Don't you just hate it when someone asks you this question?

Page 3 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2006, 3:04 am

Cici wrote:
I hate it when people tell me to smile. I will (and do) smile when I think it is necessary. :?

That question is terribly annoying. Surly they don't wish to arouse an ungenuine smile?
I smile when there is reason to do so, not at the foolish prompts of an acquaintance.
I understand their motives may be good, they might just wish to see me happy, but they should see the foolishness of the question.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2006, 3:29 pm

tinky wrote:
"Why are you so quiet?" :roll:
Yeah I've gotten that sometimes... and it pisses me off. Sometimes if you don't talk constantly, people assume you're stupid.... :lol: ... to me, if a person constantly talks, they must not think or observe much, and that's indicative of stupidity. I also don't like it when people stereotype someone as having low self-confidence if they aren't a loud person. To me, confidence involves being an assertive person, it doesn't have to be a loud person/someone who talks a lot.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2006, 3:51 pm

I hate being asked this question, because yeah I'm quiet sometimes. But the idea of me being quiet is either because I have nothing to say or I don't want to talk. When I am feeling like this, I don't then want to be confronted with such a rubbishy question, a blatantly s**t attempt at trying to start a conversation I think.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2006, 7:44 pm

That question just reeks of stupidity if you ask me.

Anyone that asks that deserves to be kicked in the face.

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2006, 8:19 am

i know why i am quiet... i think it is an obvious answer, 'i don't want to talk'
it would be fine if people accepted my answer but they always try to get me into the conversation.... IF I feel like saying something then I WILL say something. very simple right?

HappyPaul
Raven
Raven

24 May 2006, 1:56 pm

hale_bopp wrote:

Yikes! Do we have some anger management issues here? The question is mildly annoying but nothing to get bent out of shape about. At least people are trying to start a conversation with you. You'll really have problems when people don't even try anymore.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2006, 3:24 pm

hale_bopp wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That would be a definite deterrent in asking such a stupid question again Im sure lol

But yes it is a very stupid question.

emp
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2006, 3:32 pm

hale_bopp wrote:

I understand how the question "Why are you so quiet?" is annoying, but I do not see any reasons why it is stupid. It seems to be a valid observation that a person is unusually quiet compared to most people, followed by a display of curiosity about this. Why is that unintelligent? It is irritating yes, but why stupid?

If the answer to the question was obvious, then yes asking the question could be stupid. However the answer is not obvious. There are multiple possible explanations for being quiet, and the person asking has no way of knowing which is the correct one. For example, here are some possible different explanations: very shy; just do not like talking; too lazy to talk; not interested in the conversation; dislike the people; prefer to think about own thoughts; working 3 jobs and too tired to talk; raised in a quiet family; etc.

Rather than a kick in the face, I suggest a haughty response: "Why do you talk so much?" :)

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2006, 4:57 pm

When some one asks me "How are you?" I say good or fine. If i told them how i was really feeling they'd poke me with a spork and back away slowly. I went into a detailed explanation of how I felt one time with this person...He never bothered me again :roll: :) I just find the question annoying all around
My friend probably gets asked those questions to since she has asperger's syndrome...i would ask her but she doesn't like to talk about her syndrome much. I told her about this web site and she mumbled okay. One day she'll realize that she does not have a "sickness" or "disease" that she needs to be cured of.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

TijuanaLady
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 May 2006, 5:40 pm

It happens to me all the time and totaly hate it. I am never ever going to get used to it.
Usually its like "are you OK?" "dont be shy" "why are you so quite?"
BUT the worst of all is when people that dont know me completly ignore i am there and talk for me, for example: Someone ask me sth like "Did you see that movie?" and that third person, i just met 10 min ago, will answer before i even hear the question "She doesnt talk" "dont bother" or sth like that :twisted: I feel so embarrassed and angry at the same time. I dont know how to act, i try to ignore the person but its not always easy

MagicMike
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2006, 6:57 pm

By contrast, people say I talk a lot.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2006, 7:28 pm

What about the question "Tell me about yourself", always asked in job interviews.

Where do you start? Has there ever been a more open ended question?

Although, usually what they mean is "Tell me about your career to date".

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2006, 9:23 am

Rhisiart_Steffan wrote:
I don't get that question, I get "Are you alright?"

i think this question bugs me more then 'why are you so quiet'

if somthings not alright i'll tell you.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2006, 5:28 am

Why am I so quiet?. That question isnt so much stupid but I do find it intrusive. It puts me on the spot to give a response which I dont want to give.
When I do get asked this question I usually end up saying " I dunno". But this response successfully gives the person asking the question the idea that you dont want to be asked that question again.

laplantain
Toucan
Toucan

28 May 2006, 3:02 am

Knightsaber wrote:

Them: Why are you so quiet?
Me: I have Asperger's Syndrome, it's an airborne virus, highly contagious.
Them: (Fleeing)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2006, 9:56 am

I used to get these questions more often:

Are you feeling okay? (I guess I looked sick to most people?)

Are you angry? (got this one all of the time in school)

I guess I wore what was perceived as an angry expression but in truth, I was just concentrating so hard on what to do next and putting one foot in front of the other with all of the obnoxious smells and deafening noise and incomprehensible people to contend with. Maybe this made me look ill, also. I learned to check my expression in a mirror and I did look p.o.ed. I also learned how to walk more naturally, less stiffly, and how to be polite. I fixed it, but I resented having to make all of those changes.