Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 2:01 pm

So my cat will most likely be put down later this afternoon. :? He's been acting weak and tired all week, and my family noticed he was kind of chubby all the sudden. Then apparently this morning my mom said he was even more tired and wouldn't budge to go anywhere, and that she could feel some sort of soft lump in his abdomen. We're hoping it's an infected growth from a snake bite, because if it is we can just give him antibiotics and it should heal that way, but if it requires surgery (like a tumor or his intestines are twisted), we won't be able to pay for it and have to put him down. So now my mom's off to the vet to find out what the deal is.

Did you lose any animals recently that you want to get off your chest?

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 2:26 pm

My cat had to be put down a couple of years ago. It happened in a very similar way to how you've described your situation. :(

Its kidneys were damaged too much to repair.

EmmaUK12
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 2:30 pm

I'm really sorry to hear that. We've had a few close calls with one of my cats (he is always ill) and i would be devestated if they had to be put down. My rabbit had to be put down after the neighbours cat attacked him.

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 3:20 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about your cat, that is so sad :(

I get more upset about animals dying than I do about people. I think the emotions involved when an animal dies are more straightforward somehow. My hamster died before Christmas and I am still upset. I know a hamster doesn't seem like a pet you could be really close to but I loved him and he made my happy. I've also lost two rabbits, one to old age and one when she gave birth. The worst thing was when my parents gave my rabbit away - I was an adult but I had nowhere else to go and my Dad thought if I didn't have her I would be less childish and go out and do things like other girls. That broke my heart.

I feel sad reading everyone's stories.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 3:30 pm

I am sorry to hear your friend is passing.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 3:48 pm

I am so sorry that you are going through this.
I know that you and your mother are feeling so bad right now; I know that you will make the kindest decision for him.

Sylkat

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 4:13 pm

Thank you for the kind responses. I'm actually not as upset about this as I thought i'd be. I guess it's because I've had a lot of close calls with family members going that I could care a little less about my pets. I still care a lot though.

My mom actually just returned from the vet. They scanned him, and they aren't sure if it's a really bad hernia, or if it's an infection with Peritonitis (an abdomen inflammation that leads to the failure of digestive organs). If it's a hernia or just a growth then they can fix it, but if it's peritonitis they'll put him down, because it's incurable in cats.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 4:53 pm

Sweet Pea hugsImage

I'm sorry to hear about your cat. I hope that it's just a growth that can be removed and that your cat won't have to be put down. :(

Moonhawk
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 12:49 am

I hope they can fix your cat :o The first cat we lost was Bono, he had a seizure and he tried to move around whil dragging his legs, it was heartbreaking to see and we had to put him down, and his brother eventually died in his sleep because he got very lonely without Bono, his name was Rodie by the way :x And i had a hamster called Hammie, he died at the age of 5 o_o I loved that hamster!

I wish you good luck with your cat, and i know what its like to have close calls with family, well in some cases for me they were more then close calls, but i just wanted you to know that i understand, i'll shut up now :x *waves*

HK416N
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 May 2012, 2:53 am

:(

Tomasu
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 4:13 am

I am very sorry for your friend USMCnBNSFdude. I do hope that he may recover happily.