Page 6 of 9 [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 10:38 pm

Quote:
What your saying is utter nonsense- both overthinking and underthinking.

Here is the thing. I have a horrible pragmatic disorder that I'm trying to work on so some of the things people say even on here I don't grasp.

How is it possible for one to both overthink and underthink something at the exact same time? Will you please explain this one? How did I over and underthink this one?

Quote:
There IS always someone worse off than you.

If your gf leaves you- could be worse. You could be starving in Bangladesh. If you ARE someone starving in Bangladesh- could be worse- you could be anyone on the planet who has terminal cancer.
IF you do have terminal cancer- atleast you're alive. Ninety persent of the people who have ever lived arent alive anymore now. You can always imagine someone (probably billions of people) worse off than yourself at any given moment.

I wasn't thinking about someone being dead. I didn't know one could include this. I was thinking about them living only. Are you saying death is the worst state?

OddButWhy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 11:18 pm

hanyo wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
"I'm sorry, but..." or "No offense, but..."

I used to have a neighbor that seemed to think she could say anything she wanted no matter how mean, rude, or insulting as long as she said "no offense" afterward.

I once had a girlfriend who used "present company excluded" in much the same way.

This may be a Chesapeake Bay - area thing, pronouncing "oyster" as "urster," as in, "give me another dozen of those ursters, will ya?"

Bling, doubly so for Bling-Bling.

Gangsta

Hoodie

strange_bird
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jun 2013, 4:17 am

Tell me 'What's wrong? "
"all ok"
"BUT , I CAN SEE"

ufffff(((

Alycat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 9:38 am

When people say 'literally' and don't literally mean literally. :?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 12:06 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
Quote:
What your saying is utter nonsense- both overthinking and underthinking.

Here is the thing. I have a horrible pragmatic disorder that I'm trying to work on so some of the things people say even on here I don't grasp.

How is it possible for one to both overthink and underthink something at the exact same time? Will you please explain this one? How did I over and underthink this one?

Quote:
There IS always someone worse off than you.

If your gf leaves you- could be worse. You could be starving in Bangladesh. If you ARE someone starving in Bangladesh- could be worse- you could be anyone on the planet who has terminal cancer.
IF you do have terminal cancer- atleast you're alive. Ninety persent of the people who have ever lived arent alive anymore now. You can always imagine someone (probably billions of people) worse off than yourself at any given moment.

I wasn't thinking about someone being dead. I didn't know one could include this. I was thinking about them living only. Are you saying death is the worst state?

By over thinking and underthing... I meant you were overanalyzing (on one hand) and ignoring obvious common sense things on the other ( being penny wise and pound foolish with your mental energy).

Going into all of that math stuff- but not thinking of stark images of starving children in Somalia (or wherever) from the news that might come to many peoples minds.

Being close to death is usually considered to be an unenviable state.

Being actually dead- I dunno. If you want- I will shoot you to death - and you can report back on how you like it-if you want. Just kidding. But the point is that we dont live on an island of 100 people- we live on this vast veil of tears called Earth in which you can always imagine someone worse off than yourself. Thats just common sense.

But I dont use the expression much either- even though I do get the meaning.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 27 Jun 2013, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 12:15 pm

"one of the only..." instead of "one ofthe few..." :evil:

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 12:48 pm

Half words (Vacay instead of Vacation).

Instead of "Excuse me" saying "scumee scumee scumee"

Saying "I know right!" as a response to anything, it's only funny the first 200 times someone does it.

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 1:22 pm

Wow, aspies sure are annoyed by a lot of phrases! I can't think of any that haven't already been covered, but...

Popsicle wrote:
"Most people are as happy as they choose to be." (not true)

I think that's a matter of opinion. It's hard to say it's "true" or "false" as it's not a factual question, but I think there's more truth in it than people like to admit. That is to say: most people have a greater level of control over their happiness than they realise.

Popsicle wrote:
"It is what it is." (as opposed to 'it isn't what is is' or 'it is what it isn't?' - get an opinion, please.)

I actually really like that saying. Do you not understand the intended meaning of the phrase (which is not literal) or do you see something else wrong with it?

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 10:34 am

Quote:
By over thinking and underthing... I meant you were overanalyzing (on one hand) and ignoring obvious common sense things on the other ( being penny wise and pound foolish with your mental energy).

Going into all of that math stuff- but not thinking of stark images of starving children in Somalia (or wherever) from the news that might come to many peoples minds.

Being close to death is usually considered to be an unenviable state.

Being actually dead- I dunno. If you want- I will shoot you to death - and you can report back on how you like it-if you want. Just kidding. But the point is that we dont live on an island of 100 people- we live on this vast veil of tears called Earth in which you can always imagine someone worse off than yourself. Thats just common sense.

But I dont use the expression much either- even though I do get the meaning.

There are 6.974 billion people on the planet Earth. This is a huge but finite series. In a finite series, unless all of the values are the same, we will have the highest number and the lowest number. In fact, it is possible to have multiple entries have the same numbers including n amount of them being the highest or lowest number in the series.

Actually, I was thinking of starving children in Somalia. They really do have it pretty bad. This would be considered a low number in the series. When you state you can always imagine someone worse than yourself how is this logically possible for all 6.974 billion people who exist today if all 6.974 billion people tried to do this? At least one person would have to have it worse of it all and at least one person would have to have it best of all.

Can one do the inverse to this which is this? Can all 6.974 billion people on our Earth today always find someone who is better than them? If someone has it the best or the worst how can they find someone that is worse or better than them? Your statement excludes a best and worst or top ranking or a bottom ranking.

The only way I see it as possible is we would have to have an infinite series. This means we would have to have an infinite amount of people to meet the condition that you state. The logic you're stating to me makes no sense to me. How is it logically possible to claim what you claim?

You state it is common sense. Does common sense mean what this dictionary says it means?

Definition: sound and prudent judgment based on a simple perception of the situation or facts
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/common+sense

The way I wrote it is as simple as I see it. To me, those who live by and state this assertion are disregarding a simple fact that all entries have a high point and a low point excluding those in which all entries equal each other. To me, what I am writing is a simple perception of the situation or facts. How is it not? If this isn't then what does simple perception of the situation or facts mean?

I don't grasp your logical reasoning at all.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 10:47 am

I don't really like the "there is always someone else worse off than you" saying either. I guess it's supposed to somehow make you feel better because you aren't as bad off as you could be but it can seem very dismissive of your problems.

Plus if other people are "worse off" I guess I don't care in the sense that their being worse off doesn't make me feel any better about my problems.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 3:19 pm

"You must forget about the past and move on.The future is all that matters "
- In that case there goes my interest in history,the chance to learn from experience and and the joy of reminsicing on any pleasant times.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 5:19 pm

Stop staring...

OddButWhy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 9:16 pm

You're too sensitive.

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 2:09 am

"Everyone and their grandmother..."

I don't know why but this phrase annoys me.

"Not being funny, but..."

This is a Britsh expression I believe. If someone starts with this phrase, they're about to say something you don't want to hear. Same as "No offense but..."

Oh, and when I hear people say "I could care less." I'd think, (why don't you then?)

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 12:25 pm

Any sentence that begins
"I'm not racist, but . . ." or "I'm not a sexist, but . . ." or "I don't have anything against [insert any group of people here], but . . ."

Any sentence that requires the use of "air quotes" in order to be understood.

Any sentence that begins
"you know what you need to/ought to/have to do is . . ."

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 3:44 pm

Anybody who calls me "dude" loses all credibility.