I start my volunteer job tomorrow

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 9:11 pm

I'm volunteering at the pet shelter. Can't wait. I think it'll be fun working with all those animals.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

Last edited by MasterJedi on 28 Jul 2011, 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 9:26 pm

Congratulations! I also love working with animals. They're adorable. :O)

BillyIdolFan217
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 9:33 pm

Aww I did that 4 years ago with cats at a shelter and loved it! I was so upset when they closed down! I really enjoyed that working with animals! I wanna do it again but I wanna get payed!

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 9:38 pm

Fun, fun, fun! :D

sagan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 9:42 pm

That sounds so cool! I would want to take them all home =)

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 8:58 am

didn't go that well. Too much attachment toward the animals. Kept wanting to touch and hold them all but I couldn't - it wasn't allowed without special dress and precautions. One really set it off. It looked like my beloved tuxedo cat who was hit by a car a little more than a year ago.

Don't know if I can go back.

I might try volunteering at the hospital.

Anyone have any advise?

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 9:09 am

Quote:
Anyone have any advise?

I found it very difficult at first when I started volunteering at an animal shelter. I work with the small animals, which includes rabbits and inevitably the occasional 'Jasmine', 'Pippin' or 'Kenny' (3 of my rabbits who all died young) comes in. It helps to try (at first at least) to detach yourself a bit from the animals. I was a wreck when I first started because every time a sick animal came in I cried! I've been working there since January now and I now feel like I have been accepted both by staff and animals! Many of the animals I started working with have now moved on or in one case died and I am not going to say I just got on with things because I shed a tear during my lunch break, but that's one of the things that happens at an animal shelter.

Do you love animals? That is my main question. I love animals and as a result will do anything for them. I have been attacked, bitten, scratched and on several occasions have had to rescue a 'suicidal' hamster, but I still go in every Wednesday and Saturday. Don't give up straight away, give it a few weeks with an open mind then decide whether you want to stay or not. If I had quit when I first started (I did think about it) then I wouldn't have gained so much life-experience and happiness.

I hope this was good advice :)