Page 3 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 9:00 pm

Joan Crawford detested her. But then, Joan Crawford was a pretty hateful person.

Sylkat

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 9:53 pm

Joan Crawford detested just about everyone except her fans.

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 10:41 pm

I'd have to say that todays world you can quickly fade into the background and there are so many famous people that even if you are famous you'd simply be a dot. But think back into the past, with super elite - with stories to tell, with history that isn't cataloged moment to moment via twitter. There are more beautiful women, but it doesn't matter who as much as "what" it was. Its history and adventure - its story's and a interest in the uniqueness of the person. Its Rosa Parks, its Amelia Earhart, its Joan of Arc...

Symbols rather than people.

My family has ties to Joe DiMaggio who was married to her (my grandmother ran his restaurant) he also signed a ball to me when I was a baby. I don't per say enjoy the whole history behind it all, its just not interesting.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 12:05 am

GrimmRomance wrote:
Personally I love Marilyn Monroe. I love her sensitivity, her incredible intelligence, her troubled soul, her talent and her extremes.
She was a fascinating character.

As for her looks; there is nothing there for me not to like. Her curves were and are legendary.

Oh Gosh I couldnt agree more about her personality but she wasnt to bad looking but I prefer redheads like Lucille Ball who played Lucy on one of my favorite shows I love Lucy me and my mum watch that show together :P

EmmaUK12
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 3:19 am

lostgirl1986 wrote:
Joan Crawford detested just about everyone except her fans.

Haha, true.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 2:57 pm

In a way, Joan Crawford reminds me of the queen who asked the mirror who was the most beautiful, and went screaming bonkers when someone else was named.

Sylkat :roll:

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 4:27 pm

Uprising wrote:
Am I the only person on the planet who doesn't understand what the fuss behind that girl is? Tons of other women are way better looking, I don't really get the deal.

I might just be a cultural barbarian but what the heck...

Sorry for trolling...

She is a cult of personality. That sort of thing happens when you die too young and you are somewhat famous. Being linked to JFK (another cult of personality) doesn't hurt either. So since she is pretty and vulnerable, and has lots of quotes, she has become a martyr for insecure teenage girls obsessed with fashion and fame, much in the same way Kurt Cobain is a martyr for disaffected youth obsessed with music and that hate popular culture.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 5:46 pm

Dear Mindslave, very good points...

Sylkat

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 6:02 pm

I never got it either. Then sometime in the late seventies I happened to catch The Prince and the Showgirl (with Laurence Olivier), on late night TV. She was actually very talented, and from most accounts a very likable person. For the most part, those are the reasons I've heard more than others from her co workers.

I've always thought of her as rather plain looking, and never liked the bleach blonde hair.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 3:30 am

There were two sides to her personality, extremes, really, leading some to surmise that she was bi-polar. Her mother was a diagnosed severe schizophrenic, frequently institutionalized.

Sylkat

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 10:59 am

I wanna be loved by you
just you and nobody else but you
I wanna be loved by you, alone
Boo boo bee doo

I wanna be kissed by you
just you and nobody else but you
I wanna be kissed by you, alone
Boo boo bee doo

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 5:48 pm

If she were still alive today, Marilyn Monroe would be 86 years old (b. June 1, 1926).

I thought she looked "hot" in her movies, but I was only 5 years old when she died (August 5, 1962).

She spent most of her childhood in in a series of foster homes, and the final years of her life were marked by illness, personal problems, and a reputation for being unreliable and difficult to work with. Rumors abounded that linked her with millionaires, actors, politicians, producers, directors, stage hands ... et cetera. It seems that all she ever wanted was to be loved. Instead, she was used, abused, and tossed aside by the men she looked up to.

All she had was her physical appearance - she never even graduated high school. Maybe it's for the best that she died so young (36 years old), so that people can remember her for her beauty before it faded and withered away.

> Link to Wikipedia Article on Marilyn Monroe <

Kris30
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Mar 2013, 6:04 pm

Her lasting appeal is down to several factors:

1. Like Elvis, Lennon etc, There's nothing quite like dying young to heighten appreciation for your work, even when perhaps it's not warranted.

2. she made iconic movies like 'The Seven Year Itch and 'Some Like It Hot', which are still highly regarded.

3. Her father didn't want to know her, her mother was in a mental institute and she was orphaned at a young age. People sympathise with her story and people appreciate that she had absolutely no right to make it in life, but did and that's despite inheriting her mothers mental issues.

4. Her death still has people talking. She hated being viewed as a sex object and this naively lead her into tempestuous relations with the Kennedy brothers in an attempt to improve her standing. The USA is a hub for conspiracy theories, but it's bordering on absolute fact that she was murdered for what she knew and in the presence of Robert Kennedy.

Sorry as you might have gathered, I actually rather quite like her! :D

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 6:11 pm

I often wonder why there is still such fascination with her. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against her as a person, but she's been dead for over 50 years, and there are so many more women alive today who are at least as beautiful as MM ever was, and who don't have as much going against them.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

BanjoGirl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 6:58 pm

When I watch her movies she always gets my attention. She had a radiant presence and she was very charming.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 7:35 pm

Fnord wrote:
I often wonder why there is still such fascination with her. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against her as a person, but she's been dead for over 50 years, and there are so many more women alive today who are at least as beautiful as MM ever was, and who don't have as much going against them.

Look up "The Titanic" and "James Dean"... She is not a real person, she is a media hyped commercialized product.