either, unless they're really small and insignificant. Whenever I see a cockroach in my house I try to catch it with a paper towel and flush it down the toilet. My cat sometimes takes care of cockroaches, though.

humans are small and igsnificant based on there scale to other life forms

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2010, 8:12 pm

Eggman wrote:
Descartes wrote:

Okay, I guess I'd feel some remorse over accidentally killing a small bug (unless it's a fire ant and it stings me), but it's not like I'm going to cry over it.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2010, 8:24 pm

Descartes wrote:
Eggman wrote:
Descartes wrote:

Okay, I guess I'd feel some remorse over accidentally killing a small bug (unless it's a fire ant and it stings me), but it's not like I'm going to cry over it.
well if it stung you, then its justified insecticed to its agrrivated buggery