Page 9 of 10 [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 6:08 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
In Britain and Ireland "shag" means the F word. In one movie every other line of dialogue was "Oh go shag off!"

I wonder if the BBFC made them change the title of "Austin powers, the spy who shagged me."

ShyTalking
Toucan
Toucan

16 Apr 2015, 8:32 pm

Yeah
Baby

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 8:36 pm

wordless moans in general.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 10:02 pm

There is the whole American justice system-which is all about incarcerating ever more people-by expanding the penal system -by the building of ever more prisons.

So...America leads the World in...penal erections!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 10:18 pm

auntblabby wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
In Britain and Ireland "shag" means the F word. In one movie every other line of dialogue was "Oh go shag off!"

I wonder if the BBFC made them change the title of "Austin powers, the spy who shagged me."

The title did cause problems in the UK, and around the world.

In the UK the film would be advertised on TV as "The Spy Who....*" during prime time, and would be advertised by the full title late at night.

In Singapore the movie was named something that roughly translates as "the Spy Who Made Me Glad", and in China it was "The Spy Who Liked Me A lot". In Finland it was "the Spy Who Bumped Me".

On the other hand in Brazil it was entitled an idiom that translates as "The Spy Who Was Good in the Sack".

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 10:21 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
The title did cause problems in the UK, and around the world. In the UK the film would be advertised on TV as "The Spy Who....*" during prime time, and would be advertised by the full title late at night.
In Singapore the movie was named something that roughly translates as "the Spy Who Made Me Glad", and in China it was "The Spy Who Liked Me A lot". In Finland it was "the Spy Who Bumped Me". On the other hand in Brazil it was entitled an idiom that translates as "The Spy Who Was Good in the Sack".

that all reminds me in the late 70s the tv miniseries "the bastard" caused censorship problems in the south, so they renamed it "kent family chronicles" for southern viewers so as not to cause offense to quasi-virgin ears/eyes down there. :roll:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 9:21 am

auntblabby wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
The title did cause problems in the UK, and around the world. In the UK the film would be advertised on TV as "The Spy Who....*" during prime time, and would be advertised by the full title late at night.
In Singapore the movie was named something that roughly translates as "the Spy Who Made Me Glad", and in China it was "The Spy Who Liked Me A lot". In Finland it was "the Spy Who Bumped Me". On the other hand in Brazil it was entitled an idiom that translates as "The Spy Who Was Good in the Sack".

that all reminds me in the late 70s the tv miniseries "the bastard" caused censorship problems in the south, so they renamed it "kent family chronicles" for southern viewers so as not to cause offense to quasi-virgin ears/eyes down there. :roll:

Don't remember that miniseries.

Was the title character that literally, or figuratively? Lol!

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 9:24 am

Erected as in ' the building was erected in 1955'

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 1:29 pm

skuzzy sounds kinda skuzzy IMHO :nerdy:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 11:13 am

starfox wrote:
Erected as in ' the building was erected in 1955'

And what if the edifice under construction happens to be a new prison?

Then it's a "penal erection"!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 11:32 am

^^^

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 2:09 pm

thank you

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 2:46 pm

It's funny how some words that are perfectly fine here in North America are actually dirty in other parts of the world, even the UK. I learned while on The Transformers Wiki that "slag", which Transformer characters often use in place of a swear word, means "sl*t in the UK. Slag is actually a glassy by-product taken from metal ore, so it makes sense that robots would use it.

Also I didn't know spunk was a term for ejaculation in the UK instead of just meaning to be brave and adventuresome until I read some of the comments made on Engrish.com where the word was used. I jokingly said, "I guess the next thing you'll be telling me is that gay means something else besides being really happy". :lol:

MisterSpock
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 3:55 pm

I've always thought fustigate sounds like something you could be cautioned by the police for (I know what it actually means, and you're more likely to be arrested for that). But I mean like "he fustigated himself". I know a lot of people think uvula sounds "dirty". It's likely followed by an "ooh err", but then again, I do work in a Carry On movie.

@lostonearth35 I know the classic misunderstanding that fag means cigarette here in the UK. For it to take the American meaning, we use the longer form you are familiar with, meaning bundle of collection of wood - a fa***t.

And of course, squeaky bum time.

EDIT: Ah, the filter picked up my reference to firewood grouping...

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 4:43 pm

MisterSpock wrote:
I've always thought fustigate sounds like something you could be cautioned by the police for (I know what it actually means, and you're more likely to be arrested for that). But I mean like "he fustigated himself". I know a lot of people think uvula sounds "dirty". It's likely followed by an "ooh err", but then again, I do work in a Carry On movie.

@lostonearth35 I know the classic misunderstanding that fag means cigarette here in the UK. For it to take the American meaning, we use the longer form you are familiar with, meaning bundle of collection of wood - a fa***t.

And of course, squeaky bum time.

EDIT: Ah, the filter picked up my reference to firewood grouping...

Makes no difference whether you say "fag", or "fa***t" here in the U.S.. Either way it means "a male homosexual".

How fag/fa***t came to mean that I have no idea. A fa***t really means "a bundle of sticks"- sticks that you have gathered for kindling. So its easy to see how a "burning stick" evolved into slang for a "cigarette". But how you get from a bundle of sticks to a homosexual person I have no idea.

ShyTalking
Toucan
Toucan

18 Apr 2015, 6:44 pm

spent