Are you good at imitating accents?

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 1:02 pm

SpiritBlooms wrote:
I tend to pick them up without trying to, if I'm around people who speak with strong accents that I like for a while. It's kind of embarrassing sometimes. I worry they'll think I'm mocking them. I have to like the accent, though, so I guess I just listen so closely that I start to mimic it without trying.

I do that too! When I worked in a bookstore, a man came in and asked me, "Do you carreh the Oxfahd Ahmeruhcayun?" (carry the Oxford American)
I said, "Wah, yayus." (Why, yes.)
Then I thought, "Oh, great. Now I'll have to remember to talk like that every time I wait on him. :roll:

I can do a pretty good French accent because I learned a couple of operas when I was a little. But when I try to do any other European language, I sound like a French person speaking it. I never really developed a strong regional accent. People used to ask my mother why I "talked funny".

CanisMajor
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jun 2012, 1:11 pm

I'm very good with accents. Linguistics, including learning new sounds (ones that aren't used in English), is one of my obsessions, though. I've read so many books where they say that after a certain cut-off age (around 17-18), people can no longer even hear new strange sounds, let alone imitate them (which is why adults learning a new language tend to have accents, while children learning the same language don't.) But... I never had a problem hearing a new sound or picking up an accent, even as an adult. I still notice subtle little differences in dialect, including when it's not my native language! (My boyfriend was raised in a bilingual English/Spanish household, and I can tell his Spanish is slightly awkward. I end up correcting him sometimes.)

I only started learning Spanish as a teenager, but native Spanish-speakers often mistake me for Argentinian when I talk. My accent is excellent, but apparently I "sing" my words (which is how Argentinians speak), but I don't realize that I'm doing it. I wonder if that has to do with Aspies having trouble noticing/regulating their tone/pitch? I used to have a huge problem with that as a kid (and sometimes even today.)

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 1:16 pm

I can do German accent in english real good!! haha :) other than that I suck

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jun 2012, 1:41 pm

I wouldn't say I'm good at it no, but that doesn't stop me from involuntarily doing it All. The. Time.

Lately it's been a Korean accent.

Phuc Mei, Ratz rotsa raffs. No phunny phunny in Norf Koree-eer!

I know it's bad... but people still laugh... *hangs head in shame

If there was a hell, and I believed in such hokum, I'll be going there.

CanisMajor
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jun 2012, 2:31 pm

MarthaCannary wrote:
I wouldn't say I'm good at it no, but that doesn't stop me from involuntarily doing it All. The. Time.

Lately it's been a Korean accent.

Phuc Mei, Ratz rotsa raffs. No phunny phunny in Norf Koree-eer!

I know it's bad... but people still laugh... *hangs head in shame

If there was a hell, and I believed in such hokum, I'll be going there.

You are welcome to join my handbasket for the ride there. It's really quite comfy. It's also stocked with board games and a mini-bar! :D

One time when I was walking down the boardwalk in the summer with a friend, I intentionally spoke with a very thick French accent every time we passed by game booths. That way, if they tried to call out to me to join their game (and waste my money), I could ignore them or say, "Je ne parle pas l'anglais!" and keep walking...

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 3:19 pm

I can do Irish or German accsent.

joannaaleksandra
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jun 2012, 3:52 pm

My voice is flat and lacks any accent.