How many people are seriously afraid of firearms?

Page 5 of 14 [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next

Are you afraid of firearms?
I'm afraid of people using them wrongly, but am not afraid of their mere form. 40%  40%  [ 20 ]
I'm afraid of the mere form of firearms. 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
I don't have a problem with firearms. 32%  32%  [ 16 ]
Other stance regarding firearms that you may state below if you care to do so. 14%  14%  [ 7 ]
I don't have an opinion, I just want an option to click that says nothing. 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 50

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 1:24 pm

Guns, like knives, blunt objects, and human fists, are just tools. They can be used correctly, or incorrectly. However, a gun in itself, is just a tool. Nothing to be afraid of! Remember, guns don't kill people, people kill people.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 1:28 pm

Where I live, almost everybody is armed. We have very, very little violent crime in our town. In the past ten years we have had two murders. One was over drugs, the other was a man who went crazy and killed his wife. The first was with a gun, the second was with some blunt object I believe.

There has been one robbery in the past ten years also. It was of a store and they found later that it was set up betwee the manager and the robber for him to rob her and split the money. The town that I live in is out of the way, so people aren't passing through there. Most people know who everyone else is, which would make identifying a robber easy. I think the fact that everybody knows that almost everybody else is armed is one of the things that cuts down on the crime.

Most of what we have are traffic tickets and pot arrests.

Frances

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 1:41 pm

Mutually assured destruction. Yes, that's an equilibrium solution too. The problem is once the system gets shocked into disequilibrium people are guaranteed to get killed. The alternative equilibrium where only criminals have guns is far more resilient.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 1:46 pm

Not all guns are meant to be used on people when they are purchased. Hand guns are usually for personal protection, unless you are a collector. Most guys I know have rifles or shotguns for hunting. Hunting is really big where I live. Everybody hunts, even quite a few women and girls. I don't. The grocery store is much easier, plus, I don't like venison.

Most hunters drive around with guns in their trucks in the gunrack. They also leave them unlocked with the windows down in parking lots. Kind of odd, I think. Nobody bothers them though.

Frances

Icyclan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Nov 2011, 1:52 pm

fraac wrote:
Icyclan wrote:
And it's alright for criminals to have guns, as long as law-abiding citizens don't?

Yes. Look at Britain. The police and public don't have guns, only criminals have guns. Who gets shot with guns? Criminals and associates of criminals. This is a perfectly reasonable situation, and it's probably an equilibrium situation so long as politicians don't get panicky.

You continually ignore my examples of safe nations where citizens are armed. In the UK, some people are armed, and a few get shot. In Switzerland, everybody is armed, and no one gets shot. As long as the majority, the law-abiding citizens, is armed, the minority, the criminals, will think twice about using their guns. Guns do not make a country less safe, and Switzerland is the undeniable proof of that.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 2:06 pm

Icyclan wrote:
fraac wrote:
Icyclan wrote:
And it's alright for criminals to have guns, as long as law-abiding citizens don't?

Yes. Look at Britain. The police and public don't have guns, only criminals have guns. Who gets shot with guns? Criminals and associates of criminals. This is a perfectly reasonable situation, and it's probably an equilibrium situation so long as politicians don't get panicky.

You continually ignore my examples of safe nations where citizens are armed. In the UK, some people are armed, and a few get shot. In Switzerland, everybody is armed, and no one gets shot. As long as the majority, the law-abiding citizens, is armed, the minority, the criminals, will think twice about using their guns. Guns do not make a country less safe, and Switzerland is the undeniable proof of that.

I think open carry reduces the chance of violence. Say you decide to rob a store. You walk into the store and see five people in line, three of thich have handguns on their belt. Would you still rob the store? I wouldn't.

Frances

Icyclan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Nov 2011, 2:06 pm

fraac wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
fraac wrote:
Icyclan wrote:

What? I suppose it doesn't matter that the only thing necessary to fit into the category of "associate of a criminal" would be to make their acquaintance, willingly or unwillingly?

