franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 5:13 pm

hey, just wondering if anyone else has this problem :?:

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

24 Jan 2013, 5:24 pm

Fear of vomiting? Me? Nah.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 5:31 pm

I do, and I know that several other posters have mentioned they have it... Normally I'd elaborate on how I got it, but I'll save that for a later time. Just wanted to say, I know what that's like.

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 5:31 pm

hmm i wish i did not have it, can cause a load of anxiety that makes not sense whatsoever. :D

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 5:32 pm

you know how you got it then, i never really worked out how mine started, i cant pinpoint it to a time, i dont think it was related to a sickness incident.

Jitro
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 7:27 pm

No, I don't have fear of such. I don't like vomiting though. Who does?

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 3:09 pm

franknfurter wrote:
you know how you got it then, i never really worked out how mine started, i cant pinpoint it to a time, i dont think it was related to a sickness incident.

All right, I'll explain it. When I was about 14 years old, I came down with a very strong stomach flu that lasted for 2 weeks or so. During the course of this flu, I spent one particular day just vomiting uncontrollably to the point where I couldn't even sleep because the nausea and vomiting kept me awake. Obviously, my stomach was empty after a while, so after that, I was just throwing up mucus and stomach acid. I felt sick and exhausted (because I couldn't sleep) and also scared. The next day, I managed to get some rest/sleep, but the sleep was accompanied by nightmares and I had a headache/nausea when I woke up. I recovered from this sickness, but ever since, I haven't been able to actually vomit without entering a funk or a panic. In the years before I had this big flu, I would sometimes be sick and nauseous, and just throw up, and it wouldn't feel nice, but it wasn't that terrible, either. Nowadays, whenever I get nauseous for whatever reason to the point of needing to throw up, I can't react normally to it. I panic, my body enters cramps, I start crying and panicking, I get locked in this mental spiral of thinking it won't pass over, and needing to dsitract my thoughts from it to prevent throwing up, which doesn't always work. Thankfully, I don't actually catch an illness that often, except for maybe the common cold. But whenever I do get a stomach flu, it's panic time.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 5:20 am

Glad I don't have this. Helps me to get over the stomach flu faster.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 7:25 am

I should mention that I don't have it to the point where I can't even bear to look at other people vomiting or retching (either in front of me or on the TV)... but there is a clear element of irrational fear toward the idea/prospect of vomiting + the reaction to actually vomiting that puts me in a bad place.

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 7:54 am

CyclopsSummers wrote:
franknfurter wrote:

All right, I'll explain it. When I was about 14 years old, I came down with a very strong stomach flu that lasted for 2 weeks or so. During the course of this flu, I spent one particular day just vomiting uncontrollably to the point where I couldn't even sleep because the nausea and vomiting kept me awake. Obviously, my stomach was empty after a while, so after that, I was just throwing up mucus and stomach acid. I felt sick and exhausted (because I couldn't sleep) and also scared. The next day, I managed to get some rest/sleep, but the sleep was accompanied by nightmares and I had a headache/nausea when I woke up. I recovered from this sickness, but ever since, I haven't been able to actually vomit without entering a funk or a panic. In the years before I had this big flu, I would sometimes be sick and nauseous, and just throw up, and it wouldn't feel nice, but it wasn't that terrible, either. Nowadays, whenever I get nauseous for whatever reason to the point of needing to throw up, I can't react normally to it. I panic, my body enters cramps, I start crying and panicking, I get locked in this mental spiral of thinking it won't pass over, and needing to dsitract my thoughts from it to prevent throwing up, which doesn't always work. Thankfully, I don't actually catch an illness that often, except for maybe the common cold. But whenever I do get a stomach flu, it's panic time.

yes i can relate to that panic feeling, I cant imagine going through 2 weeks of that, i think i would honestly not want to live, of course thats a stupid thing to say really, but none of its rational, i think the worst thing is knowing logically that there is nothing wrong with it and still having panic attacks and wanting to die when it does occur.

DialAForAwesome
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 8:28 pm

Yes, I have this fear really, really bad. I can't even hear somebody gagging; it just sets me off and makes my panic reflex go haywire. The last time this happened was a few days ago, this little kid at work kept coughing and gagging, and one girl I work with said "I think he's gonna barf!" Luckily when he DID throw up, his mom caught it in a paper towel and threw it away and washed her hands, so that I didn't have to see it or clean it up. When someone gags I immediately get a terrible chill up my spine and start shaking. It gets worse when the person actually does get sick, because the memory is etched in my mind for days afterward, and drives me into depression.

