Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 1:46 am

Heard that old song on the radio today and it go me thinking what I would do with a million dollars. I'd get a decent car, a new computer, and go back to school for my engineering degree. So, what would you do with a million dollars?

Kookygirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jul 2011, 2:13 am

I'd buy an Aston Martin v12 vantage, and then the rest of the money would be eaten up by insurance and fuel costs lol

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 3:32 am

I guess half would go to me (partly to help fund my college education) and the other half would go to my parents. They would definitely need the money just as much as I would.

Dingo7
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2011, 3:48 am

I would resist the urge to spend it on cool stuff and invest it in property or something like that... lots of money in property around here... but if i actually did have the money in reality... i would probably throw it around everywhere and regret it later :o

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Jul 2011, 3:54 am

I would buy you a monkey. Haven't you always wanted a MONKEY?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHacDYj8KZM[/youtube]

I would pay off the about 4 thousand debt I still have from a couple years ago. I would give the rest to my girl Megz so she wouldn't have to worry about education or other expenses & be able to start her dream business 1ce she's out of school. I never had a lot of money & there's nothing I really want to buy rite now.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Arian
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jul 2011, 4:20 am

Invest it in a very sound and boring manner ;).

I'd keep a bit back for debts, rent, etc, but yeah, mostly 'd invest :lol:

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 7:50 am

Suddenly acquiring a million dollars or more seems like a dream come true for most people, and in many respects it is. You are able to provide things for your children, for example, that you couldn't otherwise, like university tuition, which amounts to a small fortune these days. You are freed from the hassles of everyday bills, like car insurance or medical expenses. You can travel when and where you like. If you quit working, you don't have to be concerned about your job.

Initially, there is a great temptation to go out and buy things ... a bigger house, a fancier car, more clothes ... but before long you get over that. A deeper and more ongoing concern is how people relate to you, and how you handle the requests for loans and things, especially from relatives. And speaking of relatives, some of them will resent you, some will buddy up to you. You will likely lose some friends over the whole thing, although I guess you could say they probably weren't really your friends to start with.

You also have new problems you never had before, like how to manage the money so that it doesn't disappear when you're not looking, either through neglect or because of incompetent investment managers (which is most of them, in my opinion).

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 7:50 am

I remember that song... God, it surely seemed longer than 4 minutes.

Tamsin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2011, 8:55 am

Hmmmm. I would definitely use it to pay for testing for one of my sick cats. I would also probably donate a large portion of it and then use the rest to buy myself a house and to fix my car. Oh, and I would use it to help pay for college. If I had any left over I would try to save it.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 9:02 am

a house

Katatonic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 10:16 am

Kookygirl wrote:
I'd buy an Aston Martin v12 vantage, and then the rest of the money would be eaten up by insurance and fuel costs lol

Mmm.........I think we should get married lol

Actually......If I ONLY had a million? Well, that wouldn't be enough for a Bugatti Veyron soooooo........I think I'll go with a Audi R8. With the left over money I'd probably 2 sets of tires and then plunk down some cash for a BMW M3 GTR.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Jul 2011, 12:32 pm

I know this is a "fun" thread, but I can't help saying one thing serious: Any extra sum of money you get, should be LEFT ALONE while you have time to think carefully about how to manage it. Get advice from someone you trust, who is already very successful in handling investments, and then divide the money into short-term investing, long-term investing, and spending (if you must). Stick to your plan, and don't let it burn a hole in your pocket!

I won't blabber out on the internet what I have done in the past and do now, but let me just say I have learned how easy it is to squander over $1Mil in a short time, and I know how hard it is and how good it feels to make good choices too.

I have a strict policy that I won't offer any advice to anyone ever, as to how to invest. I refuse that responsibility, so thank you for not asking.

Charles

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 1:34 pm

If I had a million dollars, I'd set half aside for taxes, then I'd calculate how much I'd need to live the rest of my life modestly, and then I'd take out CD's and start banking accounts for my future children and grand children.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 2:12 pm

Probably take my money and move to Europe.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 2:13 pm

Set up a charity organization for a cause I hold dear.

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 3:42 pm

Never work again