The odd hen out, or: Is this chick autistic?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 6:03 am

A Chinese hen waddles upright like a penguin and is ostracized by her fellow poultry people as a result.

austriantimes wrote:
Farmer Lu Xi said that he got the confused bird as a chick - but instead of scratching in the ground and flying up to a perch to roost at night - Mumble walks around the coop just like a penguin waddling from side to side.

http://austriantimes.at/image/16920/new ... in_Chicken
metro wrote:
The identity crisis sadly means that the hen is rather lonely - Liu says that 'other chickens must think she is a freak, as no one will get close to her.'
'In the night all the chickens will fly up to the roof of the chicken house, leaving only her on the ground,' he adds.

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/836650-the ... -a-penguin

This might be the chicken equivalent of toe walking :) I'm a bit disappointed that all news outlets which covered this story wrote that Mumble is confused, crazy, or suffering from an identity crisis. I think that she's simply doing what feels natural to her. One article mentions that Mumble is flightless because her wings are unusually small, which suggests that there are other anatomical anomalies too (and perhaps some neurological ones as well).

Anyway, it's reassuring to know that these things do not only happen to humans. Stand tall and proud, Mumble :) Don't let anybody tell you that you're doing it wrong.

Last edited by CrazyCatLord on 17 May 2012, 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

EmmaUK12
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 6:05 am

Mumble, be proud of who you are!

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 5:59 pm

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 1:23 am

Seems more likely to be the result of a medical issue or anatomical deformity... Very interesting though.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 3:19 am

I suspect fowl play.