a little concerned for my health: should this worry me?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 12:59 pm

lately i've had this weird almost tender feeling in the area internally around my right abdominals.
This morning it suddenly felt a little worse and i actually felt a ping of mild pain occasionally like some kind of erratic pulse in that area :? . I haven't felt it in the last few minutes, but it was there for a little bit.

Plus i feel kinda jittery, but idk if that's just because this is distressing me a little.
or if possibly maybe there's some issue with my right kidney (the kidneys are where the adrenal glands are located, aren't they?)
just speculation though.

i have a doc appointment scheduled anyways 'cause they wanted to see how i'm doing on the Paxil that they prescribed me last time i was there and 'cause i have to check in every so often to stay eligible for disability benefits.
So while i'm in there for that, i suppose i could ask about this :?

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 1:01 pm

Don't bother checking your health online, seriously, it'll only make you worried. Just see what the doctor says, it's probably nothing.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 1:03 pm

I'm with Asp-Z. There's a million things that *could be* wrong. Searching online is just going to freak you out. It's really best to talk to your doctor about what's been going on.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 1:10 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
Don't bother checking your health online, seriously, it'll only make you worried. Just see what the doctor says, it's probably nothing.

yeah, i'm hoping it's just stress related and temporary :? .
though it's been going on a few days, so idk.
With all that's been happening to me lately, the last thing i need is something serious to crop up medically.

& yeah, i'm not going to stress myself out looking at stuff online.
Idk why, but all the stress in recent months has suddenly turned me into a bit of a hypochondriac. I've never really been much of one before at all, but as my anxiety's been going up, apparently so has my paranoia concerning any strange symptoms i've been getting.

Particularly since a few months ago when i got strep-throat and the fever messed with my head and sent me into a major panic-attack one time in the middle of the night when i was alone in the house. I felt so helpless and irrational at the time, that i felt certain i was dying.
Ever since that happened, i've noticed i've been more health conscious and leery of things :? .

silentbob15
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 1:22 pm

Kidney pain is like having real bad backache in the lumbar region, pain in the right abdominal area could be a sign of appendicitis.
If your worried ask your doctor to check it for you, but as a rule you shouldn't ever self diagnose on the internet because your not a doctor.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 1:24 pm

Kidneys are at the back, so if the pain's at the front it's likely to be a problem with your digestive system.

There's little point in looking up symptoms online, you always end up thinking you have everything. Like assuming flu is bacterial meningitis.

The only time I feared for my health was when I randomly fainted while getting out of the shower a few years ago, but it's never happened since and I don't know why it happened then. I think it was something about a nerve being stimulated and my brain thinking it wasn't going to get enough blood?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 1:37 pm

Seanmw wrote:
lately i've had this weird almost tender feeling in the area internally around my right abdominals.
This morning it suddenly felt a little worse and i actually felt a ping of mild pain occasionally like some kind of erratic pulse in that area :? . I haven't felt it in the last few minutes, but it was there for a little bit.

I sometimes get twinges like that, and they end up evidently being either a bit of digestive irregularity or some kind of nerve twitch from sitting too long in an unusual or awkward position. If the pain becomes more intense or regular and does not go away before you see your doctor, I would probably go to the ER and have someone check it out.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 2:05 pm

I hope that you find out, what's causing the pain.

Stonecold
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 6:05 pm

The kidneys are closer to your back. It's probably just a digestive issue and it'll deal with itself pretty quickly. There's nothing to be worried about.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 9:04 pm

Stonecold wrote:
The kidneys are closer to your back. It's probably just a digestive issue and it'll deal with itself pretty quickly. There's nothing to be worried about.

so like either digestive system or appendix? alrighty
in any case i'll be sure to ask about it at the doctors

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 10:40 am

[puts on doctor hat]

Without knowing your history, I couldn't even begin to narrown down a diagnosis from a pretty non-specific symptom.

If the primary presentation is occasional pain, I would say give it 48 to 72 hours before starting to be concerned, unless it starts to spread or grow worse. If it is interfering with sleep, take a couple of ASA/acetominophen/ibuprofen before going to bed to help you nod off. (If you are sensitive to caffeine, make sure the acetominophen preparation doesn't contain any).