Acquaintances of criminals don't get shot. Look at who actually gets shot. I mean in the real world. In Britain, if you aren't criminal or knowingly associating with criminals you have to be astoundingly unlucky to get shot. I like those odds.

People like to have the illusion of control, that's the problem. Without thinking rationally most people would rather have a gun in a dangerous situation, because they think they're the one in control. Meanwhile everyone else is thinking the same. Idiots.

Here's a scenario: two people hold you up at gunpoint late at night and intend to rob you. Not a far-fetched situation in any of the world's big cities, bar a lucky few. Suddenly robber A accidentally blurts out the name of robber B. Robber B is currently on two strikes (or the equivalent for that particular nation) and is obviously worried about being identified. He's getting twitchy and he's nervously thinking about his next move.

Now, assuming only robber B is armed, would you feel more in control if you had an easy to reach, concealed firearm, or if you were completely defenceless?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 2:24 pm

emlion wrote:
I am going shooting some time this week. :D

Cool. With the actor who played Rodney McKay?

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 2:31 pm

Icyclan wrote:
In Switzerland, everybody is armed, and no one gets shot. As long as the majority, the law-abiding citizens, is armed, the minority, the criminals, will think twice about using their guns. Guns do not make a country less safe, and Switzerland is the undeniable proof of that.

You've just demonstrated that everyone is safe as long as the majority of citizens are Swiss. Switzerland is the undeniable proof of that.

Quote:
Here's a scenario: two people hold you up at gunpoint late at night and intend to rob you. Not a far-fetched situation in any of the world's big cities, bar a lucky few. Suddenly robber A accidentally blurts out the name of robber B. Robber B is currently on two strikes (or the equivalent for that particular nation) and is obviously worried about being identified. He's getting twitchy and he's nervously thinking about his next move.

Now, assuming only robber B is armed, would you feel more in control if you had an easy to reach, concealed firearm, or if you were completely defenceless?

Exactly my point. Feeling in control is BS when multiple people have guns. If you have a gun in that situation, you're dead. If you don't you take your chances. The simple fact is law-abiding people who carry guns get shot a lot more than those who don't. The only effect of guns is to raise the stakes. This is basic game theory.

Last edited by fraac on 27 Nov 2011, 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 2:33 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
emlion wrote:
I am going shooting some time this week. :D

Cool. With the actor who played Rodney McKay?

No, with Jack Bauer. 8)

Seriously though, my boyfriends dad is a qualified instructor so sometimes we'll go and shoot some targets. :D

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 2:40 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
I think open carry reduces the chance of violence. Say you decide to rob a store. You walk into the store and see five people in line, three of thich have handguns on their belt. Would you still rob the store? I wouldn't.

Frances

So you rob the next store where they still have guns but they're concealed. That increases, not reduces the chance of violence. MAD only works if there is nowhere else to shop and all weapons are clearly visible.

Last edited by fraac on 27 Nov 2011, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 2:41 pm

fraac wrote:
The simple fact is law-abiding people who carry guns get shot a lot more than those who don't.

What of when law abiding people are forbidden from owning or carrying any weapons? There's little risk then for crimes to be committed. And what of drive-by shootings? I lost a brother to that in '95 and although he had no weapons it didn't stop his murderers from repeatedly shooting him with shotguns and automatic assault rifles. I suppose it's the "one lone incident" and "anecdotal evidence" excuse you'll come up with to still say that the bs "game theory" is still right.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 2:44 pm

A certain, small amount of crime must be tacitly considered acceptable.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 2:44 pm

fraac wrote:

No, it's not acceptable. Criminals who murder need to be hunted down and crushed, not tolerated.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 2:47 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
fraac wrote:

No, it's not acceptable. Criminals who murder need to be hunted down and crushed, not tolerated.

Make a show of it to keep people happy but, certainly, a small amount of all forms of crime must be quietly accepted. Otherwise society is ruined.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Nov 2011, 2:54 pm

I've always been a gun owner and have no fear whatsoever, of any firearms or of other gun owners. I'm much more likely to get hurt/killed by someone's car on the street, than by any gun.

Charles