Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

What is your experience with burdocks?
That is the first time I hear about htem 75%  75%  [ 6 ]
Yes I seen them and I feel they are cursed 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes I seen them and they are no different from other leafs 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes I seen them. I didn't like their texture, but still it is better than hot stove 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I SOMEWHAT didn't like their testure but it wasn't anything that serious 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
When I touched them I didn't see anything noticeable about their texture 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Actually I find their texture enjoyable 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 8

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2007, 3:09 am

In case you don't know what burdocks are, these are huge leaves that sometimes grow near the road. I don't think I seen it in California, but I seen some burdocks in midwest.In the linkns below they are mainly focussing on bushes of burdocks that grow in forests, but like I said, somteimes there are also a few burdock leaves growing near roads. Here are the links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burdock
http://www.vet.purdue.edu/depts/addl/toxic/plant02.htm

Anyway, when I was little I touched a burdock and I didn't like the texture of the leave. Ever since then, touching burdock is my worst nightmare. I remember, back at the age of 12, I had to go past a burdock and I couldn't go because I was so scared my legs would touch it. After I was standing for 3 minutes, my cousin had to pull it out in order for me to be able to walk.

Even now touching burdock is my worst nightmare. I woudl rather touch a hot stove than a burdock. In fact, hte thing about hot stove being hot is what makes it EASIER for me to touch it. Because in case of hot stove I can pin point something, well it is hot. In other words there is nothing wrong with it OTHER THAN the fact that it is hot. But in case of burdock I don't even nkow why is it I don't like to touch it, and htis sense of NOT KNOWING makes it seem that the leaf itself is cursed. In case of hot stove I can separate the stove itself from hotness. But in case of burdock I can't separate leaf from its curse. Leaf BECAME a curse.

Anyway, I would like to ask you guys, have you ever seen burdocks growing near a road? Do you also feel that the leaf is cursed? have you ever touch them? If so, how did it feel?

djrx
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jan 2007, 3:15 am

never seen the plant growing wild, or if I have, I had no idea what it was.

It used to be made into a quite popular drink in England, dandelion & burdock.

I think they use the roots. You can still get it, but I think they are all flavourings now, no real burdock in there.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2007, 3:15 am

I don't think I have ever seen burdocks.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

mikh07
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2007, 3:25 am

I don't think these grow here in Hawaii

Frannie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jan 2007, 7:00 pm

Roman, I eat the burdock roots frequently. It cleans out our digestive system. :D

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2007, 7:39 pm

Frannie wrote:
Roman, I eat the burdock roots frequently. It cleans out our digestive system. :D

So do you buy burdock roots, or do you pick up burdocks from the road ? If the latter is the case, do you find it disguisting if you accidentally touch the leaf as you carry them home? Do you carefully avoid touching the leaves by holding them by the root and stuff?

Frannie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jan 2007, 8:04 pm

Roman wrote:
Frannie wrote:

So do you buy burdock roots, or do you pick up burdocks from the road ? If the latter is the case, do you find it disguisting if you accidentally touch the leaf as you carry them home? Do you carefully avoid touching the leaves by holding them by the root and stuff?

Erm...I buy them at the store so i never have to touch the leaves as they're sold as just the root. Sorry to say I do not pick them outdoors, but there must be some people who do. What about you? Do you like touching the leaves or no? :?

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2007, 8:07 pm

Frannie wrote:
Roman wrote:
Frannie wrote:

Erm...I buy them at the store so i never have to touch the leaves as they're sold as just the root. Sorry to say I do not pick them outdoors, but there must be some people who do. What about you? Do you like touching the leaves or no? :?

So why don't you pick them at the outdoors? After all, you have to pay for roots at the grocery store, while outdoors you can get the roots for free.

To answer your question, I hate touching the burdock leaves. So my personal theory as to why people have to pay for burdocks at the store is that they want to avoid touching the leaves. Is my theory correct in your case?

Frannie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jan 2007, 8:33 pm

Yes, and for many people (myself included), touching the leaves gives us contact dermititis, so there you have it. I guessed that you didn't like touching the leaves. :)

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2007, 9:11 pm

Frannie wrote:
Yes, and for many people (myself included), touching the leaves gives us contact dermititis, so there you have it. I guessed that you didn't like touching the leaves. :)

So, if you didn't have to worry about contact dermitis, would you still avoid touching the leaves? Do you dislike their texture, the way I do?

Frannie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jan 2007, 9:45 pm

Roman wrote:
Frannie wrote:

So, if you didn't have to worry about contact dermitis, would you still avoid touching the leaves? Do you dislike their texture, the way I do?

Yes! It's pretty bleh! isn't it? :)

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 12:46 am

Yup, it is :)