If you keep a journal, how do you keep it interesting?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Lorraine495
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2015, 6:51 am

Perhaps this is a dumb question, and I love the style of the old reflective essays of Whitman and Emerson but I can't write like those men. Something about the art of journaling is elusive to me. I wouldn't want to write narcissistic drivel. Whitman and Emerson made it educational in style but they were renowned scholars during their time.

For those who journal how do you keep it interesting? Did any other books influence your style? Do you have a topic or theme? Is it daily, weekly or monthly, etc. Whatever you care to share.

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 7:07 am

I keep an irregular journal, often going for quite long periods without making any entries. If I don't feel I have much original to say, then I don't write in it. In that way I manage to keep it interesting - although exactly how interesting isn't really for me to judge.

If you force yourself to write something every day, it risks becoming dull and repetitive. We all have periods of inspiration, as well as times when our imagination lies fallow.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 11:15 am

My online journal is in my signature. I don't write every day though, only when the mood takes me. I'd say about once or twice a month has been my average. It'd be uninteresting if I did write relatively the same thing day after day.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 1:34 pm

Live a more interesting life than before. So you have something interesting TO journal.

That might be why many folks keep journals- to compel themselves to do stuff.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 2:24 pm

I don't attempt to. I write what's on my mind so I can reference it later. Most of it never gets read again, though. If I wanted interesting, I'd write a novel or something.

Sounds like your goals are different, though.