Do you hate to be close to someone when they're smoking?

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jitro
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2013, 11:26 pm

Do you hate to be close to someone when they're smoking?

Blasty
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2013, 11:53 pm

I really don't care. Second hand smoke is not the evil killer that everyone makes it out to be.

I assume you mean outdoors, as smoking has been banned indoors in most locations. I hate to see now that people who want to enjoy a smoke outside are being segregated into designated areas. If you are outside, there is no harm done. A whiff of smoke outside is not going to hurt a person in the least.

noxnocturne
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2013, 12:10 am

I hate it with a passion. :evil:

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2013, 12:48 am

If you blasted a big fart at someone they'd be offended by the rudeness of inflicting an icky odour on them.

Why is smoking not considered every bit as rude?

The odour is stronger still - I've never smelled a fart coming from the car in front of me, unlike cigs.
A fart doesn't stick to someone's hair and skin for hours.
No fart ever stained skin and teeth... perhaps a few skivvies though.
No fart ever put someone in the hospital for allergies.
No fart ever caused cancer from repeat exposure.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2013, 1:06 am

It's not only about health, but also the smell itself. The smell is disgusting. So whether it's indoors or outdoors, I don't want a smoker around. But there are many smokers (usually trashy ones) that don't care and start smoking even in smoke-free areas. Their attitude as well as the smoke itself is disgusting.

Question14
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Feb 2013, 3:20 am

Can't stand it. I consider it a insult if the person knows I'm anti-smoke. The thing is, even if second hand smoke is not a big risk, its a risk anyhow which I will not take.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2013, 6:34 pm

I can't stand it when I'm at the bus stop and someone comes up and starts smoking I have to move away from them then. :evil:

Sylvastor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2013, 7:15 pm

I absolutely can't stand it, the smell is killing my nose, I usually try to keep distance to such people.
Sadly, my neighbour is a smoker. When I open my window, there is a high chance I'm going to smell that instead of "fresh" air (can't even really talk about fresh air in this city, nothing compared to mountains in Austria for example, every breath here tickles in the nose :roll:)... I have been raging a lot whenever that smell got into my room through the window because then I have a hard time getting rid of it. :?
Luckily, the temperatures are cold right now, so I don't feel the need to have an open window and even if I open it, my neighbour doesn't feel the need to smoke in the cold. :lol:

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 6:24 am

Smoking is one of the last offensive smells out there.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 6:43 am

I just don't like being close to people.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 6:49 am

Dillogic wrote:
I just don't like being close to people.

Truest statement since a statement about MUSIC.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 8:20 am

I hate it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 10:09 am

Yes. I don't want to smell like smoke and I don't want to breath it. Bad for you.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Feb 2013, 10:14 am

With all due respect to Blasty, as he and I have always agreed 100% on things... I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke; indoors or out. In fact, if I'm driving down the street behind another car in which someone is smoking, I have to change lanes or pass. My wife and I sometimes have to look at a dozen rental cars when we need to get one, before finding one I can get into; EVEN when they're all "nonsmoking". Many of them have cigarette smell in the interior anyway, because some wise guy thinks "nobody'll smell one cigarette"... Not true! I do. I'm abnormally sensitive to it, and that's a handicap at times. It's not fun, and I sure don't feel this way in order to be difficult or to insult anyone. I don't wish hardship or inconvenience on anyone who wants to smoke, but I just don't want to be around them while they're doing it, or be downwind from any smoking areas.

Charles

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 11:30 am

Outdoors I dont care. Indoors in summer and when I am allowed to open the window its ok. Indoor, when I am not allowed to open a window I hate it. My eye linses start to prickle after some while and if there is much smoke I start to get some kind of fog before my yes on the linses, I get tired, sometimes headache, I just want to leave then and can get very aggressive if I am not allowed too, specially when the person smoking wants to force me to stay with him in his s**t room.

I am smoker myself, but would never smoke in rooms. I had some troubles with working collegues because of this, because they thought they would be allowed to smoke in my office, and didnt understand that I neither smoke myself in my office, nor want anyone else to do this.

EnglishJess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 12:59 pm

I have to put up with my stepdad all the time. It's even worse when I've got a cold and have no choice but to breathe through my mouth.