Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 9:37 am

What's your favorite yarn/fiber? What do you like to knit? How did you learn how? Do you finish things before moving on or do you have 10 projects going at once? What's your least favorite thing to knit?

I love lace-weight silk. I like to knit shawls, stoles, gloves. I taught myself out of a book. I have many projects going at once. I HATE knitting socks and sweater sleevezzzzzzz...

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 11:40 am

im no expert but i do like to knit. my grans sister taught me when i was in primary school. i do tend to finish each knitting project before moving on to the next but that is only because i have one set of needles. i procrastinate during projects by moving on to embroidery and coss stitch. i have to date knitted scarves, a doll and doll hats. i intend to make fingerless gloves and maybe a "my neighbour totaro" hat. i do not know how to do any of this. i also wish to teach myself how to chevron and do stripes. i am a novice. i want a poncho too.

CanisMajor
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jun 2012, 2:58 pm

I'm trying to learn. I'd been trying on and off since middle school, but I just can't follow the picture instructions that every "Learn to Knit!" kit comes with. I just look at two separate picture and think, "Okay, so how the hell did that become that?" I can't tell the direction each string in coming from, where it was before, etc. This latest kit came with a video, but you know what? The person instructing in it seems like every other person that tries to "instruct" in a video- they act like they're racing to knit as fast as they can. Hello? Does nobody remember when they first learned to knit? You have to go very slowly so I can see where each string is going. The worst part is, that video is in a weird format, so when I put the disk into my computer, I can't even click back to an earlier part, let alone slow the video down.

I found a good video online done by one girl who is a novice, herself. I forget the link, but she was young and I think she was Asian. Her videos went nice and slowly, repeating essential steps several times (probably because, being a newbie herself, she understands that slow videos that repeat steps until we understand are what we need!) Unfortunately, she didn't know how to do a Continental knit. From what I've seen, Continental-style is a lot quicker and doesn't hurt your hands as much because you don't have to move them a lot. I would love to have a slow video done the way she does it, showing how to do a Continental knit... but I haven't been able to find one. Due to that, I've given up trying to knit... yet again. It's just too hard, and it seems like most people naturally pick it up, whereas I struggle with it. (Which likely isn't true, but considering the way newbies are treated, it sure feels like it.) :?

joannaaleksandra
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jun 2012, 3:37 pm

I used to knit.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 3:40 pm

CanisMajor wrote:
It's just too hard, and it seems like most people naturally pick it up, whereas I struggle with it. (Which likely isn't true, but considering the way newbies are treated, it sure feels like it.) :?

I had a really hard time getting used to holding the needles and then when I finally got past that problem I thought it was copacetic, then I encountered an instruction TBL, which is through the back loop. I was always knitting through the back loop, so I wondered about that. Then I read an article about casting on and found out I'd been doing it wrong for two years and was knitting backwards. :oops: That's why all my stitches were twisted!