Page 2 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 11:04 pm

I really think that Bettie Page was the perfect pin-up, not Marilyn Monroe. Bettie had a sort of playfulness, seemed like she was having fun with the whole thing, not taking it so seriously; just my opinion.

Sylkat

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 11:20 pm

Sylkat wrote:
I really think that Bettie Page was the perfect pin-up, not Marilyn Monroe. Bettie had a sort of playfulness, seemed like she was having fun with the whole thing, not taking it so seriously; just my opinion.

Sylkat

I don't like her bangs.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 11:50 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
Sylkat wrote:

Sylkat

I don't like her bangs.

Yeah, Bettie Page > Marilyen Monroe. Though Dita Von Teese > then both of them.

EmmaUK12
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 9:32 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
Uprising wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
Mia Farrow

Excuse me for being a cultural waste but who is that?

She was in Rosemary's Baby, she was also Woody Allen's wife that he left and married their adopted daughter.

I just looked this up...creepy. 8O

Trigas
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 9:59 am

Meh, she's really not all that special in my book either. Couldn't understand all the fuss about her.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 10:19 am

Meh. I don't like actresses, anyway, but I prefer the way Marilyn looked to the way Audrey looked. Audrey looked like a squirrel in chic clothing. Bettie Page I feel sort of sorry for (I do with Marilyn, a bit) what with the mental problems and everything.

I've never really been too interested in actors and actresses. More interested in musicians.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 10:31 am

i developed a mild interest in her when i saw a documentary once which was about the "real marilyn monroe", and in that documentary there were clips of her in her real life that seemed impressive to me.
i went on to read about her.

from what i have read, marilyn monroe was required to play the part of a dumb blonde in real life to solidify her image as a dumb blonde in the movie roles she played. in the 1950's and early 1960's, women were admired mainly for their physical appearance, and her appeal was in the vein of "the beautiful clueless damsel".

most men wanted to be the pillar of support to beautiful but clueless damsels. they wanted to be the powerful and successful prince valiant's that provided those damsels with security.

but as far as i know, she had an IQ of 163, and she was far more intelligent than the people who idolized her for her "childish and beautiful simplicity".

there was much more to marilyn monroe than was revealed by her publicists.

apparently JFK had an IQ of 129, and she was able to "play him like a violin", and it may have been because of that, that he did not know what she gleaned from their conversations, and it may have been the reason she died.

she wanted to be a "star" above all else because she was ignored and neglected when she was a child. as it happened, she had a set of physical attributes that was tailor made for instant success (in that era), and she suppressed her intellect publicly in sacrifice to that success.

i believe that the private life of marilyn monroe was not the same as her public image.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 10:53 am

Miss Monroe had fame and glamour and wore expensive clothes and jewelry and perfume, but the house she died in was the only home she ever owned. I always thought that was odd for someone who was always looking for security and stability. Tony Curtis loathed her, called her the meanest woman in Hollywood, and said that kissing her (in'Some Like It Hot")was " like kissing Hitler".... He was Jewish, by the way.

Sylkat

b9
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 11:21 am

Sylkat wrote:
. Tony Curtis loathed her, called her the meanest woman in Hollywood

he was a drunkard. no wonder.

Sylkat wrote:
and said that kissing her (in'Some Like It Hot")was " like kissing Hitler"....
Sylkat

i never knew that curtis and hitler had a romantic relationship.

to be serious, if she did not like him then it is well that her kiss did not inspire him.
she always protested about having to fake things.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 11:26 am

She also had a crush on Albert Einstein.

Sylkat 8O

EmmaUK12
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 11:28 am

Sylkat wrote:
Miss Monroe had fame and glamour and wore expensive clothes and jewelry and perfume, but the house she died in was the only home she ever owned. I always thought that was odd for someone who was always looking for security and stability. Tony Curtis loathed her, called her the meanest woman in Hollywood, and said that kissing her (in'Some Like It Hot")was " like kissing Hitler".... He was Jewish, by the way.

Sylkat

That's odd seeing as he claimed to have slept with her on the set of SLIH.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 11:36 am

Sylkat wrote:
She also had a crush on Albert Einstein.

Sylkat 8O

maybe they had a lot in common.
she was not allowed to reveal anything that was counter to her hollywood image i believe.

her mistake may have been to kowtow to the people who promised her the greatest stardom.

her heart may have been in einsteins mind, but her aspiration was always to become a star.

it is sad.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 11:51 am

DeraUK12, I had not heard that claim by Curtis,hmmm, maybe he tried but she turned him down; he did think he was God's gift to women!

Dearb9, Curtis was not only an alcoholic, he had severe drug problems as well. In addition, I've never been convinced that the JFK thing was even an affair; I always thought It was only a few 'one night' occurrences.

Sylkat

Last edited by Sylkat on 25 Mar 2012, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 12:10 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
Meh. I don't like actresses, anyway, but I prefer the way Marilyn looked to the way Audrey looked. Audrey looked like a squirrel in chic clothing. Bettie Page I feel sort of sorry for (I do with Marilyn, a bit) what with the mental problems and everything.

I've never really been too interested in actors and actresses. More interested in musicians.

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I felt sorry for Marylin's health problems and such but I just don't get why so many people worship her, I see nothing there.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 12:13 pm

b9 wrote:
i developed a mild interest in her when i saw a documentary once which was about the "real marilyn monroe", and in that documentary there were clips of her in her real life that seemed impressive to me.
i went on to read about her.

from what i have read, marilyn monroe was required to play the part of a dumb blonde in real life to solidify her image as a dumb blonde in the movie roles she played. in the 1950's and early 1960's, women were admired mainly for their physical appearance, and her appeal was in the vein of "the beautiful clueless damsel".

most men wanted to be the pillar of support to beautiful but clueless damsels. they wanted to be the powerful and successful prince valiant's that provided those damsels with security.

but as far as i know, she had an IQ of 163, and she was far more intelligent than the people who idolized her for her "childish and beautiful simplicity".

there was much more to marilyn monroe than was revealed by her publicists.

apparently JFK had an IQ of 129, and she was able to "play him like a violin", and it may have been because of that, that he did not know what she gleaned from their conversations, and it may have been the reason she died.

she wanted to be a "star" above all else because she was ignored and neglected when she was a child. as it happened, she had a set of physical attributes that was tailor made for instant success (in that era), and she suppressed her intellect publicly in sacrifice to that success.

i believe that the private life of marilyn monroe was not the same as her public image.

She might of had that IQ but she sure didn't act like she had a high IQ. I thought IQ doesn't mean much anyway.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 1:11 pm

I read a book written about her by the last assistant she had. I think it was called something like "My Year With Marilyn" or something like that.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com