Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

whiteskunk
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2006, 7:47 pm

I'm new to instant messengers (yahoo, msn, etc). Can anyone anywhere look up addresses and send you messeges or are the addresses only viewable where you allow it/post it? I'm confused by this.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2006, 8:10 pm

From Yahoo!:
"It's easy to find friends to talk to on Yahoo! Web Messenger. Here's how:

Click Tools located on top of the Yahoo! Web Messenger menu.

Select Manage Friend List and then click on Search for a Friend... to launch our Yahoo! Member Directory site. You can search among all Yahoo! members with public profiles, or you can search only those Yahoo! members who currently use Yahoo! Messenger.

If you find someone who already uses Yahoo! Messenger, you can add them to your Friend List by clicking the Add button, which is located on the Yahoo! Web Messenger tool bar. You'll know they're online and available to chat if the smiley face icon besides their name is bright yellow.
If you find someone you like in Yahoo! Profiles who doesn't use Yahoo! Messenger, you can send them an invitation to download Yahoo! Messenger. You can also invite your friends, family, and anyone else you know.

If you already have friends on Yahoo! Chat, Yahoo! Finance, Yahoo! Message Boards, or Yahoo! Personals, just use their Yahoo! ID or alias name to send them an invitation. "

See also: http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/messenger ... index.html

From Microsoft:
"To add a contact to your list
At the bottom of the main Windows Messenger window, under I want to..., click Add a Contact.
In the Add a Contact Wizard, click one of the following:
By e-mail address or sign-in name if you know this information.

—or—

Search for a contact if you need to find the person's e-mail address.

Follow the directions in the wizard.
Notes

If Add a Contact is not visible in your main Windows Messenger window, on the Tools menu, click Show Actions Pane.
When your contact list is in the Groups view rather than the Online/Offline view, new contacts are added to the All Contacts group. You can copy all new contacts to other groups. "

Also click: Help > Help Topics

-Hope this helps

- Emerson