Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Whosinabunker
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jan 2012, 11:29 am

The title sounds more interesting than this post might suggest, but what I mean by that title is: Have you ever had the desire to just say "Screw it! I'm out!" and just go on the road? To travel the country, meet all sorts of people, not have to worry about money or getting a college degree, or even have to worry about living up to society's social standards. It sounds incredible to me, it's really hard to resist that urge, that's all I feel that I want to do with my life, I don't want a 9-5 job, I want to roam freely, to help others when I can. It could be incredibly meditative. They say that you have to lose yourself, in order to find yourself, how else is better to get lost than to just pick a direction and start walking? You could gain SO MUCH knowledge in terms of cultures and people, how to survive and live off what is available. In our modern society, most people would hate me for saying this but, it's what I really want to do. Is this wrong of me? Is it abnormal? I mean, I'm already everything society hates, but is this really that out of the ordinary? Has anyone else had thoughts like this?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 12:28 pm

Whosinabunker wrote:
The title sounds more interesting than this post might suggest, but what I mean by that title is: Have you ever had the desire to just say "Screw it! I'm out!" and just go on the road? To travel the country, meet all sorts of people, not have to worry about money or getting a college degree, or even have to worry about living up to society's social standards. It sounds incredible to me, it's really hard to resist that urge, that's all I feel that I want to do with my life, I don't want a 9-5 job, I want to roam freely, to help others when I can. It could be incredibly meditative. They say that you have to lose yourself, in order to find yourself, how else is better to get lost than to just pick a direction and start walking? You could gain SO MUCH knowledge in terms of cultures and people, how to survive and live off what is available. In our modern society, most people would hate me for saying this but, it's what I really want to do. Is this wrong of me? Is it abnormal? I mean, I'm already everything society hates, but is this really that out of the ordinary? Has anyone else had thoughts like this?

I'm actually writing a scifi short story about a character with a similar attitude about wanting to fly away from the world they live on.

Ynnep
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jan 2012, 3:12 pm

OP, why can't you do what you want? Why not it the road and see what happens? What is holding you back?

Whosinabunker
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jan 2012, 3:32 pm

Ynnep wrote:
OP, why can't you do what you want? Why not it the road and see what happens? What is holding you back?

My family (my love for them, they aren't actually keeping me from doing so), and possibly my mindset that I have developed over my lifetime that I have some "standards" to live up to that society has placed on me. After all, it's been me living up to those standards as best as I can that I have come this far. When you really think about it though...nothing is holding me back...

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 5:21 pm

With the direction I am heading, I wouldn't be surprised if that is where I end up. I think I would be more survivalist than riding the rails, but who knows. I hang in there and do well at times, but some people just aren't meant to fit into society over the long haul. So much what people do is incredibly boring and frustratingly confusing to me that I wonder why I insist on being part of it all.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Jan 2012, 9:05 pm

I felt like doing that when I was a kid & had bed meltdowns with my parents over school

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_6TBTP-EJI[/youtube]
Never wanted to stab thou

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Ynnep
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jan 2012, 11:02 pm

Why don't you just "kinda" do it? Take a break from all of your pressures and successes and just travel for a while, you'll be richer for it.....well, maybe not financially.

Whosinabunker
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jan 2012, 11:07 pm

sluice wrote:
With the direction I am heading, I wouldn't be surprised if that is where I end up. I think I would be more survivalist than riding the rails, but who knows. I hang in there and do well at times, but some people just aren't meant to fit into society over the long haul. So much what people do is incredibly boring and frustratingly confusing to me that I wonder why I insist on being part of it all.

This is true, some people just aren't made for our modern society, I feel like I may be one of them =D

Ynnep wrote:
Why don't you just "kinda" do it? Take a break from all of your pressures and successes and just travel for a while, you'll be richer for it.....well, maybe not financially.

Well, one of the reasons I would consider it, is to get rid of my worry about the "financial" part. It's all about money, money, money in our modern society and that's one part of the whole deal that I can't stand. Also, what do you mean, "kinda" do it? I mean in greater detail?

Ynnep
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jan 2012, 11:10 pm

I meant just do it for a while. As for finances, it's not as expensive as people think to travel. Where would you like to go?

ime1729
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Jan 2012, 12:23 am

first impression: Christopher McCandless

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 12:20 pm

Check out MidAmerica Shows. It's a large carnival outfit and you can get a job there, and travel all you want. They have a website. Also you could check out some smaller carnivals.

There used to be a publication called the AB (Amusement Business) but it went out of business. There may be something else along those lines now. I don't know.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

ValaMephista
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jan 2012, 10:36 pm

ime1729 wrote:

That was my first thought too. Unfortunately, his story didn't end so well, but that doesn't mean yours has to end in the same way.

On the other hand, what are your true reasons for wanting to do this? To be free from society's expectations of the college degree (complete with massive amounts of debt), the house, the car and the 2.5 kids? To truly experience the world? To give yourself the ultimate challenge and figure out what it's really like to live with nothing or even on the edge of death? To find somewhere where more people understand you? To make it so you don't have to deal with other people--or (my reason for considering this sort of thing for a period of time) to make it so other people don't have to deal with you?

Just something to think about.

Whosinabunker
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jan 2012, 11:57 pm

ValaMephista wrote:
ime1729 wrote:

That was my first thought too. Unfortunately, his story didn't end so well, but that doesn't mean yours has to end in the same way.

On the other hand, what are your true reasons for wanting to do this? To be free from society's expectations of the college degree (complete with massive amounts of debt), the house, the car and the 2.5 kids? To truly experience the world? To give yourself the ultimate challenge and figure out what it's really like to live with nothing or even on the edge of death? To find somewhere where more people understand you? To make it so you don't have to deal with other people--or (my reason for considering this sort of thing for a period of time) to make it so other people don't have to deal with you?

Just something to think about.

Actually...most of these things factor into it. Minus the "not dealing with other people" part, at least after awhile. I want to really experience the world and see all the variety it has to offer in terms of people, locales, and the various cultures. I moved away from my hometown about 5 years ago now and I feel better for it. I moved to a larger city and as such I can get a glimpse of an entirely different set of cultures and beliefs, it's fascinating and fun! My only question and worry is, what do I do to get started? Pick a direction and just go for it and see what comes of it? That sounds appealing actually.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 12:08 am

Well, if you want to head out on your own without something like a carnival to work for, the first thing you need to do is figure out how you are going to support yourself out there. Are you going to go from place to place and do odd jobs, or work at those temporary day labor places? Is there something you could do anywhere like build websites or something and take your laptop to a place that has wireless to do that? Figure out how you will live and what you will live on is number one. Also make sure you have enough money for food, gas/bus fare, shelter when needed for about a month. Take that with you when you go.

Decide on transportation. Will you be taking your own car or the bus, or do you plan to hitch hike? Decide on your means of getting from place to place. Have that set up.

Where will you sleep? Are you going to stay in cheap hotels, shelters, a tent in some parts of the country, or on the street? Line those things up as well.

Pack for the area you are going to. Just a backpack. Take three changes of clothing and underwear. Hygeine products including something to wash your clothes with in a bathroom sink if need be.

Get a good physical checkup first to make sure you are up to it healthwise. You probably are, but the last thing you need on the road is health complications.

Make sure you have a cellphone with nationwide service so you can keep in touch with family and they can reach you in an emergency. Make sure you tell them the general direction you are going in.

That's what to do if you are going by yourself. Just a few of the basics.

I'd still recommend the carnival. It's very easy to get hired, the work is easy and if you do it well the pay is good. It's an adventure for sure. You see a lot of places and meet a lot of people.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 12:10 am

Another suggestion would be to hook up with one of the Rainbow Family groups that travel. You would definately be roughing it with them because they usually stay in tents in the woods. However, they are a very fun and welcoming bunch. Rainbow Family has a website with listings of their scheduled gatherings all over the country. Look for one near you and just show up. That's all you do. Anybody can be Rainbow and go with them.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 12:14 am

Yes! I wanna go to Lisbon (I've been there twice) with nothing except a knapsack with stuff and a katana and hike to Hong Kong, doing good deeds along the way.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html