Facebook question for those who use it...

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 9:01 am

Those people who you accept as "friends" can they see who your other "friends" are?

If so could this not be awkward? Would people really want their old friends and associates to know who their current work colleagues, current boyfriend/girlfriend and family members are? Couldn't this lead to all manner of talking behind your back and even back-stabbing? Sounds like putting everyone you've ever known and know now into one big room giving them the opportunity to talk about you and stir up mischief?

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 9:43 am

You can set your privacy settings to "friends only" "friends of friends" (like what you said) or "everyone".

Science_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 1:10 pm

A few months ago I noticed a setting that hides your friends from everyone but yourself.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 2:49 pm

Unless you put forth the proper settings, then all your Facebook friends will be able to see all of your friends. It doesn't really bother me, since it's never started any problems for me.

Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2010, 4:10 pm

Science_Guy wrote:
A few months ago I noticed a setting that hides your friends from everyone but yourself.

This is the only way to stop people on your friends list from seeing your other friends. On facebook. you can't choose which people see your friends list or not, it's either all friends or no friends I'm afraid!

sylvr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jul 2010, 10:15 pm

Quote:
Would people really want their old friends and associates to know who their current work colleagues, current boyfriend/girlfriend and family members are?

I don't believe it says (anymore) how person A (you) knows person B (colleague, family, ex). So person C (3rd party creeper) can't see that stuff. Unless of course they just recognize names...

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 62 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Jul 2010, 9:55 am

I don't know for sure, but most all people I see on there, have all of their friends visible. That's really helpful in case you're trying to find someone with a common name in a big city. I've found many of my FB friends by looking at their friends lists, and seeing other people I know amongst. It doesn't bother or worry me that my friends show, or that I show in other peoples' lists. I don't worry about privacy, although obviously I don't put my credit info out anywhere, and I only announce vacations after I'm back. As far as ex-friends or old GFs, I already have some among my FB friends. No problems.

Charles

luvmyaspie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 5:25 pm

You can customise your settings.

I have stopped some of my "friends" seeing things that some of my other "friends" are allowed to see.

I've stopped one of my "friends" seeing all "friends" except "friends" we have in common.