yes it is! i prefer the harpsichord version 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
yes it is! i prefer the guitar version 63%  63%  [ 10 ]
meh! i'd rather go eat some ice cream! 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 16

sterfry
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 1:51 am

I think the guitar is more suited for this particular piece as it seemed a little more heartfelt than the harpsichord.

I found it extremely awesome that I clicked on this thread then went into the kitchen to get a bowl of ice cream and then returned to find the three poll choices. :D

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 1:57 am

sterfry wrote:
I think the guitar is more suited for this particular piece as it seemed a little more heartfelt than the harpsichord.

yes, the guitar version was more akin to the emotional rawness of tim buckley, whereas the harpsichord version was archly remote, intellectual and baroque, more like william buckley.

sterfry wrote:
I found it extremely awesome that I clicked on this thread then went into the kitchen to get a bowl of ice cream and then returned to find the three poll choices. :D

a manifestation of synchronicity, i tell you! iow a meaningful coincidence. maybe even kismet. :idea:

Indy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 4:55 am

The best is to play them both together (slightly tricky). :)

I can't have the ice cream because I'm ill. :(

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 5:00 am

Indy wrote:

now THAT is a good :idea: :!:
i will have to try some DSP on a .wav editor to that effect. lots of magic can be done on SoundForge.

Indy wrote:

may you get well quickly. :)

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 5:08 am

I tend to like harpsichord/baroque music, but I preferred the guitar version of this. It was much clearer and distinct, although the harpsichord version is more likely to evoke feelings of nostalgia in me. It's quite a strange tune as I can't tell where it's leading.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 5:13 am

i have a new age version of this melody on an astroscopes astrology cd-rom, it plays on the musical background of the program while it is running. for years, i've wondered what the name of the tune was, the disc gave no clues. only today when i was listening to my local northwest public radio classical station and they played it and then said what it was, was i able to connect the dots to my astrology cd-rom's music.

Indy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 5:29 am

auntblabby wrote:
Indy wrote:

now THAT is a good :idea: :!:
i will have to try some DSP on a .wav editor to that effect. lots of magic can be done on SoundForge.

Indy wrote:

may you get well quickly. :)

Thank you :)

I think your SoundForge plan is great. It would be 8) to hear your edited version.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 1:04 pm

i don't find the song evokes sadness in me, but a song has to lay it on pretty thick for me to experience anything like that. or sometimes if a song is quite happy or sweet, that will occasionally make me sad. but any sort of gentle wistfulness just floats over my head.

the instruments definitely make a big difference in what emotions i feel when i listen to a song. i find cellos and violins especially sad, and sometimes pianos. and voices too, i suppose.

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 2:33 pm

It is a beautiful piece and I love to hear the harpsichord being played, however, I much prefer the production quality of the guitar version.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 3:47 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
i don't find the song evokes sadness in me, but a song has to lay it on pretty thick for me to experience anything like that. or sometimes if a song is quite happy or sweet, that will occasionally make me sad. but any sort of gentle wistfulness just floats over my head. the instruments definitely make a big difference in what emotions i feel when i listen to a song. i find cellos and violins especially sad, and sometimes pianos. and voices too, i suppose.

the guitar was poignant. the harpsichord had an air of intellectual reserve. just the word "saudade" evokes feelings of sadness/wistfulness in me. i guess this is all highly subjective.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 3:48 pm

CosmicRuss wrote:
It is a beautiful piece and I love to hear the harpsichord being played, however, I much prefer the production quality of the guitar version.

it seems by an informal count so far, that not many people seem to like the harpsichord version. maybe because it is less visceral than the guitar version?

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 3:54 pm

The harpsichord version is pretty, but the guitar version is beautiful. I'm more of a piano man than a harpsichord man, though. I'll have to find sheet music for this piece. I think the piano would be far better capable of evoking the same feelings as the guitar version.

SQ: 72/80 (Extreme Synthesiser)
Aspie test: about 150/200 Aspie, about 40/200 NT

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 3:59 pm

Artros wrote:
The harpsichord version is pretty, but the guitar version is beautiful. I'm more of a piano man than a harpsichord man, though. I'll have to find sheet music for this piece. I think the piano would be far better capable of evoking the same feelings as the guitar version.

when i picture the piano version i can't help but think of something new-agey like george winston. a new-age version of this tune was the first time i'd heard it, on an astroscopes astrology CD-ROM. a prepared piano version [ala john cage] would be interesting.

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 4:06 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Artros wrote:

when i picture the piano version i can't help but think of something new-agey like george winston. a new-age version of this tune was the first time i'd heard it, on an astroscopes astrology CD-ROM. a prepared piano version [ala john cage] would be interesting.

There is great sadness in this piece, in an almost Chopinesque way. I don't think it would play very much like any new age music I know.

SQ: 72/80 (Extreme Synthesiser)
Aspie test: about 150/200 Aspie, about 40/200 NT

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 4:10 pm

Artros wrote:
There is great sadness in this piece, in an almost Chopinesque way. I don't think it would play very much like any new age music I know.

i will have to figure out a way to post the astroscopes version. it has something in common with the harpsichord version in that it is airy and celestially removed from the feeling of the guitar version.

Nier
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Aug 2011, 4:30 pm

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
I tend to like harpsichord/baroque music, but I preferred the guitar version of this. It was much clearer and distinct, although the harpsichord version is more likely to evoke feelings of nostalgia in me. It's quite a strange tune as I can't tell where it's leading.

I'm the mirror of this - I like classical & Spanish guitar music, so listened to this first, but when I played the harpsichord version I only had to hear the opening bars to think that was more evocative.

Perhaps the discussion about 'nostalgia for past glories' just reminded me of this film, Russian Ark, which was shot, in entireity, in one take. It was set in the Hermitage museum of St Petersburg - a very interesting piece entered for Cannes in 2002, more visual philosophy than 'a movie' & technically quite a feat. The whole thing is reflection of the past through moving through rooms of the Winter Palace, seeing all the people and events taking place, but always moving on as an observer. It's the ark of memory, floating on the sea outside of time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Ark

Right, 'nuff said, pistachio icecream for me please :D