What is the worst pain you have experienced?

Page 2 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 6:05 am

Childbirth. 36 hours of excrutiating agony. Worth it though. :)

Leekduck
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 6:08 am

I once fell into a hot spring, a very hot spring

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 6:17 am

I've been pretty lucky in terms of physical pain. When I was about 7 or so someone slammed a car door on my hand (I was inside the car). And it latched shut, so I was stuck that way for a few minutes. -- For some reason when I get hurt I don't yell or scream; I just tend to get very quiet and still. Maybe I just haven't gotten hurt badly enough yet.

Jumping into an ice-cold snow-melt stream once did cause some cursing, come to think of it.

Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 6:25 am

Having my appendix nearly explode was pretty damn painful.

Past that I don't have a whole lot to share. I've fallen off something or hit my head numerous times. Just a few weeks ago I burned the crap out of my thumb thanks to a rip in the potholder..

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 8:08 am

Kat15 wrote:
Physically, not emotionally.

I stepped on a wasp yesterday, worst pain i've felt in a long time

I got stung in the eye by a wasp when I was 6, and since then I still have a fear of any thing that stings

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 9:23 am

When I was 10 my younger brother accidentally slammed in the car door on my right index finger. I know exactly which finger because it's permanently tingly and numb. I guess the nerve got crushed.

I also had a very bad case of swimmers ear a few years ago where my ear canal swelled shut and the whole side of my face got red and puffy. I went to the ER and they stuck a tube into my ear to vacuum out the fluid. The guy hit a sensitive spot near my eardrum and I screaming before I blacked out for a few seconds. That was the worst instantaneous pain I've ever felt.

The most bothersome pain was when I broke my big toe and damaged the cartilage. It swelled up pretty bad and took several months to heal. I was on crutches and popping ibuprofen for a long time.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 9:39 am

When I was little, I smashed my finger by slamming the car door shut on it.

Also, when I was 12, I fractured my left foot after jumping off a storage shed. That was quite painful. :roll:

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Jul 2010, 10:25 am

In my case, it was a triple root canal gone bad. The dentist started it on a Friday afternoon, and said it would stop being pressurized/painful in a few hours. It got worse and worse, and the abscess got so big that it pushed a lump out on my cheek the size of a golf ball. That was the worst pain, as it's the only time I actually considered suicide (in the event that such pain could not have been stopped the next day).

Just to qualify myself in saying how bad that was, I've had plenty of other things happen that are "very painful", and that tooth thing ran circles around any other pain I've known... I smashed a finger so badly that the bone was sticking out, and it hurt super-bad when the air would hit it... I have a really high pain tolerance, as I'm into bodypiercing, and supposedly it's the worst pain to get your nipples pierced. It's painful, but not that bad to me.

Charles

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 10:41 am

Descartes wrote:
Also, when I was 12, I fractured my left foot after jumping off a storage shed. That was quite painful. :roll:

That's similar to what happened to me. I was also 12 when it happened. I tried to jump down a flight of stairs to the deck outside. My left heel caught the bottom step and forced that foot to land toe first. If I had shoes on it probably wouldn't have been so bad but I was barefoot. I had cartilage / tissue damage in the big toe joint and a minor fracture.

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 11:18 am

Aimless wrote:
Ferdinand wrote:
Childbirth.

But seriously, labor pains for me was like getting reamed with a baseball bat. You literally forget to breathe.

My mother said horseback riding was more painful than childbirth (she was in labor for 24 hours, then had a C-section). I'm not entirely sure she remembers what giving birth was like.

Worst pain... I tend to block things out. I guess when my shoulder gets really bad. I have something wrong with it, and though it's been hurting less lately, once in a while it feels like it's burning, and I can't lift anything without it shooting pain.

Three years!

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 11:31 am

Apart from childbirth I've been quite unfortunate... broken numerous bones - arm, fingers, ribs, toes, jaw, been burned a few times, been trampled by a horse (three times!) concussed, whiplashed, beaten up.

Childbirth is still out and out the most traumatic thing ever to happen to me... and nobody ever prepares you for it either. It turned this woman who wanted several kids into someone who never wanted to be pregnant again, ever ever ever.

It still hurts when I think about it... I cracked my coccyx when I was in labour, needed stitches in my clitoris of all places, and didn't even notice that excruciating pain, the rest of it was so bad. I imagine pierced nipples are sore, but I bet they're not a patch on labour.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 11:31 am

Costochondritis, an inflammation of the cartilage around your ribcage. It literally feels like you are having a heart attack.

bodmin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jul 2010, 12:29 pm

Yep, Childbirth top of my list.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 1:06 pm

When I get a pap smear. When I get blood drawn, or an iv, too. I can't stand it either of the three.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 1:09 pm

Childbirth.

J/K

Believe it or not, I would go through childbirth 100 times over if it meant I never had to deal with another migraine again.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 6:22 pm

Ambivalence wrote:
Headaches I get. Not fun.

Agreed. Especially worsened when I bend over, sneeze, laugh, etc...

The IVs I got in my hand today weren't fun, but not the worst pain I've experienced. Getting an IV in your wrist is pretty painful.