Is laziness a hidden form of aggression and fury?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 1:56 pm

It's a stupid question I'm asking and I might be completely wrong, but something tells me it is...

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 2:21 pm

Could be in my case.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 2:54 pm

it can be.

Or it could be that you're overwhelmed with so much crap to do in your real life, and so you end up wasting time online yakking with folks on Wrong Planet to avoid thinking about it all.

Never happens to ME ofcourse!

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 4:26 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
it can be.

Or it could be that you're overwhelmed with so much crap to do in your real life, and so you end up wasting time online yakking with folks on Wrong Planet to avoid thinking about it all.

Never happens to ME ofcourse!

Me neither. :P

Azereiah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jun 2012, 6:33 pm

Laziness is just not wanting to do something and choosing not to, despite the consequences, and the requirements for clean and healthy living.

Passive aggression is more like avoiding things to spite somebody.

Zinia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jun 2012, 6:36 pm

Yeah--I agree with the above about passive aggressive.

But it would be cool if laziness was the expression of fury and aggression. Wars would look a lot different then. :)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Jun 2012, 6:39 pm

Azereiah wrote:
Laziness is just not wanting to do something and choosing not to, despite the consequences, and the requirements for clean and healthy living.

Passive aggression is more like avoiding things to spite somebody.

In my case laziness is when I don't do something others think I should because I'm caught up in doing something & I don't see the practical purpose for me to do it when they suddenly decide they want it done that minute.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 7:08 pm

Laziness is generally a symptom of something bigger so yes it can be a hidden form of aggression and fury, I guess.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 9:09 am

Laziness doesn't exist.

The term 'lazy' is usually used as an insult when one person is trying to manipulate another person into doing something and fails.

For example when an employer offers a person one dollar an hour to do hard physical labour and the person refuses, the employer decides that person is 'lazy'.

When a parent demands a child tidies up their room and the child refuses, the parent accuses the child of laziness.

In reality, laziness is just one person making a calculation that the rewards for making the effort don't justify the cost of exertion to accomplish the task.

If the employer offered 100 bucks an hour instead of 1 buck an hour, that person would suddenly become highly motivated even though the exertion required has not changed, only the reward.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 1:47 pm

DC wrote:
Laziness doesn't exist.

The term 'lazy' is usually used as an insult when one person is trying to manipulate another person into doing something and fails.

For example when an employer offers a person one dollar an hour to do hard physical labour and the person refuses, the employer decides that person is 'lazy'.

When a parent demands a child tidies up their room and the child refuses, the parent accuses the child of laziness.

In reality, laziness is just one person making a calculation that the rewards for making the effort don't justify the cost of exertion to accomplish the task.

If the employer offered 100 bucks an hour instead of 1 buck an hour, that person would suddenly become highly motivated even though the exertion required has not changed, only the reward.

Or it could be someone who has a bad work ethic. For example an employee who's well paid manipulates others to do the job he's getting paid to do so he can goof off

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 2:40 pm

Sometimes I wonder if people truly can't help being lazy. I know it's not just something I can just stop doing and bam I am no longer lazy. It would take willpower and lot of it. My husband acts like it's just something I can just quit doing just like that as if I can just turn it off.

But if laziness is just something people can help doing, then maybe I have something going on that is making me be lazy. But if people truly have a hard time with it, does that mean they have executive dysfunction? I even read that normal people tend to procrastinate and it's hard for them to get motivated to do it. Does that mean they have ED?

Then sometimes I wonder if it doesn't really exist. Lazy is just something we don't do because we don't feel like it or because we will do it later and what's wrong with being lazy? It's only bad if it effects people around you like if you refuse to take your bowl to the sink or you refuse to hang up your coat or wipe the crumbs off the counter or you leave your garbage all over because you will not throw it away and no one should have to put up with that stuff. Same as if you don't want to work because you would rather be home and play on the computer all day long and all your room mates have to pay part of your rent and give you their food. But if you are just watching TV and you are done with your plate and you refuse to bring it to the kitchen right now because you will do it later when you are through, that is okay. If it bothers someone so much you are not doing it now, then they can do it themselves. I admit I forced my first ex to do it now because I knew he would forget later and never do it so I had to make him do it. Even if I remind him to do it, still won't do it so it had to be forced.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

NoGirl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Jun 2012, 6:46 pm

(In my opinion) it can be, I guess, but I don't believe that's all it is. I've always thought it's often apathy.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 12:53 am

nick007 wrote:
DC wrote:
Laziness doesn't exist.

Or it could be someone who has a bad work ethic. For example an employee who's well paid manipulates others to do the job he's getting paid to do so he can goof off

We are animals and we all have an inbuilt tendency to attempt to get the most reward for the least effort, i.e. to maximise our efficiency, even bacteria and fungi display these traits. If you don't do this then you die when resources are scarce.

If you can get the same reward for less effort by manipulating someone, it makes perfect evolutionary sense for that you to do so.

Not saying that I approve of that sort of thing in a civilised society, I'm just saying there is a good reason why we act that way.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 2:15 am

DC wrote:
nick007 wrote:
DC wrote:
Laziness doesn't exist.

We are animals and we all have an inbuilt tendency to attempt to get the most reward for the least effort, i.e. to maximise our efficiency, even bacteria and fungi display these traits. If you don't do this then you die when resources are scarce.

If you can get the same reward for less effort by manipulating someone, it makes perfect evolutionary sense for that you to do so.

Not saying that I approve of that sort of thing in a civilised society, I'm just saying there is a good reason why we act that way.

Why do some people work harder at trying to manipulate or cheat others with little success than trying to do a fairly easy job they could make good money with? I worked with some who work harder at avoiding work than what doing the actual work would take

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 3:36 am

nick007 wrote:
I worked with some who work harder at avoiding work than what doing the actual work would take

i suppose it's the spirit of the thing. :wink:

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 4:24 am

If the laziness is in spite of someone, yes in a way, but it'd be called contrary, not aggressive.

Most aggression involves some kind of exertion or effort.