Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jan 2014, 5:18 am

Ever since the beginning of our species, we have had a primal fixation with water and its healing properties and its ability to purify. In Greek philosophy, Thales believed that water was the source of everything to some extent he is right. As we search for life on Mars and other planets, we inevitably search for water in such planetary areas since life can only be born through the presence of water. In a sense, the origin of water can be seen as the origin of life. We consume around 14600 gallons of water in a lifetime and it is true that our bodies are around seventy percent water. We are reliant of water to live but also to wash, feel refreshed, clean clothes and even power engines to some extent. Water can be seen as the fluid by which things are powered and because of this we constantly hear of water crises, especially in countries like Africa, where it is not available. It is a valued and precious substance- an alchemical elixir of life.

The religious significance of water has been around for thousands of years. In Christianity, water plays an essential feature and is seen as purifying the individual during baptism and cleansing the persons soul of sin. Although this is seen more nowadays as a declaration as an individual's faith, water is still seen as a religious signifier of the purity of the soul and because of this Jesus described himself as 'living water'. Holy water that has been blessed can also be used to apparently banish demonic spirits and in western ceremonial magic, it is important for the magician to cleanse the temple by sprinkling water in each corner of the temple. Although this may be seen as being ridiculous, it may provide some sort of psychological benefit. In Hinduism also, water is seen as being highly sacred and many Hindus bathe in the river Ganges since it is thought of providing some spiritual power and potency and the dying are given a sip in order to apparently cure them. Again, water is seen as an alchemical elixir that can cure, purify and contains spiritual power.

In the modern world, we still look for the spiritual power of water. Even during our morning showers, we find a place where our dream-soaked minds can seek refuge in the hot steaming waters of the shower and contemplate in solitude while feeling refreshed and rejuvenated before putting our ties on setting off to work. Website like rainymood.com also provide people with the sound of rain, which many people find relaxing and there has even been evidence to show that the sound of rain can help alleviate stress. In floatation tanks, we are surrounded by water and deprived of sensory stimulation and many people claim that they regress back to a 'womb like state'. Once again, though in a modernized context, there is a link between the life giving properties of womb and the water it contains.

Water is important and there is much to learn from it. Unlike solids, it is pragmatic, versatile and moves in correspondence with a change in environment. The qualities of water, some may say, are the qualities we should try and emulate. In the book by Herman Hesse Siddhartha, Siddhartha finds enlightenment by staring at a stream and in the slow trickle of water, he sees the ever-changing cosmic flow of the universe, never fixed, but forever changing in a state of universal flux.

I hope you enjoyed my essay and it wasn't too boring and monotonous. Thank you for reading. :)

JoeDaBro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jan 2014, 7:44 am

Longest post of the year award! Round of applause for fibonaccispiral!

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jan 2014, 7:58 am

JoeDaBro wrote:

I don't known whether or not that is supposed to be a compliment or a complaint?

Solitudinarian
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2014, 11:38 am

I didn't find your post overly long or boring. It is very well written, and I'm used to reading much longer texts :) Plus I find the topic quite interesting because water played a major role in the evolution of our species. If our distant ancestors had not invented a way to transport water, which wasn't exactly plentiful in the African savannah, modern humans wouldn't exist today.

Our early ancestors had to conserve food energy and retain water to survive, and they had no effective method to prevent their bodies from overheating. This means they ate, slept, and did very little else in between. Like modern day apes, they likely spent 65% of their waking time sitting around doing nothing. Modern humans, on the other hand, rarely ever rest during the day. We can remain active for 18 or more hours if necessary, and we can sweat to cool ourselves. As a result, we require far more water than any other land-dwelling animal species.

What made this evolution possible was probably the single most important invention in the history of humanity, the dried bottle gourd. Using gourds as a portable water storage device would have enabled our proto-human ancestors to venture far away from watering holes, and evolve a wasteful, sweat-based cooling system. Which in turn enabled them to follow animal herds across the open landscape and chase them to exhaustion. Unlike early humans, animals like gazelles can't eat and drink on the go, so all our ancestors had to do was to keep following them at a distance until the hungry and dehydrated animals collapsed.

This is how we became the most fearsome and successful predator on earth. All thanks to our special relationship with water, which was also vitally important when we made the transition from hunters and gatherers to sedentary farmers and invented the first irrigation systems. I suppose this explains our great cultural fascination with this chemical compound.

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jan 2014, 12:52 pm

Solitudinarian wrote:
I didn't find your post overly long or boring. It is very well written, and I'm used to reading much longer texts :) Plus I find the topic quite interesting because water played a major role in the evolution of our species. If our distant ancestors had not invented a way to transport water, which wasn't exactly plentiful in the African savannah, modern humans wouldn't exist today.

Our early ancestors had to conserve food energy and retain water to survive, and they had no effective method to prevent their bodies from overheating. This means they ate, slept, and did very little else in between. Like modern day apes, they likely spent 65% of their waking time sitting around doing nothing. Modern humans, on the other hand, rarely ever rest during the day. We can remain active for 18 or more hours if necessary, and we can sweat to cool ourselves. As a result, we require far more water than any other land-dwelling animal species.

What made this evolution possible was probably the single most important invention in the history of humanity, the dried bottle gourd. Using gourds as a portable water storage device would have enabled our proto-human ancestors to venture far away from watering holes, and evolve a wasteful, sweat-based cooling system. Which in turn enabled them to follow animal herds across the open landscape and chase them to exhaustion. Unlike early humans, animals like gazelles can't eat and drink on the go, so all our ancestors had to do was to keep following them at a distance until the hungry and dehydrated animals collapsed.

This is how we became the most fearsome and successful predator on earth. All thanks to our special relationship with water, which was also vitally important when we made the transition from hunters and gatherers to sedentary farmers and invented the first irrigation systems. I suppose this explains our great cultural fascination with this chemical compound.

That is really fascinating and I may just have to look at that dimension more actually. So through the use of a respiratory system and the ability to store water through man-made containers and constantly re-hydrate ourselves, we were able to get the evolutionary upper hand over other animals? That is really interesting. Thus, water can also be seen as an evolutionary agent that can allow animals to become superior to others. I love water since there are so many dimensions to write about it.
I have also written a blog where I explore the idea of sound if you wish to read it-
http://fibonaccispirals777.wordpress.com/

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jan 2014, 12:54 pm

Solitudinarian wrote:

It is amazing how such a frivolous change in environment can create such a butterfly effect in evolution. If we hadn't had water at our disposal, we wouldn't be here today. Such banal things create such powerful effects. It is much like how if the tiny rodent-like animal that was each animals common ancestor was crushed on by a dinosaur we would not have the diversity of life we have today.

wcoltd
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 1:21 pm

The story goes a group of pranksters in Austrailia (Not the Chasers War) started a dihydrogen monoxide ban, they got several thousand people to sign a petition banning dihydrogen monoxide.

is called "hydroxyl acid", the substance is the major component of acid rain.
contributes to the "greenhouse effect".
may cause severe burns.
is fatal if inhaled.
contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.
Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:

Dihydrogen Monoxide
as an industrial solvent and coolant.
in nuclear power plants.
in the production of Styrofoam.
as a fire retardant.
in many forms of cruel animal research.
in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, product remains contaminated by this chemical.
as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.

Supposedly An Australian representative even made an impassioned speech on the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide in front of the Australian Parliament!

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jan 2014, 1:31 pm

Haha, sorry my brain wasn't working well today so I didn't get it for a few seconds. Haha, that is hilarious though!

Fisplen
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 4:12 pm

Good post! Got me thinking at least.

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 4:35 pm

fibonaccispiral777 wrote:
JoeDaBro wrote:

I don't known whether or not that is supposed to be a compliment or a complaint?

Well, he did say round of applause, so obviously it's a compliment.

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jan 2014, 4:47 pm

Sedentarian wrote:
fibonaccispiral777 wrote:
JoeDaBro wrote:

Well, he did say round of applause, so obviously it's a compliment.

True, although I thought they were being sarcastic.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 10:45 pm

wcoltd wrote:
The story goes a group of pranksters in Austrailia (Not the Chasers War) started a dihydrogen monoxide ban, they got several thousand people to sign a petition banning dihydrogen monoxide.

is called "hydroxyl acid", the substance is the major component of acid rain.
contributes to the "greenhouse effect".
may cause severe burns.
is fatal if inhaled.
contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.
Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:

Dihydrogen Monoxide
as an industrial solvent and coolant.
in nuclear power plants.
in the production of Styrofoam.
as a fire retardant.
in many forms of cruel animal research.
in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, product remains contaminated by this chemical.
as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.

Supposedly An Australian representative even made an impassioned speech on the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide in front of the Australian Parliament!

Dihydrogen monoxide is also VERY addicting!
More so than heroin, crack, or crystal meth!

Ever hear of anyone ever give it up, and survive?

I never have.

So...stay AWAY from that stuff!

wcoltd
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 6:24 pm

Anyone who consumes Dihydrogen monoxide becomes completely dependant on it. Withdrawal effects include kidney failure and death. It is the main byproduct in car exhaust.