I can trace my phobia back to being 3 years old. I swallowed a marble, and my mom held me upside down until I puked it back up. It was a terrible experience. Then about 5 or 6 years later, I got the stomach flu, and it was about as bad as what CockneyRebel described. After that passed, I had a terrible time where I got paranoid that it would happen again, so I did everything I could to keep my immune system up. It worked, and I didn't throw up again until 8 years later, after becoming dehydrated from riding too many amusement rides in a row. I threw up (it was pretty much all water) and it really freaked me out, so much so that when I got home I locked myself in my room for 2 days. Ever since then, I can't even go on an amusement ride without thinking of that incident and becoming nauseous.

Can't watch people do it on the TV either. That scene from Big Daddy where the kid gets sick is one that I have to fast-forward over.

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 7:58 am

DialAForAwesome wrote:
Yes, I have this fear really, really bad. I can't even hear somebody gagging; it just sets me off and makes my panic reflex go haywire. The last time this happened was a few days ago, this little kid at work kept coughing and gagging, and one girl I work with said "I think he's gonna barf!" Luckily when he DID throw up, his mom caught it in a paper towel and threw it away and washed her hands, so that I didn't have to see it or clean it up. When someone gags I immediately get a terrible chill up my spine and start shaking. It gets worse when the person actually does get sick, because the memory is etched in my mind for days afterward, and drives me into depression.

I can trace my phobia back to being 3 years old. I swallowed a marble, and my mom held me upside down until I puked it back up. It was a terrible experience. Then about 5 or 6 years later, I got the stomach flu, and it was about as bad as what CockneyRebel described. After that passed, I had a terrible time where I got paranoid that it would happen again, so I did everything I could to keep my immune system up. It worked, and I didn't throw up again until 8 years later, after becoming dehydrated from riding too many amusement rides in a row. I threw up (it was pretty much all water) and it really freaked me out, so much so that when I got home I locked myself in my room for 2 days. Ever since then, I can't even go on an amusement ride without thinking of that incident and becoming nauseous.

Can't watch people do it on the TV either. That scene from Big Daddy where the kid gets sick is one that I have to fast-forward over.

yeah yours is about on the same level as mine, i hate it, i was off college for about a year, the phobia turned quite quickly into a fear of going out, CBT helped loades, and i am now back at college, i think having panic attacks is the worst, its so embarrassing but when you are panicking you dont care what you are doing really.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 8:37 am

I had it bad as a kid, from having poisoned myself accidentally with my grandmother's pills at age 2 and having to drink emetics because I was too small to have my stomach pumped. At least I'm guessing that's where it came from. I don't actually have any memory of the event except climbing on top of the refrigerator and eating the pills, which I was convinced were candy even though they tasted awful.

Ironically, an intense bout of vomiting after eating bad food cured me of the phobia. Still not my favorite thing to do, though.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 8:43 am

One of my kids would attempt to hold back vomit, just didn't want to let it happen, every time they'd have flu we'd have to encourage, "relax, just let it out."

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 5:22 pm

Maybe on a subconscious level? I haven't thrown up since the evening of November 23,1997. (I only recall the date because it was such an unusual event--I so rarely throw up).

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 4:22 pm

I have Emetophobia, and I can't cope with it, especially when I hear about the dreaded norovirus. But I think the worst thing about the norovirus is a lot of people don't realise that it can still be contagious even after you have finished with throwing up after about a day, and they think they are better and decide to go out and mix with other people, and not realising that they are still carrying the virus and then increase the chances of giving it to other people.

But then I hear different things about the norovirus. Some say it's contagious before you get it, others say it's not contagious until you have it, and others say if you don't catch it off someone within the next 24 hours after they have last thrown up then you most probably haven't caught it, so I don't really know which to believe. I don't think no-one knows really. If all these things were true then everybody would be getting it every other week.

But it seems that people with Emetophobia pick it up less than people without. My mum is an Emetophobe, and also my dad is too, but my brother doesn't worry about throwing up at all, so I am worrying about him bringing it home one day and giving it to all of us. Hopefully I still would be able to fight it but being under the same roof as someone who has this nasty norovirus really fills me with fear.

I really do wish it was physically impossible for a human to be sick. It is the worst feeling in the world. I'm like an aerobic when I be sick; I stand with my knees straight but the top half of my body bends right down to the point where my nose almost touches my knees. And yet if I was to try to do that when not sick, I wouldn't be able to do it. :lol: But when I be sick, my mind kind of disconnects from my body, so I can't think to bend my knees or kneel down in order to not strain my stomach. And because I have such an intense fear of throwing up, if I was in a situation where I feel I am about to throw up, I just stand there fighting it off so carefully that I don't move a muscle in order to successfully complete the process, and it always works!