Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 7:07 am

It's my birthday and I can sleep through it if I want to.

Anyone else dislike birthdays? The only consistent thing about them other then they come along once a year every year is that they are always a huge disappointment. I decided on my twenty first (two hours before my sister and her hubby where supposed to take me out for drinks they cancelled -- then my mum went and said "It should really be my day since I gave birth to you" fine, please! Take it!) that I wasn't going to so much as acknowledge them anymore. I don't either aside from here. Everyone knows I don't so much as want a card, but then they try to sneak one in as if I'm only faking my dislike for this day being 'special'. Nope, not faking. It's just another day, sun would rise if I'm breathing this morning or not. It makes me want to seclude myself even more to prevent people even mentioning it.

Am I alone on this? Or do any of you feel like this too?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 7:10 am

I enjoy birthdays, because they're a celebration of life. Happy Birthday regardless! :D

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 7:18 am

^ grrrrr.

lol

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 7:19 am

They're alright. Another year older though sorta spooks me

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 7:30 am

I agree, it can spook you.. at least make you realize you better get your butt in gear and enjoy life in any way you can while you still have it.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 9:49 am

Canceling with two hours' notice is really not nice.

I don't really like birthdays because my birthday every year is a reminder that I'm irreversibly getting old. It's more a sad day than a day to celebrate. I've been feeling like that since I was 18.

Nowadays I don't do anything for my birthday though my family send me some nice things for my birthday every year.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 10:10 am

its a mixed bag for me-I like them because I am still able to reach that point-but it is a reminder that I have led a denied life due to AS and did not get to do the things my peers have done and I feel cheated and one year my parents forgot my birthday-and on my birthday I generally end up spending it alone.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 12:22 pm

I'm a pretty simple person and my mummy gives me a dinner of my choice and cake on my birthday. That's enough to make me happy so I love my birthday.

bubuaspie
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Feb 2013, 1:48 pm

Really for me my birthday isn't all that special and to the point that one of them I actually gave my birthday present to one of my sisters because I could care less, then another one I actually spent money for the whole family for sushi as I thought I liked the company better and that was a present enough, now a days I really care less about any birthday to the point that I do not even know the birthdays of my family members, maybe I should care though I really do not care about mine so I guess that evens out. It means more to me that we are together and happy more so than me one day out of the year, even more so that random acts of love mean more than my birthday.

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 2:30 pm

I agree on random.. un-birthdays and surprises are so much better.

I must admit that the one thing that I always have liked about this day is that I share it with the character Agent Dana Scully on The X-Files. One of the best characters and the best show on tv. ❤