Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 7:08 pm

I observe people using "lol" in posts.
What is the meaning of that?

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 7:16 pm

laughing out loud

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 7:22 pm

So it means you laugh about something you have been writing yourself or something someone has been writing or an event you have been obseving?
Thank you for replying.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 7:35 pm

Eloa wrote:
So it means you laugh about something you have been writing yourself or something someone has been writing or an event you have been obseving?
Thank you for replying.

Yes. Sometimes I also use it because it may be difficult for the reader to know if I am serious or not just based on reading, and literally interpreting, what I have written.

FYI (For your information) ROFL means rolling on floor laughing. That is for those times when someone writes or says something that literally has you belly laughing when you read it.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 7:40 pm

Does "lol" equal this ---> :D smiley?
Often I cannot tell the context between a text and a smiley in it.
Then I do not know if the text is meant seriously or not or if it is irony (especially :D, :), :o, :?, 8) :lol:, :P, :twisted:, :roll:, :wink:).
:wink: works sometimes. :roll: too.
But in non-autistic forums they use even more of this and they are animated and the text with those smilies itself is giving visual overload and I cannot find the meaning oftentimes.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 7:45 pm

InThisTogether wrote:
Eloa wrote:
Thank you for replying.

Yes. Sometimes I also use it because it may be difficult for the reader to know if I am serious or not just based on reading, and literally interpreting, what I have written.

FYI (For your information) ROFL means rolling on floor laughing. That is for those times when someone writes or says something that literally has you belly laughing when you read it.

So it means "irony" somehow?
Thank you for "FYI" and "ROFL". "ROFL" means more than "lol"?
Higher in intensity, I guess?

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 7:59 pm

Eloa wrote:
InThisTogether wrote:
Eloa wrote:
Thank you for replying.

Yes, I think ROFL is used for more intense laughter...I use LOL when I think something is funny, and use ROFL when I find something REALLY funny. :)

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 7:59 pm

Eloa wrote:

I don't know if "irony" would be the exact right word.

An example might be this: today I had a pretty crappy day at work. There are some people in my organization who seem pretty h*ll bent on making me miserable enough to quit (I am part of change that they do not want to see). So, I emailed my boss a summary of what happened and told her that "after today, I really have no choice but to quit LOL!" If I wouldn't have added the LOL, she might think I meant to quit.

Yes, ROFL is more than LOL, IMHO (In my humble opinion).

I have never been really good with emoticons. I much preferred the day when you would just type <grin> or <rolls eyes> or <insert sarcasm> in text.

Shellfish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Aug 2012, 8:04 pm

Some people also use it as an abbreviation for 'Lots of Love' but that would usually be an email or text presumably

nrau
Toucan
Toucan

09 Aug 2012, 8:04 pm

new to internet?
how about you go to a random chatroom and see how it works for yourself?

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 8:13 pm

nrau wrote:
new to internet?

Why would you be rude and mean to someone who is asking a simple question? I can imagine learning internet jargon could be extra difficult for someone who is not a native English speaker.

You always have the option of not joining a conversation you are not interested in.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 8:16 pm

It's short for "laughing out loud", but it doesn't necessarily mean you are actually laughing. It just means you find something funny. Most people don't laugh when they are by themselves, because laughter is contagious. Aspies might be different, I don't know; I've certainly laughed when I'm by myself, but even I tend to laugh more when there are people around who are also laughing.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

nrau
Toucan
Toucan

09 Aug 2012, 8:16 pm

InThisTogether wrote:
nrau wrote:
new to internet?

Why would you be rude and mean to someone who is asking a simple question? I can imagine learning internet jargon could be extra difficult for someone who is not a native English speaker.

You always have the option of not joining a conversation you are not interested in.

Rude? are you over-sensitive or something?
I'm giving him a sincere advice. Instead of discussing it like that, he should go and see how it works for himself.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 8:19 pm

Thank you all for replying.

InThisTogether wrote:
Eloa wrote:

I don't know if "irony" would be the exact right word.

An example might be this: today I had a pretty crappy day at work. There are some people in my organization who seem pretty h*ll bent on making me miserable enough to quit (I am part of change that they do not want to see). So, I emailed my boss a summary of what happened and told her that "after today, I really have no choice but to quit LOL!" If I wouldn't have added the LOL, she might think I meant to quit.

Ok, so you write you want to quit but with "lol" means that you don't want to quit.

Yes, ROFL is more than LOL, IMHO (In my humble opinion).

Thank you.

I have never been really good with emoticons. I much preferred the day when you would just type <grin> or <rolls eyes> or <insert sarcasm> in text.

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 8:22 pm

InThisTogether wrote:
That's exactly why I use it. I also use it when I'm laughing in reaction to something, without any further response to it.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNjuB4 ... WnSA552Xjg

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 8:29 pm

Callista wrote:
It's short for "laughing out loud", but it doesn't necessarily mean you are actually laughing. It just means you find something funny. Most people don't laugh when they are by themselves, because laughter is contagious. Aspies might be different, I don't know; I've certainly laughed when I'm by myself, but even I tend to laugh more when there are people around who are also laughing.

Thank you.
I can laugh being at myself. I guess it is because I have a vivid picture-based mind and I just can re-live situations which have been funny or my own funniness in my mind occuring. I don't know about laughing more with people around because I often miss their humor or they mine. Sometimes people are laughing and I don't know why and even after explanation I still don't find the funny part in it. I laugh a lot when my brother is around, because his humor is very visually thinking as well.