Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2014, 7:13 pm

While watching this video of a savant with Aspergers i couldn't help but notice his teeth, which don't appear to be meticulously maintained. I have always had issues with my teeth, sensitivity to brushing and cleaning, so that my teeth looked a lot like the genius in this clip. Is this a common Aspergers issue?

http://blog.theautismsite.com/math-geni ... m=20140805

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2014, 8:23 pm

I think it's mostly genetic.I have really good teeth and used to crack pecans with them as a kid.My son inherited these teeth,unfortunately daughter got her fathers bad teeth and she has already had several cavities,even with proper brushing.Son has none,the dentist raves about them.Some antibiotics can also stain the teeth.

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2014, 10:03 pm

That man is Daniel Tammet. I have his autobiography, and he wrote about his issues with tooth-brushing as a kid; just the thought of having the brush in his mouth made him gag.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2014, 10:20 pm

Thank yous

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2014, 10:42 pm

I wasn't good at brushing my teeth as a child,but we had fluoridated water.Maybe that made a difference.My son didn't like brushing his teeth when he was little,but I made him,even if I had to do it.He's thankful now.Neither he nor I can stand having dirty teeth,it feels like they have a "velvet"coating,that's the best way I describe it.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 3:58 am

Misslizard wrote:
I wasn't good at brushing my teeth as a child,but we had fluoridated water.Maybe that made a difference.My son didn't like brushing his teeth when he was little,but I made him,even if I had to do it.He's thankful now.Neither he nor I can stand having dirty teeth,it feels like they have a "velvet"coating,that's the best way I describe it.

I have always been self isolated and never even thought about oral hygiene. It just never crossed my mind, just like showering. Oral health utensils made me shudder. My teeth deteriorated so badly that I was hoarding painkillers by the hundreds to deal with the pain. I finally, last year, had to succumb and just have all my teeth pulled. Got free dentures but cannot stand the feel of them in my mouth any more than I could deal with brushes and flosses. So now I just give up on caring about appearance or public perception. I am not a socialite anyway so no matter, I guess, but whatever possibility of ever having a female companion again has sailed away from me. Different topic, bleh, bleh.

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 5:20 am

I never paid attention to my teeth when I was younger. Now that I have grown older I have no teeth to pay attention to. Such is life.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 12:28 pm

I dread losing my teeth. I cannot afford dental care, so I take as good care of them as I am able, but one by one they are cracking and chipping away. damn. :hmph:

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 12:38 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I dread losing my teeth. I cannot afford dental care, so I take as good care of them as I am able, but one by one they are cracking and chipping away. damn. :hmph:

I took a bite of a cookie and my front tooth chipped. I feel like an old hooptie car.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 12:47 pm

I brushed my teeth then flossed then rinsed, and in the rinse water was a cusp from one of my molars. damn.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 9:33 pm

I broke off a piece of a tooth in a chunk of caramel at work one night and when I asked supervisor to let me off to go to the ER he just called me a "nancy" and said to go back to work

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 9:36 pm

khaoz wrote:
I broke off a piece of a tooth in a chunk of caramel at work one night and when I asked supervisor to let me off to go to the ER he just called me a "nancy" and said to go back to work

I bet my bottom dollar that if it had been him instead he woulda groaned right over to the ER himself. damned hypocrite bosses. :x

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 10:06 pm

I hate brushing my teeth, but I'd better do it...

I also have abnormally sharp canines.

StarsInMyMargarita
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Aug 2014, 10:36 pm

Last year my mom had to have a few teeth pulled, it got infected, and she ended up needing surgery and a stay in the hospital for a week. Sleeping in the hospital is very hard. Yay, vending machine espresso shots.

So I try much harder to remember to brush. But my teeth are very squished together and floss gets stuck and makes me bleed. I can't remember when I was last at a dentist, but I should probably figure out a way to go for my wisdom teeth. Another loan, maybe. lol

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 10:48 pm

My teeth wasn't all that bad till I went through a custody dispute, the stress of it all over a 3 year period of time and no matter how hard I tried its like they turned into milk teeth shattering over the littlest things, now about half my teeth are either gone or broken in some way.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 10:51 pm

almost all my molars are filled or caps.