Picture the following - psychologist with tattoo (bad?)

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Would you go to a psychologist who looked like that?
No 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Yes 80%  80%  [ 12 ]
Yes, but would be skeptical 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 15

psychegots
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 May 2012, 7:57 am

You walk into your psychologists office for your first appointment. He is wearing sneakers, black jeans and a common long-sleeve shirt. He also have a tattoo similar to this on his right hand (Just the rose not the numbers):

And ears similar to these:

What are your thoughts?

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 8:43 am

I'd think that could be a good thing as it makes them seem like they are more likely to be open minded about people being different.

Guybrush_Threepwood
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 9:05 am

I don't think that having tattoos means the guy won't be an incredibly capable professional. Having said that, I would passively sound the guy out to determine if I could score LSD off him...I've always wanted to try it...

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 9:43 am

Older people might be a bit uncomfortable with it at first, but the younger people will probably relax around you more thinking you won't be the stereotypical (rigid) shrink.

I have a couple of colleagues (psychs obviously) at work who have visible tatts and it's not usually a problem.

The only reason I could see it being a problem is when you are going for a new job - some recruiters are really picking about things like visible tatts and piercings.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 10:18 am

hanyo wrote:
I'd think that could be a good thing as it makes them seem like they are more likely to be open minded about people being different.

exactly what I thought

psychegots
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 May 2012, 12:28 pm

Guybrush_Threepwood wrote:
I don't think that having tattoos means the guy won't be an incredibly capable professional. Having said that, I would passively sound the guy out to determine if I could score LSD off him...I've always wanted to try it...

Haha what?! I take it this was a way of stating that you would not find such an individual professional/trust-worthy? Or? I'm not sure haha!

Kjas wrote:
Older people might be a bit uncomfortable with it at first, but the younger people will probably relax around you more thinking you won't be the stereotypical (rigid) shrink.

This is what I was thinking, but I was not sure if I just fooled myself since I really want a tattoo on the hand (already have a sleeve, but that is easy to cover up). I want to have my own practice, but you need some work experience first so I can't make myself totally unemployable!

psychegots
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 May 2012, 3:57 am

Bump.

Guybrush_Threepwood
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 4:57 am

psychegots wrote:

Haha what?! I take it this was a way of stating that you would not find such an individual professional/trust-worthy? Or? I'm not sure haha!

Hehe...what I mean is, I would perceive the guy at first sight as being a psychologist that is a little worldly and open minded...but other observations would need to correlate for me to think he was open to discussing alternative therapies...such as LSD administration. Therapy was one of the first applications for the drug. If I feel disconnected from my full emotional self, perhaps it would help. I've known doctors that could be steered in interesting directions, and I've procured some very helpful drugs at little or no cost on quite a few occasions. If you want to know other people's opinions on whether he can be a capable psychologist and have highly visible ink, then I think the answer is yes. If you want to know what impression this would initially give people, I think it would be limited to thinking that this guy might potentially have an interesting story or two to tell. Tattoos aren't a big deal anymore...

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 5:31 am

I'm much more interested in credentials and experience. I don't care what he or she looks like.

tuffy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 May 2012, 6:29 am

Lots of people have ugly tattoos and piercing these days. It might be distracting, but it's no indicator of unprofessional behavior.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 6:57 am

I'd just think to myself, "a try hard". Which kinda means...a person caught up in the social game and they're trying to be "in".

J4mes
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 May 2012, 7:00 am

Personally I wouldn't apply BS stereotypes, and I might actually be friendlier with him because he doesn't either.

Come on now, it's 2012 not 1912.

psychegots
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 May 2012, 2:34 am

psychegots wrote:

Hehe...what I mean is, I would perceive the guy at first sight as being a psychologist that is a little worldly and open minded...but other observations would need to correlate for me to think he was open to discussing alternative therapies...such as LSD administration. Therapy was one of the first applications for the drug. If I feel disconnected from my full emotional self, perhaps it would help. I've known doctors that could be steered in interesting directions, and I've procured some very helpful drugs at little or no cost on quite a few occasions. If you want to know other people's opinions on whether he can be a capable psychologist and have highly visible ink, then I think the answer is yes. If you want to know what impression this would initially give people, I think it would be limited to thinking that this guy might potentially have an interesting story or two to tell. Tattoos aren't a big deal anymore...

Oh, I did not know that LSD could be prescribed. Thanks for explaining. I'm considering getting a hand tattoo that is why I'm asking people. Interesting thing though; when someone asked a similar (not that specific) about tattoos and getting a job on a Norwegian forum most people thought it wasn't a problem. But a lot of those who thought it was a problem said that they would not do it as tattoos still are a big deal in a lot of other countries (and they would not sacrifice the opportunity to work abroad). But you guys here seems to be at least as accepting.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 2:53 am

I'd assume he's blessed with self employment/his own psych practice and so has the freedom to do stuff like that to his body.

psychegots
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 May 2012, 1:43 pm

blue_bean wrote:
I'd assume he's blessed with self employment/his own psych practice and so has the freedom to do stuff like that to his body.

A fair assumption indeed. :lol:

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 3:24 pm

I don't think it matters if the psychologist has a tattoo or piercings its the person itself that counts.