Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2012, 2:25 am

Just a bit of fun.

I was thinking, as I was going for a jog today, about different types of drive and perseverance in people. I came up with a nice way of separating us - four distinct groups, based on two constructs:

Drive
Hard & fast: When you do something, you do it with real passion. "Moderation, what's that?"
Slow & steady: You take things at a moderate pace. "Don't want to burn myself out."

Perseverance
Stickers: You keep at something until you have reached your goal, achieved greatness, or otherwise accomplished something.
Quitters: You bore or tire easily, and quit before you got where you wanted/needed to be.

So you could be a hard & fast sticker, hard & fast quitter, slow and steady sticker, or slow and steady quitter. (I suppose there's a fifth group of super lazy people who just don't even start.) Which type you are might depend on the activity, e.g. physical, intellectual or moral, though my guess is people would take a fairly consistent approach to most things in their life.

I picture the hard and fast sticker as someone like an Olympic sprinter, while the slow and steady quitter is the girl in Phys Ed class who shuffles a few metres along the track, gets bored and decides running is stupid.

Which type might you be? I think I'm usually a hard & fast quitter.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2012, 2:33 am

I'm a hard & fast quitter. I'm passionate about whatever I choose to do, but I frequently drop projects at the first sign of difficulty, or even if it takes longer than expected. In fact, I can't ever remember a time when I actually saw a project through to completion...

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2012, 3:32 am

Both, depending on what I am doing.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2012, 3:41 am

outofplace wrote:

Both of which? There are four types. Would you say you could be all four?

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2012, 1:18 pm

yellowtamarin wrote:
outofplace wrote:

Both of which? There are four types. Would you say you could be all four?

Sorry. I was answering the original question posited in the title of the thread. However, now that you mention it, I have traits of all four things, depending on the situation and if I care enough to want to persevere.

MightyMorphin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2012, 1:36 pm

I am also a mix of all 4. It honestly depends what it is. I am quite impatient though and mostly go hard and fast, and give up because I'm not succeeding.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2012, 5:18 pm

I'm also a mixture of all four of those things.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2012, 7:42 pm

Interesting, cheers guys :)

nolan1971
Toucan
Toucan

07 Aug 2012, 9:11 pm

A combo of hard/fast, slow/steady but always a sticker
especially if someone says I can't do it (not capable) I will die trying to prove them wrong!! !! !! ! :D

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Aug 2012, 1:02 am

I think I tend to be Slow & Steady partly due to OCD but I can be a Quitter or a Sticker depending on the circumstances. I'm very quick to quit when it's something I don't see much of a practical purpose for doing & I'm not interested in & I'm not doing it because others are pushing me too. I'm also quick to quit when something is gets difficult if it's something I don't think i can grasp or I can get someone else to do it or I can find a way to work around it or avoid it. I guess I'm a Quitter because of boredom or frustration. On the flipside I'm a Sticker if it's something I kind of have to do or if it's something I think I can get or I'm interested in it. I'm very stubborn when I put my mind to something

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition