What does it mean to "Have a Heart'?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

A test-taker starts to cry during a test. You are the proctor. What should you do?
Ask the person to leave immediately, and dispose of the answer sheet. 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Ask the person if they would like to continue at a later time. 36%  36%  [ 8 ]
Ask the person if they would like something to calm them down. 23%  23%  [ 5 ]
Give the person a passing grade, and dispose of the answer sheet. 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Other: ________________ (Please explain). 32%  32%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 22

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 9:29 pm

For the above poll, imagine that a person is taking a test for which they are not prepared. The person then tears up and can not continue. What should the person administering the test (the "Proctor") do, assuming that he or she "Has a Heart"?

For purposes of discussion, please focus on the following two questions:

1. What do you mean when you tell someone to "Have a Heart"?

2. What does it mean to you to be told to "Have a Heart"?

Please remain calm while taking the poll and posting your answers.

Thank you.

bucephalus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 9:40 pm

i don't think anyone's told me to 'have a heart' so it's hard to say. likewise i don't ever recall suggesting someone else 'has a heart'. to me it seems like something said by someone that wants to persuade someone else to break rules for their own gain

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 9:49 pm

bucephalus wrote:
... it seems like something said by someone that wants to persuade someone else to break rules for their own gain

That's my take (I voted "Other"). It seems to be the next step when complaining about a lack of fairness yields no results. It could also be said to try to get someone to soften their attitude in an emotional situation, like a funeral ... "Have a heart! His widow doesn't need to know about his secret love affair!"

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 10:00 pm

Short term kindness: Let the person take it at a later time (with different questions, obviously), or, less likely, pass them. They go home happy and you feel warm and fuzzy inside having done a good deed.

Long term kindness: Ask them if they need anything (tissues, a water bottle, etc) and tell them to just try their best. They go home unhappy and so do you, but in the future maybe the person will think twice before going in unprepared and letting the situation happen.

They might also just be trying to scam you somehow. But ultimately cutting corners for people all the time does everyone (them included) more bad than good

"Have a heart" is just a way to induce sympathy through guilt often focusing on the short term

Last edited by Vigilans on 21 Feb 2012, 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kestrel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 10:02 pm

A "heart," in my understanding, is a capacity for sentimentalism. My reference for this is the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz.

That I am most likely over-analyzing a situation, or not considering it in the way someone else would like me to consider it (I have been told this before).

My answer to the question in the OP: I do not know. I can get sentimental about some things (plants / animals / nature / inanimate objects), but have a hard time getting sentimental about individual people.

AnnettaMarie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 10:41 pm

I haven't heard of this phrase before. But it's reminded me that Valentine's Day candy is on sale. I think I'll buy some this weekend. I'll have many hearts. And they'll all be made of milk chocolate.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 10:43 pm

AnnettaMarie wrote:
But it's reminded me that Valentine's Day candy is on sale.

hmm good point, I have had a craving for those little candy hearts with cheesy messages on them

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 11:10 pm

Under this situation, 'having an heart' would mean listening to whether they have a valid excuse for coming in unready from a preparation or mental standpoint. A sudden death in the family or personal illness/injury causing missed time might warrant a later test date, but that should have been broached prior to the test date. Really though, you can't have different standards for one person and not another.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 11:22 pm

sluice wrote:
Under this situation, 'having an heart' would mean listening to whether they have a valid excuse for coming in unready from a preparation or mental standpoint. A sudden death in the family or personal illness/injury causing missed time might warrant a later test date, but that should have been broached prior to the test date. Really though, you can't have different standards for one person and not another.

Everybody holding to the same standards, everywhere, and all of the time?

That's the antithesis of Affirmative Action.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 11:49 pm

I'd give the person a passing grade and dispose of the answer sheet.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 12:10 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'd give the person a passing grade and dispose of the answer sheet.

Even though that might mean that they've essentially manipulated you into giving them a free ride?

Even though it cheapens the efforts of those who have earned their higher grades?

Even though a passing grade means that the person might be hired into a job that they can not handle?

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 12:11 am

i don't understand the poll options. what am i supposed to do, according to my proctor rules? because that's what i would do.

also, did the test-taker ask me to have a heart?

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 3:22 am

It depends. The person may have gone through a traumatic experience recently which has triggered the emotional response, in which case they should be allowed to do the test at a later date.

If they are just sobbing because they didn't do enough study, then that's their fault.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 4:34 am

Fnord wrote:

That they are being mean/uncaring and they should be less mean and more caring.

I would ignore them. I don't know what to do with/for crying people. Maybe offer them some tissues if some were available and they didn't seem to have any.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Feb 2012, 4:51 am

Being told to have a heart would not affect what I would do so that phrase is irrelevant here. I voted for Other because what I would do would depend on the student's history in my class. If he's someone who hasn't been doing homework or paying attention & has been skipping class or is the class clown & needs to do well on this test to pass the class; I would NOT cut him any slack at all & would send him to the office if his crying was disruptive. If the student has learning problems or anxiety issues or is having problems that day because of another student in class; I would offer to give him the test privately after class. If it was a situation where he's having some family trouble or personal problem; I would excuse him from the test & not factor the test in when doing the grade average at the end of the semester

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 12:18 pm

It means to be sensitive about the feelings of the people around you.