Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Technic
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 May 2024, 11:43 am

My mum died. She left my sister and I £40,000 each in the form of a flat.

I would like to put my money in a trust, disability trust.

Can I keep my means tested benefits?

If you inherited money not put in trust in the will, did you receive means tested benefits still?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2024, 11:58 am

My condolences on the loss of your mum.

I had to write a special clause in my Will, so my money will be held in trust for my daughter. My brother will be the administrator and just give her money as needed.

My daughter receives disability benefits and would need to declare the income, meaning she would lose her benefits.

My sons aren't on benefits so they don't need a trust.

I recommend that you consult the solicitor who prepared your mother's Will.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2024, 12:02 pm

There are different rules for different countries in terms of the specifics... but generally, for means tested benefits, you are supposed to have very little money and £40,000 in assets sounds like it would be more than the limit to retain any means tested benefits.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2024, 12:05 pm

Another option is to consider putting all the money in your sister's care under two accounts, assuming she's cool with that and she can be trusted.

Then she could just pay you from the money as needed, or worst case put bigger purchases like a car in her name.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2024, 12:19 pm

Technic wrote:
My mum died. She left my sister and I £40,000 each in the form of a flat.

I would like to put my money in a trust, disability trust.

Can I keep my means tested benefits?

If you inherited money not put in trust in the will, did you receive means tested benefits still?

Is there any sort of pro bono legal advice available to disadvantaged people where you live? These are probably straightforward legal questions. Google's latest AI features might also give you an answer, but I wouldn't necessarily trust it.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2024, 2:23 pm

You use the sign £ so assume you live in the UK.

My advice would be to visit the Citizens Advice bureau, they have one in every large town and can give you advice on benefits etc..

Stay away from anything financial coming from the Internet, i.e financial advisors , bitcoin , investments that will go to the moon etc..

These are nearly all frauds and will end up stealing your money.

- George Bernie Shaw

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2024, 6:35 pm

you need to talk to a professional who knows laws about disability and inheritance, etc to get advice on how to proceed. If you inherit jointly with your sibling, there may be laws and rules about that, and also about the intent of the will. Hope you get it sorted to the benefit of your future.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Technic
Butterfly
Butterfly

Yesterday, 12:10 am

I tried to get legal advice by emailing online, but they are often first page results and not local to my area. They only answer the initial email or phone up. I’m housebound so unless my sister is willing to take me to a solicitor’s? I only have a few hundred pounds a month spare, is that enough?

I can’t ask my sister for help, she’s still grieving and got angry with me when I said can we sort out my trust and speak to a legal advisor.

She also ask how i was going to pay for legal advice etc

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 8:54 am

Technic wrote:
I tried to get legal advice by emailing online, but they are often first page results and not local to my area. They only answer the initial email or phone up. I’m housebound so unless my sister is willing to take me to a solicitor’s? I only have a few hundred pounds a month spare, is that enough?

I can’t ask my sister for help, she’s still grieving and got angry with me when I said can we sort out my trust and speak to a legal advisor.

She also ask how i was going to pay for legal advice etc

Find a solicitor in your area (an actual solicitor with a building not internet based) as lots of scammers.

Send them an email or call them telling them your situation.

If it’s a simple task they may send someone out to you and charge a fixed fee.

No harm in trying

- George Bernie Shaw