How profitable do you think it would be to create a site....

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ApsieGuy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2010, 5:33 pm

Like wrongplanet.net......

Do you think someone could make a living off such a site. I am considering creating one myself. I'm not soliciting...just wondering how profitable sites like this are

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2010, 6:39 pm

I don't think someone could generate a living solely off of a website, unless it is something like eBay or Etsy. To my knowledge, websites mostly get money by ads and donations.

However, I think that making money off of a website might be good for generating extra money in addition to having a job.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2010, 12:48 am

Wrongplanet? Hardly at all.

willa
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2010, 12:50 am

Considering the number of audio commercial ads on this site and how much malware the ads let through on top of how slow the server is we're on and how outdated the board code is I'd venture to guess this site doesnt bring in enough off the ads to support itself well let alone pull a profit (of course could be wrong and that profit could be pocketed ;p )

Making a profit off a site without offering a paid-for service or product is all about content and lots of it. You've got to offer a lot or obviously have a good reason to get your visitors to contribute a lot.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2010, 1:19 am

I think it would be virtually impossible. One of the biggest problems would be getting enough members to create a critical mass. There are several Aspie sites already and they struggle to get new members and due to the lack of posts the few that join often drift away bored. It can take years to build up a good membership.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2010, 2:42 am

Its very possible to make a living off a site like WP.

I don't know how much Alex makes but I know enough about being a web master to know that It would be a lot. Yet because his forum is so large, a lot of the money would go back into hardware and software maintenence.

Members are a critical factor to a site being a success. Or at least targeted traffic. If you can do targeted traffic without huge amounts of members you'd be ok.

Im focusing more on Narrowly targeted traffic as opposed to members.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2010, 2:47 am

Maybe if you offered something beneficial for a fee. For an AS community, something like social skill training, job procurement skills, dating advice and training, and nunchucks skills could be valuable. With all the snake oil and quack remedies, autism must be big business for somebody.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2010, 5:14 am

ApsieGuy wrote:
Like wrongplanet.net......

Do you think someone could make a living off such a site. I am considering creating one myself. I'm not soliciting...just wondering how profitable sites like this are

As far as I know, Alex, WP's admin, does make a living off of it.

Popular sites like this which get a lot of hits can make loads from advertising, but they also have high running costs as the demand on the servers and need for further bandwidth increase.

Still, I think it comes out with a profit.

splendidisolation
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Oct 2010, 7:39 am

I value communities like this and am not interested really in who makes a profit and who doesn't.