Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

SphinxFace
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Aug 2013, 7:30 pm

So my parents have this cat. She's only 11 but I think she might have hyperthyroidism. Shes become very hyper, vocal, food obsessed but has been loosing weight and her hair is thinning out quite a bit. My parents don't want to spend a lot of money on her, and I don't really have any money to spend on her either so treatment isn't really an option. I am thinking about maybe euthanizing her if it is actually hyperthyroidism, of course I'll at least take her to the vet to get it checked out for sure (maybe it's something with a simple fix?) she seems so young though but I don't want her to suffer, I would like to have someone come here to do it too... Ugh I feel bad but there really isn't much we can do for her. I don't think anyone would want to adopt a sick cat with some behavioral issues :/

SphinxFace
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Aug 2013, 7:35 pm

Maybe this should have gone in the members section, I wasn't sure?

EmberEyes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2013, 7:48 pm

My advice is to take her to the vet and go from there. Maybe all she need is a change in diet, who knows? I know it is rare, but sometimes you can find other people to adopt the cat, even if she has health issues. Perhaps you could try to find someone? If she does have an illness that isn't within your means to treat/cure, and you can't find anyone who wants to adopt her, then letting her fall asleep in the vet's office is the humane thing to do. It's horrible to have to let your furry family members go, but you have to make sure you make your decisions based on what is best for the cat.
I wish you all the best.

SphinxFace
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Aug 2013, 9:36 pm

I just talked to my mom about the vet/euthanasia and she said she wont pay for it.

We've asked around about someone to adopt her before she was sick but we couldn't find anyone. I suppose I could resort to Craigslist? Plea her case, maybe ask for donations or adoption?

Last edited by SphinxFace on 06 Aug 2013, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SphinxFace
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Aug 2013, 9:44 pm

Is there a better place other than Craigslist to plea her case?

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 10:54 pm

SphinxFace wrote:
Is there a better place other than Craigslist to plea her case?

Look for cat rescues in your area, and ask around at vet's offices and maybe even pet stores -- sometimes the people working there will adopt high needs cats, or be able to refer you to a cat rescue, or know somebody who might adopt a high needs cat.

Love transcends all.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Aug 2013, 2:07 pm

My girlfriend's cat has that for a couple years now & is about the same age(I think). What you described sounds like it could be the same thing but I didn't know her cat before she got treatment so don't hold me to this. Her thyroid is managed by medication & the pills are relatively cheap but it's the cost of all the vet stuff that is really expensive. It is also a pain to give her her pill as well because it has to be well hidden in a bit of food because she won't eat it otherwise & the dose that works best for her is a 3rd of a pill 3x a day so it is abit of extra work. There is a procedure called iodine radiation therapy & the vet said it would cost like eleven-hounded. It is expensive but cheaper in the long run & they may have a good financing plan. My girlfriend will probably go that route eventually because giving the very finickey cat a 3rd of a pill 3x a day is a hassle & having to bring her to the vet every few months is a pain as well as expensive. Me & her need to go there & buy some more pills this week; I think it cost like $20 for 60 or something but I could be wrong & wrong about some of this other stuff to. The vet also told us about a a credit-card thing they accept called Care Credit that is interest free for 6months. Something to look into incase the vet accepts it & you can get approved with that offer; I think docs & medical things for people sometimes accept it too but it depends. I get why you don't want to spend alot on an animal that's 11 years old but if you can do the Care Credit thing with the vet or work out some other kind of financing plan & you could work out financing for the radiation for like 3/4 years then the cost per month shouldn't be too bad.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition